Special Ops Paintball: Various Camo Patterns at Colorado Scenario Game - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Various Camo Patterns at Colorado Scenario Game Game Date May 17-18

#1 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

Well I got tired of all these posed pics of peope wearing camo and which one works better so I looked over some pics taken by various people and attempted to sort out camo patterns to give an unbiased comparisum of how they worked in mid-May in Colorado.

Most the pic are of the gathering right before the final battle. On to the pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Meline: 11 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#2 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

So the short answer is, they don't. ACU would work well against that tree, but that field is way too open and the wrong color for any of those camos to work.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#3 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

View PostWardenWolf, on Jun 11 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

So the short answer is, they don't. ACU would work well against that tree, but that field is way too open and the wrong color for any of those camos to work.

No camo scheme is perfect however some are more effective than others which is the point of this thread. To show a review various camo patterns, in real life on actual fields, so people can see just how effective (or not) they are.

Lets look at the First and Last pic. Clearly the ACU and Multicams do a better job of camoflauging the wearers than Black, Woodland, DCU, and Blue Jeans.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#4 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:39 AM

That last picture lacks validity because it's not true color. The color balance is off. But even the multicam doesn't work good there. I wouldn't say it's any better than the ACU. At least the ACU will blend in with that tree.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 11 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#5 User is offline   Rednecker 

• Hard to hit a 5'6 100 pound target huh.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rednecker

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

Yes it is way too open and the grass is too short for it to work. I can pick up every player just as easily. However if you were in the trees then the acu would work best.
If you've bunkered someone put this in your sig.

Pain is temporary
But glory lasts forever

#6 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

*Shakes head* It's time like this when I truely wonder about this site...

Well you heard it here first boys and girls It makes no difference if you wear ACU, Multicam, DCUs, BDUs, blue jeans, speedball jerseys, blaze orange, or pink polkadots as you can be picked out just as easily.

Well I guess its back to posting clearly posed, biased, pictures to prove how effective a camo "really is".
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#7 User is offline   mrwaffles 

• Part time crazy person
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mrwaffles

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

Nobody is going to blend into the environment in an open field with ~3-inch grass and no ghillie suit. Plus, 2 of the 4 pictures are lacking in quality AND all of the pictures are taken in the same general area so the statement “It makes no difference if you wear… you can be picked out just as easily” is not correct. Not a very good comparison in my opinion. I don’t think any conclusion about camo can be made from these pictures except the obvious one that no camo can blend in everywhere.

#8 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

This is more than likely a lost cause but...

How Camouflage works

The most basic camouflage is the sort worn by soldiers on the battlefield. Conventional camouflage clothing has two basic elements that help conceal a person: color and pattern.

Camouflage material is colored with dull hues that match the predominant colors of the surrounding environment. In jungle warfare, camouflage is typically green and brown, to match the forest foliage and dirt. In the desert, military forces use a range of tan colors. Camouflage for snowy climates is colored with whites and grays. To complete the concealment, soldiers paint their face with colors matching the camouflage material.

Camouflage material may have a single color, or it may have several similarly colored patches mixed together. The reason for using this sort of pattern is that it is visually disruptive. The meandering lines of the mottled camouflage pattern help hide the contour -- the outline -- of the body. When you look at a piece of mottled camouflage in a matching environment, your brain naturally "connects" the lines of the colored blotches with the lines of the trees, ground, leaves and shadows. This affects the way you perceive and recognize the person or object wearing that camouflage.

Human perception naturally categorizes things in the world as separate objects. When you look at a scene, you are gathering an immense amount of information with your eyes and other senses. In order for your conscious mind to make any sense out of this information, your brain has to break it down into component parts. When your brain perceives a long, vertical area of brown with green blotches connected to it, you perceive a tree. And when your brain perceives many, many individual trees in a given area, you perceive a forest.

One thing your brain is always looking for when analyzing visual information is continuity. Imagine a stack of 12 blocks. If all of the blocks are colored red, you perceive the pile as one unit. But if the bottom six blocks are red and the top six blocks are blue, you may perceive the pile as two separate units: a stack of blue blocks on top of a stack of red blocks. And if you were to randomly mix blue blocks and red blocks together, you wouldn't group them into colored units at all. We tend to recognize something as a separate object if it has one continuous color, so a person is much more likely to stand out when wearing a single color than when wearing a jumble of colors. In the jungle, you perceive the jumble of colors in camouflage material as many small things that are component parts of the surrounding foliage.

In this way, mottled camouflage helps people go undetected even though they are in plain sight. Once you have spotted a camouflaged person, he stands out, and it seems odd that you didn't see him before. This is because your brain is now processing the visual scene differently -- it is looking for a single person.

Now then based on the information provided above (assuming it was even read) what the intent of posting these pics (taken by others at a Colorado scenario game) was to examine 1. How well the various color patterns match in to the predominate terrain colors in the area the pics were taken and 2. how well various camouflage patterns disrupt the contour of the body.

In order to do so I wanted pics of several people wearing different camoflauge patterns in an open space with out any biasing concelment to evalutate just how well theses camouflage patterns do with the basic fundmental principles of camofluage.

What I did not expect was a mass of Spec ops posters who are so highly skilled that their keen powers of observation are not effected by differing color contrasts, or fooled by any pattering, to such an extent that it renders the very basis of how camouflage works a mute point.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

#9 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

the level, curves, saturation levels are screwed up seriously on a few images!

camo, is camo...it's designed to subdue the object (person wearing it).

in the sunlight shadows will be casted and thus darkening certain areas on the human form. Making it easier to detect someone, something in an open space, no matter the camouflage.

The big thing to remember here: Most camouflages above are designed for the military (yep, there's hunting camo too, yay!).
A lot of military operations/movement/action take place over long distances.

example: woodland across an open valley can appear like a dark form (seen it with my own eyes). ACU appears lighter and thus should be harder to spot over longer distances.
Lighter camo helps you blend into your environment better than darker traditional style camouflage in most cases. Especially at distances!
take a set of ACU, Multicam, Omni Pat, Marpat, Woodland etc etc. place those in the field and observe at a few hundred feet to see their effectiveness.

in the Army, I recall seeing soldiers at hundreds of meters because of the use of the darker camouflage. The lighter camo patterns are a lot tougher
on the eye to spot, especially at distances.

Another thing to note. ACU gets knocked on. When clean and fresh, you want to say Dirty Acronym when you look at it? Soldiers wearing it are normally not keeping it clean.
When ACU gets desert sand on it, dirt on it etc. I've seen it become a lot more effective. I doubt I'd want to wear it in some lush South American Jungle, but hey...

it's all about being subdued...

#10 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:45 PM

I think a reason for the variation in pic contrast and color is they are from different people's pics of the same event. Its ironic that two unrelated people took similar pics of the guy in the Empire pants but it worked out for what I wanted to do. Also I used only pics I could possatively identify camo patterns. There were tons of pics that you couldn't which patterns were which.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users