Special Ops Paintball: My Choice of Tippmann 98 Upgrades - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Choice of Tippmann 98 Upgrades

#1 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Nelos

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hey everyone, I purchased a Tippmann 98 a couple of weeks ago (my first paintball gun), and I wanted to get some feedback from paint-ballers who use this as their choice of marker. What upgrades would you recommend for the Tippmann 98? I've been doing some research, and here's a short list of things I found that I thought might be good for my marker.

*Zero Kick Hammer

*Flatline Platinum Barrel [98] - (How is this barrel in comparison to a 16'?)

*APE Rampage Circuit Board

*Cyclone Feed Upgrade (with TechT Vortex Mod; Lightening Rod; and QEPH.)

What are your thoughts on these parts, and is there anything other parks you would recommend upgrading?

#2 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:33 AM

If I had longer I could go into more detail...

Anything that has to do with raising the performance of your marker is a great investment. I would stay away from the Flatline in all honesty. I'm not sure that an APE board is necessary either, but if you want the firepower, then a Cyclone will be a necessity along with the board.
-Ty

#3 User is offline   Sneaky Big Foot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Let me ask How much do you have to spend, and how long between upgrades? Also what is your stile of play and how often do you play? I really cant suggest a lot that would really help you with out a answer to one or two of those questions but as far as the list already stated it looks like you did a bit of research and most of those are not bad choices but I would suggest a tippmann 98C drop forward, a double trigger, a sling and a rocket cock and for speed a response trigger.

This post has been edited by Sneaky Big Foot: 07 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

hybrid player speedball+woodsball its sweet
Cna you raed tihs? piatnblal, sarmt prats, tpipmnan, sohoter ION owner #65

#4 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

I'd get a Lapco Apex ready Bigshot w/ Apex tip installed for around $90 instead of the Flatline. Also, I'd polish the internals.

#5 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

I'll be honest - I'm one of those newbies who, when they first get into something, immediately starts looking for ways to improve his gear before his own skills improve. :) So to answer your question, I have never played paintball, but I know with 100% absolute certainty that it is something I want to do. This weekend I'm headed to my local paintball course as a walk-on, though. As far as my style of play goes, I've read through the styles of play and Sabre fits me the best. I consider myself to be a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none, type of player; that's always been me, lol. And at the moment, I'm a little tight on money, but normally money isn't that big of a question.

View PostWeigel21, on Apr 7 2009, 08:38 AM, said:

I'd get a Lapco Apex ready Bigshot w/ Apex tip installed for around $90 instead of the Flatline. Also, I'd polish the internals.

I've been trying to get a feel on the thoughts of Apex vs Flatline, but I'm still a bit confused on the two. Which would suit the Sabre style of play the best?

This post has been edited by Nelos: 07 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

#6 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

One word of advice, don't go by the positions. They're there to get new players (such as yourself) to buy into all of SpecOps products and mindset.

I will also tell you this, don't go crazy with the upgrades. Play a bit, find out what you need, and go from there. Also, performance over mil-sim looks. Before you start making your marker look like an M16, max out the performance. I would recommend staying away from the Flatline, get an Apex instead. I would also recommend that you use the money you would use to buy a Cyclone and all of those upgrades for the Cyclone to buy an electronic hopper, such as a Halo B, a Reloader B, or one of the higher end loaders such as the Rotor, Prophecy or the Pinokio. The reason for this is 1)The Cyclone relies on air to power, so it can make your already gas hog of a gun even more of a gas hog. 2) If you ever upgrade to another gun, you'll be able to take that loader with you, whereas if you have the Cyclone you'll have to buy another loader. 3) The cost of all of the Cyclone upgrades with the Cyclone itself on Actionvillage.com adds up to $150!!! You could get any of the before mentioned hoppers for that much!!! Just saying, with a 98 there's really no reason to get a Cyclone feed for it.
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#7 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well, the reason I say to go with a Lapco Bigshot w/ Apex tip is because the Apex isn't nearly as picky on paint and Lapco makes great barrels. Also, the Apex can be turned off when you don't need range to improve accuracy or turned up all the way if you want to really sling the paint out there. An Apex can easily out distance a Flatline if need be, but at those extended ranges a bounce becomes more likely. Lastly, and not too important to me, is that the Apex can do trick shots if you can get the hang of it, but taking time to make adjustments during a game may not be possible. I've never used an Apex or a Flatline myself, but I've seen both used and the Apex using Visible Impact seemed on par with the Flatline that was using marballizers.

Nom Carver makes a good point, buy a mid-level (Halo, Torque, Reloader B, Fasta) or high-end (Pinokio, Rotor, Prophecy) loader instead of the Cylcone. Not only are his points valid, but if/when the cyclone gives fits or craps out you'll be SOL whereas if you had a normal loader you could easily switch to the gravity hopper that came with it or another electric loader and only have your marker be down for as long as it takes to make the switch.

