Special Ops Paintball: Barrel "Mod" - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Barrel "Mod" How to make a stubnose of a standard.

#1 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ok so here's the deal:

I used to have an EndGame Stubnose barrel, and it was the coolest thing ever! But I lost it a while ago, and I guess Endgame went out of business since then and I can't get a new one. So I searched around on the internet for a while looking for a replacement and couldn't find anything. RAP4 had a 3inch barrel but it about 1 inch of it was a muzzlebreak. By my memory the velocity the velocity on the old endgame barrel was bad enough with no porting or break what-so-ever. So no dice on the RAP4 barrel, I'd probably have to crank the velocity way up to get it to work as well as the old one, and then the flatline would be shooting way too hot.

Anyway there are very few barrels out there under 6" from what I've seen and even if I could find a good one now, I wouldn't want to spend the dough.

So I decided to just chop down my stock a-5 barrel to 3". It wont be exactly the same as the endgame but at least it won't be killing it's own velocity with porting or wasting length on a muzzlebreak.

The question is how should I do it. The first thing I though was just use a pipe cutter. But I was just thinking what if that slightly pinches in the end of the barrel and reduces its diameter enough to cause problems? I'm thinking maybe I'd be better off just taking a hack saw to the thing, but that could wind up being a crooked cut.

So, anyone thoughts?
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

i did a hacksaw job and it kinda worked, it was crooked...you could try it and maybe do it right, i was just doing it on my lap with a dull blade so yeah.

if i had the cash what i would do is cut it to around 2 inches and put it on the end of a 2-3 inch barrel compression kit
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#3 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

Dude! I'm doing the same thing with a model 98. I'm going with the hacksaw method. I plan to use a power sander after the cut to get rid of the burrs. If I get it a bit crooked, I can grind it a bit with the sander.

Oh, and a sawzall with a metal cutting blade might give you a better chance for a straight cut.

A pipe cutter may not work with something as thick as a
barrel. But if it did, getting the burr out of the inside of the barrel is not too difficult. Pipe reamers should be right next to the pipe cutters at the hardware store.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#4 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostDown Range Pain, on 01 May 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

i did a hacksaw job and it kinda worked, it was crooked...you could try it and maybe do it right, i was just doing it on my lap with a dull blade so yeah.

if i had the cash what i would do is cut it to around 2 inches and put it on the end of a 2-3 inch barrel compression kit

Hahaha! Laps and hacksaw blades don't mix very well! What is this "barrel compression kit" I've been hearing about? Does that increase the pressure down the barrel without turning up the velocity somehow? Sounds like definently a good call, but I don't have the moolah either!

View PostI.K.E., on 01 May 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

Dude! I'm doing the same thing with a model 98. I'm going with the hacksaw method. I plan to use a power sander after the cut to get rid of the burrs. If I get it a bit crooked, I can grind it a bit with the sander.

Oh, and a sawzall with a metal cutting blade might give you a better chance for a straight cut.

A pipe cutter may not work with something as thick as a
barrel. But if it did, getting the burr out of the inside of the barrel is not too difficult. Pipe reamers should be right next to the pipe cutters at the hardware store.

That's awesome! How short are you gonna cut it? Yeah make sure you get those burrs out the inside too, that I imagine would break balls every shot! I'm a big fan of just half round files, I keep it simple.

The A-5 barrel is really thin walled compared to the 98, that's why I was more worried about crushing it. But pipe cutters can go through anything, I used to do some pipe fiting in the Navy and cut through some really thick pipe with them, it's really just a question of how long you're going to be there turning that thing! But it's worth it cause it makes a perfectly straight cut. In fact we had some giant assed pipe cutters for like 6" diameter pipes. I don't know if it would work on the 98 either though because the outside diameter tapers...

Anyway I just never used one for something like a barrel before so I'm not sure how it would work out. Unfortunately no sawzall here, that could be a lot of fun, just in general!!!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

As for the compression kit, he may be referring to the techt device. It's basically a 3" insert inside of a housing that screws into your gun, with your barrel then screwing into it. Only problem is, even the cheaper 6pc kit is like $100.....

Of course he may be referring to something completely different, so good luck. Speaking of snubbies...i wish i still had my 1" for my Zeus.......
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#6 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

One inch??? How did that work? And what did it look like? Post pic...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

It was just the stock 1" "Barrel" that came to keep it as a pistol. If you really want to get technical, it's really more of a 6" barrel, but 5" of that are part of the frame itself, therefor unchangeable (without certain tools/body work.).

Posted Image

The Extended barrel (like 8" extension i believe) is laying in front of it, with the 1" on the gun.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Ship, what about scoring the outside of the barrel with the pipe cutter before you hacksaw it? In the least it will give you a straight line to follow.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123

#9 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostPrivate Silver, on 02 May 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

It was just the stock 1" "Barrel" that came to keep it as a pistol. If you really want to get technical, it's really more of a 6" barrel, but 5" of that are part of the frame itself, therefor unchangeable (without certain tools/body work.).

Oh ok, I thought it was gonna be 1" from the actual chamber! I was like, "How could that possibly work?" That's weird never saw something with a long segment of barrel actually built in. Man I was really hoping it was a real 1" barrel from the chamber, I woulda put one on my A5 if it worked on something else...

View PostI.K.E., on 02 May 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

Ship, what about scoring the outside of the barrel with the pipe cutter before you hacksaw it? In the least it will give you a straight line to follow.

Ooooh, good call! Sounds like the way to go!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Caissey 

• Mmm Tasteeos Rock
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tasteeos

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 02 May 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

View PostPrivate Silver, on 02 May 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

Oh ok, I thought it was gonna be 1" from the actual chamber! I was like, "How could that possibly work?" That's weird never saw something with a long segment of barrel actually built in. Man I was really hoping it was a real 1" barrel from the chamber, I woulda put one on my A5 if it worked on something else...

View PostI.K.E., on 02 May 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

Ooooh, good call! Sounds like the way to go!

This information gave me an idea so I can get some use out of my old stock barrels I never use. :)

#11 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

View PostCaissey, on 02 May 2011 - 08:19 PM, said:

This information gave me an idea so I can get some use out of my old stock barrels I never use. :)

Hahaha! Awesome! I was just suggesting on your milsim thread that you get a stubnose...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Caissey 

• Mmm Tasteeos Rock
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tasteeos

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

@Shipwreck!
Yeah I literally JUST read it. :)
Then I just found a few barrels I am going to cut in the morning. I'll see how they come out.

#13 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Awesome!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

I think I'll get mine cut tomorrow night. If all goes according to plan!

#15 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hopefully I'll have mine good to go by the end of the week...

Gotta get a pipe cutter and a new A-5 thread adapter, the original was on the stubnose I lost 'cause I used it like a 1/4 quickchange...

EVERYBODY POST PICS HERE WHEN YOU'RE DONE!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users