• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Horizon Hammer (98c) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:37 PM

I've just recently gotten a Dark Horizon lite hammer (titanium) for my 98 custom. When I first unwrapped it, I wasn't incredibly impressed by its weight, untill I took out my stock one. Dark Horizon claims this hammer is about 60% of the weight of the stock hammer, and that feels about right. It went in perfectly into my marker, no problems.

After shooting, I noticed a severe decrease in recoil. After shooting fast bursts, I noticed that my groupings were tighter. This makes sense, because every time you pull the trigger in a fast succession even a minimal amount of recoil can be compounded into a larger and larger degree of error.

My first shot accuracy didn't seem to be effected too much. I felt like I was shooting a little better, because my marker wasn't being jostled around quite as much, but I can't quantify any kind of improvement.

My marker definitely refreshed quicker because the hammer moves so much quicker, so if you're looking for a ROF upgrade, this is it. I don't have a response trigger, but I'm planning on getting one so I'll post on how that works out. While Dark Horizon's site does say that a RT isn't recomended with the lite hammer, a few of the guys over there still use it and it works out just fine for them.

Its a little expensive about 70 bucks after shipping and all of that, but I do think its just about the only meaningful upgrade possible to a 98 custom's internals.

Conclusion: faster ROF+increased accuracy= a happy heavy rifleman

#2 User is offline   ottoman98 

• The Sultan
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sovietsniper

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:37 PM

Howmuch faster would you say it can go?

#3 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:30 PM

ottoman98, on Jul 8 2005, 07:37 PM, said:

Howmuch faster would you say it can go?

Its hard to gauge without a RT, because I can't shoot it to its full potential... I can say that I haven't ever outshot my ricochet sniper hopper (so its not a crazy huge improvement) or chopped paint with it. But in all fairness, I haven't used it that long yet.

This post has been edited by FlamingoChavez: 09 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

#4 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 31 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

- they are a moot point.
It takes a spring upgrade to make the titanium function properly with the RT....however, the extra spring strength negates any noticable benefit from the lighter hammer. $65 worth of exotic crap...not to mention their customer service blows.

The difference will be obvious (weight), but if you install an RT - send the hammer back. I tried every config I could to get the thing to work without burping on the RT - no luck. Even swapped Maddmann spring kits into the marker - tried them all - no luck.
At 14 BPS or so, Tipp internals will "float". It is moving too fast to catch the sear latch, so it pretty much cycles without resetting the sear. All sorts of issues come into play at this point - none of them good.
If it works ok for you in single mode, I would recommend that you keep it that way.
Good luck!
Never try to corner anything that is meaner than you are

#5 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the beta

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic