Special Ops Paintball: Is this normal (noob went hardcore in 5 months) - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this normal (noob went hardcore in 5 months) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gravdigr

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

A lil background since this is my first post. I am a 33 year old avid gamer. Started with counterstrike back in 99 and since then played every tactical shooter I could get my hands on. The downside of this was as I got older my ass got bigger from sitting and playing (I'm 6' 260 lbs). Then one of the youngins that works for me introduced me to paintball and I though "huh, this seems like a fun way to get/stay in shape" and I went out and bought my first marker (Tippmann 98c). Now 5 months later I own the same 98c (with response trigger and folding stock) plus an older used 98c (will be modding it soon), 98c pro (with response trigger, cyclone hopper, and flatline), spyder, marauder, and tpx with holster plus 7 co2 tanks, hpa tank, a bag full of masks, tac vest, full paintball outfit with kneepads (kneeling hurts my less than perfect knees) and gloves. Got the new big tippmann bag to store it all in, joined a local urban combat paintball arena and sponsored a team of which I am captain, and generally spend all my free time learning everything I can about paintball. Especially marker design, maintenence, mods, and repair. The one thing I am most thrilled about is the strategy. In my counterstrike clan I was usually the squad leader barking out orders and managing the map. The paintball tactics fit so easily with that. It got to the point I purchased radios for my team and ordered military grade throat mics for them.

We play every sunday and I have to admit the first 2 mondays the pain was excruciating. I was using muscles in my legs from crouch walking that hadn't been used in a long time and they basically said screw you. But after a couple weeks the pain went away and I can run and gun with the best of them. It drives my wife nuts and I am limited to playing 1 day a week unless there are special circumstances (multi day events).

I fell hard for this sport. Is that normal? I bought almost a half dozen markers so my friends could play with me. I have sunk hundreds if not thousands of dollars into equipment, arena fees, and paint ($80/case at the arena, have to use their paint).

I'm on the right

Posted Image

Me in my camo

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Droop 

• Professional Noobsmith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Droopy Squirrel

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

yeah sounds pretty normal.. to an extreme, but yeah. get your buddies involved and hooked and get them to buy that gear off you so that they can have their OWN guns and you can get some if not most of your money back to put into different equipment or buy more paint ;)
From the guy who used to have all the guns, Its not worth it to clean them after someone else uses it.. know what i mean?
Droop

My Feedback Member of Garage Inc. Official Pump User #100 Automaggot #91
My Trigger SC Feed comma club member #6

So because I play scenarios, I won't buy a high-end unless it has rails at useless angles, and has a machine-gun shroud bolted on it?-Maduce

#3 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, definitely normal. ;) Welcome!
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#4 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gravdigr

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

I hear ya about cleaning. I have an employee of my company that is on my team and into it like I am. One day during the week he stays after work and we lay out all the markers and masks that got used and do our cleaning and maintenence on them. I have had a few friends that offered to buy some of my markers, mainly the 2 extra tippmanns. My problem is I got attached to them. One was the first marker I bought, 98c with RT and folding stock, another is my primary weapon 98c pro with RT, cyclone hopper and flatline, and the third is a 98c with serial 2,xxx. It's an older custom I got used for $60 and shoots beautifully. No one wants the spider or marauder lol.

One thing since my company is an official sponsor of my team I can claim most of the expenses as deductions hehe.

#5 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:44 PM

It happens to the best of us man :P
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

That's fantastic. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. It's a great game and there's so many aspects to it.

#7 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

LOL I did the same thing.

All my friends think I am crazy :rolleyes:

#8 User is offline   ike123 

• Cha togar m' fhearg gun dýoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:54 PM

Now all ya gotta do, is discover the beauty of high end markers. Especially since it looks like you can afford it...
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

It's paintball. There's nothing normal about it. People play in weird costumes, guys wear kilts, snipers do and don't exists...... Going hardcore in 5 months... that's small potatoes in a lot of cases.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#10 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

Yeah its pretty normal (if you have the budget that is), but that being said you also have about 60% chance of "Burning out" and quiting paintball within 48 months. If you make through with out burning out you'll more than likely get in to speedball, high end markers (which will make you wish you would have bought sooner espically after moding your 98s), and scenario play as well.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#11 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

Welcome!
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#12 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

Oh my god, you're so WEIRD! :dodgy:

That sounds exactly like my story, except I got the head-start on you cuz I was like twelve at the time. Anyway it's not your imagination, paintball really is THAT AWESOME. You should spend all your free time talking about it on the forums, like I do!
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#13 User is offline   Droop 

• Professional Noobsmith
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Droopy Squirrel

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

i agree with ike on the high end marker thing. i didnt wanna knock tippys because they are excellent beginner markers, but start to take a look at upper grade guns i.e. the macdev drone (a tactical bodied highend)
Droop

My Feedback Member of Garage Inc. Official Pump User #100 Automaggot #91
My Trigger SC Feed comma club member #6

So because I play scenarios, I won't buy a high-end unless it has rails at useless angles, and has a machine-gun shroud bolted on it?-Maduce

#14 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

sounds like what happened to me... by the way, theres nothing normal about paintball.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#15 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

Someone my wife knows at work had this as her Facebook update a while back: "Guys who waste their money on paintball need kicked in the *ahem*, go get a real hobby!" My guess is her boyfriend was probably buying paint instead of flowers for her :D. Some people get it, some people don't... you get it. So congrats on the new addiction, it may be expensive but it's cheaper & less dangerous than other addictions - like crack for example.

So welcome to the forums! Very glad you found us & I hope your time here is as enjoyable as mine has been. Have fun wasting your time here like so many of us have.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users