Special Ops Paintball: Hammerhead barrel review - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hammerhead barrel review Palmerites be warned: sacreligious testimony involved Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

To my fellow palmerites, my heart grieves to tell you that now when it comes to a choice to choose between my 12" PPS brass A-5 barrel and my hammerhead kit, I will choose the hammerhead. :unsure:

*let the pelting from the nasty phoon squad commence*

I do not say this lightly, as I am still very much a Palmerite. However, test results speak for themselves.

I got the hammerhead kit today in the mail, after having bought a full kit off of ebay for $100. Now, originally I thought that the fins were A-5 threaded, but it turns out that I recieved an autococker kit, but with a barrel adapter. Okay, slight disappointment, but no big deal. So, I go over to a friend's house to shoot a pod-full of paint with this sucker. I use the template to find the best bore.

Paint used: Empire Engage
Fin selected: 0.686" bore

Here's the results (will hopefully have actual ranges for you later, along with strict range test data, accuracy data at different ranges, etc.):

Total barrel breaks: 1
Average grouping at 50' (distance and average grouping were eyeballed): 6"-8"
Average grouping at 100' (also eyeballed): about 12"

It kept its grouping tight even during rapid fire, and I often got balls hitting on top of each other. With the PPS barrel, groupings were nice and tight, and I could really precision shoot, but this barrel takes that to a whole new level.

The only complaint is the break I got. I haven't had a barrel break since I used marbs in the dead of winter in my blazer back in winter of '03. And on Saturday when I used my PPS barrel, I shot at least a hopper of crappy paint and didn't break a single one. Now, with the HH, I broke a ball in it using quality paint. So the PPS barrel has reliability on its side over the HH.

Now, there will be times that I will opt for the pps barrel. Times like when I am using paint that is really tiny, or fairly large that I'd rather want a super reliable barrel that also shoots blasted straight over the super accurate barrel that on occasion breaks balls. Like, winter play....I'd totally opt for the PPS barrel over anything else. But for fresh, high quality paint in non-winter play (I DO play in winter, take note), I will choose the HH.

Barrel specifics: Hammer Head Pro Series 12" barrel, 5 fin kit
Threading: Autococker (a-5 gun to autococker barrel adapter included)

Now, in relation to cleaning. The HH was fairly easy to clean, but the thing is that you really can't shoot through the break. When I had the ball break, my groupings went down to those comprable to the A-5 stock barrel's groupings at the same ranges.

Anyway, barrel rating is 9.5/10, it gets the -0.5 points for not being reliable as my PPS brass barrel in ability to shoot varied sizes and quality of paintballs.

Edit: I WOULD like to state that the groupings I attained today are groupings I have only achieved with one other paintball gun + marker + paint combo, and that was with my PPS blazer with a 12" spiral ported barrel shooting marbalizer, and running on an anti-siphon 20 oz. CO2 bottle. Note that that was a totally palmerized setup.

This post has been edited by Sir Brass: 24 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#2 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

Very impressive.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#3 User is offline   Harry_Krishna 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Harry_Krishna

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:47 AM

FWIW, I got the 14" for my A5, as I liked the looks of their shroud as well. But, seeing as I have a Flatline, it did not give me the range, so was going to return it. It was not a bad barrel, just did not have the range of the FL.

But, I had recently also bought the Smart Parts SP-8 with the 19" Suppressor kit, and that turned out to be a big dissapointment (specially as I like using this gun in the latest Ghost Recon game). Well, while looking at the HH website, I see that they had just made a special fin so it will fit the SP-8 (though for the stock short shroud). So what the heck, I ordered it. Guess what? I will use the A5 W/FL once in awhile, but this SP-8 with the HH is my new marker of choice!!!!!!! It really made a difference. Won't have the range, but is it accurate at the range it gives, and the SP-8 being an ION inside, can really spew the balls out!

#4 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, with the HH vs. flatline or apex, if you go with the HH, you must sacrifice the added range....but you gain extreme accuracy ;).
CPPA Member 1334

#5 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

Just gonna give you a heads up, Monitor is kinda ornery about using the template found Here for Barrel Reviews.

This post has been edited by Maj Tom: 25 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

#6 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

I tried the template with my last barrel, but there was too much data I had to show my perspective that it didn't have except under description and I didn't have all that other data like humidity, windspeed, etc. I gave the results achieved and all the other relevant test data for the testing equipment that I had.

Let him be ornery, I feel like the way I've done this review has given the reviewee the infomation better.

Now, if I do the full scientific range and accuracy testing, then I will post in this thread with that template filled out, and even have fields added onto it.
CPPA Member 1334

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users