• You cannot reply to this topic

X7 Versus SP8 Which to buy? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Caleb95 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Weber95

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

I now still have an A-5 but I am getting tired of upgrading it and having to pay more. I was just wondering if an A-5 or the SP-8 would be better?

#2 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

I would recomend the x7 because smart parts is out of business-ish. Id skip both and go for somethng a little nicer though. the tm15 and tm 7 come to mind.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#3 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

X7, cause yea.. SP is kinda... gone...

you could get a BT marker but there was a recent thing with them and HK that im not too keen on..

Kee action sports really needs to sit back and let business be business rather then have HK stamps/marks on their BT markers...
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#4 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Unless you don't mind getting a used marker, stick with your A5 or get an X7. Since Smart Parts is under Chapter 7 bankruptcy it will be hard to get parts for the SP8 if you need anything. Some fields and pro-shops might have parts, but don't expect a lot of parts.

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

Don't bother with the standard X7. It's the same thing as your A5 with a different outside body.

Also don't touch the SP8 unless you have the means to stock up on parts for it at the same time, as SP is bankrupt and gone from the world of paintball.

If you're looking at a mid-range milsim gun, take a look at one of the following:

X7 Phenom - First full size gun with a new internal design from Tippmann in at least 15 years, maybe more (when did their first blowback actually come out? I can't recall).

BT TM15 (or TM7) - Mini internals inside a milsim shell.
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   JAGERBOMB 

• Ionic Boom
  • PipPip

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

i wouldnt go smart parts seeing as they are going out of business. And tippmann is good but lacks in performance unless you pour a lot of money into them. i'd agree with a tm7. it just depends mostly on if air fills are available in your area. if they are id really consider the tm7 or something similar.
"Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?"

#7 User is offline   Spitfire151 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

I agree with Thalion, I own a Phenom and if you're on the x7 route, the Phenom is the best use of your money.
SpecOps Feedback
SpecOps Products owned: Scout Vest; Two Custom Vests; Collapsable Pod Loader; Allied and Axis Bandanas; Remote Line and Hopper covers.
Reviews: Spec Ops Custom Vest
Mods: Minor Mask Mod

#8 User is offline   Enhander 

• Enhander
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Enhander

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Phemon is your best bet.

#9 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

View PostThumper113, on 11 August 2010 - 02:29 AM, said:

you could get a BT marker but there was a recent thing with them and HK that im not too keen on..

Kee action sports really needs to sit back and let business be business rather then have HK stamps/marks on their BT markers...

Well the issue with HK and KEE was not neccisarily about the product badge/stamp...but the overall shape of the TM7.
See HK owns the rights of the designs they offer...internationally. And not the overall design as in operational theory, but outward apperence as well!

So if you go into your garage and start producing MP5, MP7, CAW...etc knockoffs and selling them to the public HK will knock on your door with lawyers and force you to stop production, pay the licencing fees and/or any back fines and fees they feel you might own them from profit you made with thier idea.
KEE just happens to have the finacial ability to pay the fees and now can bring back a popular line of products to the paintball industry.

In this situation I feel they have the right to do this...HK did design this stuff...they dii bring a highly recognizable item to the marketplace and they did do all the footwork pertainging to the success of these designs...tey in turn deserve to seek out payment for anyone wanting to copy that success. Unlike some paintball companies who steal ownership of of ideas and products just to make a profit....HK is in the right.

Now it remains to be seen if KEE will actually follow through and create a true MP7 badged paintball gun or not...but if they made deal with HK they are going to follow the gist of that deal to the letter.
Personally I feel KEE will stick with the TM7 naming since the paintball market already recognizes that branding and can eaily put a mental image to the name when someone mentions it.

Anyhow...back to the topic at hand.

The SP8 is an ION in a pretty dress. The Ion is a fine platform...but when you need to do internal maintenence on a SP8 you might want to set aside a complete evening! THe pretty dres...that is a complete external plastic body that surrounds the operating system. Taking that body apart kinda sucks! It is not hard, it just double the amount of time needed to clean the internals of the ION operating system.
Then there is the fact that the body is made out of injection moulded plastic and after continuous hard use breaks. SP8 body parts are getting harder and harder to find due to the failures of the plastic parts. I have epoxied a few myself and it is getting to the point of no return for some.

Keeping your A5 is a better option. Moving upto a X7...not much of an upgrade really. There are minor changes, but it still feels and shoots the same as your A5 so it would not be enjoyable for you to spend the money and feel cheated.
A Phenom...well I have been less than impressed by this design. The operational mechanics of the design are aged by current industry standards and the performance is still Tippmann.
And by that I mean it will feel like your A5 feels when you shoot it...just smoother. Again not much bang for your buck.
I have also seen more than a few Phenom problems since the design is still in the early release stages from the factory. Avoid the Phenom for a few more months and allow Tippmann to work out the first generation bugs.

For the money you would invest in a Phenom you are far better off looking at some of the mid priced electros available on the market now. They are just all around a better option in operation, weight, efficiency, and ease of repair when needed. We all have our own personal likes and choices of equipment we reccomend to players. But in the end it comes down to you and what you want from the equipment you use and the amount of money you are willing to spend.

i just went out and bought a new super gun...swore I would never do that again after I did the first time in '01...but here I sit with a most amazing piece of paintball goodness. I am truely happy I did after using it.
Take your time, ask questions and find the right gun for you and in the end you will be ultimatly happy with your choice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users