This post has been edited by Weigel21: 07 April 2009 - 01:50 PM

#8 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

Groovy, thanks for the input you guys. ^_^

#9 User is offline   TyTy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

View PostWeigel21, on Apr 7 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

Well, the reason I say to go with a Lapco Bigshot w/ Apex tip is because the Apex isn't nearly as picky on paint and Lapco makes great barrels. Also, the Apex can be turned off when you don't need range to improve accuracy or turned up all the way if you want to really sling the paint out there. An Apex can easily out distance a Flatline if need be, but at those extended ranges a bounce becomes more likely. Lastly, and not too important to me, is that the Apex can do trick shots if you can get the hang of it, but taking time to make adjustments during a game may not be possible. I've never used an Apex or a Flatline myself, but I've seen both used and the Apex using Visible Impact seemed on par with the Flatline that was using marballizers.

I'll vouch for everything Weigel said. He makes very good points that I totally agree with. I've been using the Apex for a year and a half now and I love it. It's versatile and more handy than anything I've seen or used, flatline included. It's pretty easy on paint, the flatline is not. It's distance and curvature is adjustable, the flatline's definitely is not. It looks cool, flatline does not (it's an opinion, I know :D). It's easy to take on and off, heck, it's attached to your barrel. The flatline needs to be installed which is a pain for the 98 version. It's simply innovative! I've always thought it kills the flatline. Go with the Apex if anything.
-Ty

This post has been edited by TyTy: 07 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

#10 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

I had another question that I added in the form of an Edit, but I guess it got removed... The Air-thru stocks... are they nice or no? I'm wondering if should I stick with my remote control (dunno if that's the right name for it, the little cable that goes from you back to your marker), or get an air-thru later on.

#11 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

I wouldn't recommend using a remote line unless you already have some sort of stock. Without anything to press your shoulder against, tank or stock, you aim will be off and the gun will likely start to feel very heavy while your shooting. I say if you like the feel of a stock, then go with the air-thru. If you don't mind the tank where it is, then just stick with that and don't worry about getting a stock. I had a stock on my first gun, a Spyder, it wasn't air-thru, but it got the job done with a remote line screwed into the ASA (where the tank screws in). On my new gun, I have a tank on gun setup and it feels great. It's all really just personal preference.
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#12 User is offline   Sneaky Big Foot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

If money is tight the 98 really isn't that bad stock you should be fine. And some thing I learned if you want to get some sort of upgrade wait a month, yes it is hard but you will wind up getting good solid ups that will really help you. As far as the electric hopper goes that is a very good idea the hopper that I would suggest is the Invert/Empire Reloader 2 it is sound activated (no eyes to scratch or sensor hairs to brake) and is agitated instead of force feed so if you run out of batteries the hopper will work as a gravity hopper. Again the ups i mentioned above are good ones and perform grate on my 98 I highly suggest them.
hybrid player speedball+woodsball its sweet
Cna you raed tihs? piatnblal, sarmt prats, tpipmnan, sohoter ION owner #65

#13 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

The Reloader 2 isn't a bad loader, but since he wants to Egrip the marker it isn't fast enough(they only feed 12bps). If he wants a loader that's possibly fast enough for the Egrip to be worth while then he could try to find a Ricochet Apache since they can feed 17bps consistantly(supposedly 20bps) and if batteries die or the loader faults mid game it can still be used as a shake n shoot gravity hopper. However, since Ricochet just went out of buisness last year their loaders could be hard to find at the cheap price Action Village was selling them at($26.10 shipped). I've got five Ricochet loaders and I really like them (1 AK, 1 Apache LCD, and 3 Apache LEDs).

#14 User is offline   Nelos 

• Master of my domain.
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

View PostWeigel21, on Apr 7 2009, 08:37 PM, said:

The Reloader 2 isn't a bad loader, but since he wants to Egrip the marker it isn't fast enough(they only feed 12bps). If he wants a loader that's possibly fast enough for the Egrip to be worth while then he could try to find a Ricochet Apache since they can feed 17bps consistantly(supposedly 20bps) and if batteries die or the loader faults mid game it can still be used as a shake n shoot gravity hopper. However, since Ricochet just went out of buisness last year their loaders could be hard to find at the cheap price Action Village was selling them at($26.10 shipped). I've got five Ricochet loaders and I really like them (1 AK, 1 Apache LCD, and 3 Apache LEDs).

Now, I chose the Egrip because I read that the response trigger (much like the cyclone feed) was a gas hog, also. Since I intend to play woodsball over speedball, which of the two do you like best?

By the way, I just want to say thanks again to everyone who continues to take the time to answer my questions. :)

#15 User is offline   TyTy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:49 AM

I would go with the E-grip. The response trigger seems like a pain. The E-grip is smoother, easier to fire in most cases, and overall easier to use.
-Ty

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users