• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HP vs LP Tanks and im being super serial Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

ok .... here is a question i have thought about for a long time but was always too lazy or busy to check it out, but it has bugged me for quite some time.

an HP regg'ed bottle is regulated at 800 - 850 psi
an LP regg'ed bottle is regulated at 400 - 450 psi

for the last several years, i have only shot markers that require the LP pressures, but have always bought the HP regg'ed tanks for ease of re-selling ( it is way easier to unload an HP regg'ed bottle than it is an LP regg'ed bottle ). i occasionally will shoot mah tippy's when i get whimsical or wanna be challenged ... but that is few and far between ...

anyway, so here is mah question to all of you pundits of air efficiency on the forum ....

your bottle is gassed up to 4500 psi ... as your pressure starts dropping it eventually gets to the reg threshhold value of 800 - 850 psi and there is not enough pressure in the bottle to force air through the reg, so it fails ... needs a refill ... but leaving 400 - 450 psi unused in the bottle that i could have used had i installed an LP reg instead ....

DOH .... n/m ... i answered my own question .... i am wasting 400 - 450 psi each time i fill my bottle because of the reg i am using on it . ... so now i guess i just have to answer the question of is it worth the resell to have LP regg'ed bottles as opposed to the HP regg'ed bottle ... the LP's sell, you just cant turn em as quickly ...

#2 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

Your logic is sound, glad you worked it out for yourself :D. If you are concerned about resale... buy a tank w/ an adjustable reg.

btw - nice member title, made me laugh.

This post has been edited by ger: 02 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#3 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

HOLD THE PHONE .... i just had another argument with myself ....

self 1 / if the air in the bottle cannot go below the regg'ed pressure, then how does the bottle get to "0" ?
self 2 / idk ... shut up and stop bothering me
self 1 / so the air must still be able escape the reg and go to the marker, but it is just unregated air ... sorta .. it is below 800 - 850psi ? so if my marker is only using 350 - 400psi, it is still getting air to it, but it is unregulated air ... so could it be coming out in bursts of 100psi, or 250 psi ... since it is unregulated, .... or is it still pushing out at the maximum amount available ? could the springs or the mechanics in the reg be causing wild variations of pressure, now that it is no longer controlling the amount of pressure being sent ?

i knew there was some questions i had that i wanted to ask on here ... thems it ...

#4 User is offline   Pyrate Jim 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

When it comes to number of shots, the difference is not as great as you might think.
Boyles' Law states that volume over pressure is equal to pressure over volume.
In other words, one cubic inch at 500 psi is equal to 5 cubic inches at 100 psi.
That is a law of physics, you can't change it.

A lower pressure output needs to use more of the tanks volume to put out the same amount of energy to propell a paintball. So if your reg puts out higher pressure it drains less volume from the tank.

An LP reg can go to a lower tank pressure, but without the volume to back it up it works out nearly the same as a HP reg that leaves air behind.
CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users