• You cannot reply to this topic

No chrono, so how to stay safe?

#16 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:26 PM

View PostCapone5, on Aug 7 2007, 03:54 PM, said:

True but say if the person doesnt like the person down range.... and many spyders,piranhas(a good portion of outlaw people are using low end stuff) and low end guns are extremely easy to crank the velocity up no tools are needed all they would have to do is turn the knob a bit and bang the person down range is in pain.....still not a good idea....
If worse comes to worse and you cant make it to walmart to get the 39$ Crono do the old cardboard test.
Take box of paint. empty of course
If your gun shoots through both sides your over 300
and if it goes through one side your under 300 if im not mistaken thats the rule of thumb and is usually accurate. Id go run a quick test with my crono and a box but I must be off to work.

And what prevents people from cranking up their guns once they've already been chrono'd? Absolutely nothing.

As for the cardboard test, doesn't really work. Especailly if the paint has suffered from moisture, exposure to the sun, etc etc, it changes how sensitive it is to breaking. Older paint, sometimes alot easier to break, sometimes its like marbles.

-------

IF you absolutely don't have a chronograph, crank your gun all the way down.Or just throw the paintballs at each other, thats pretty safe to.

-Oct

#17 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:18 AM

as I said:

View Postdruid, on Aug 7 2007, 04:39 PM, said:

Your original thread question: No chrono, so how to stay safe?
The ONLY acceptable answer: Then don't play.

If you cannot play the game safely then don't play...and I don't want to hear any crap about "well...if it doesn't break sheet-rock at ____ feet......" - we did that 20 years ago but it was the ONLY way we had to measure speed.

Today, there's no reason not to have a chrono. Lack of funds is no excuse. You can buy a $70 case of paint+CO2/hpa...you can afford a decent chrono.

Enough said [/thread]

Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#18 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

While I agree a chrono is the best way to play not everyone has one or access to one. If someone is afraid to be shot by their own marker there's a problem, turn it down.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#19 User is offline   CANYOUSEEME? 

• Non-forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Canyouseeme?

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

View Postdruid, on Aug 8 2007, 02:18 AM, said:

View Postdruid, on Aug 7 2007, 04:39 PM, said:

If you cannot play the game safely then don't play...and I don't want to hear any crap about "well...if it doesn't break sheet-rock at ____ feet......" - we did that 20 years ago but it was the ONLY way we had to measure speed.

Today, there's no reason not to have a chrono. Lack of funds is no excuse. You can buy a $70 case of paint+CO2/hpa...you can afford a decent chrono.

Enough said [/thread]

Rock the Snake!
Bill, You made a mistake coming here to the internet paintball community. These people will not be put off, will not accept partial answers and will hold you accountable for everything you say. They are not your typical customer. Even through all the bickering and flaming, the collective consciousness of this community sits at nothing less than the genius level. They are the highest and best of what paintball has to offer. I have trusted and turned to them for years and they have allowed me to walk among them for which I am grateful.
Tom kaye

#20 User is offline   FIREMAN IV 

• Gun Shop
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

get one of thesePosted Image
i got mine for around 80-90 dollars online. this is the basic model and is upgradable. it works with paintbal to real firearms. i got this because of alot of mixed reviews on the yellow handheld chrono's I have had no problems and mine has had paint all over it and it still works fine and cleans up easy too.
learn more here
KEEP MORE OF THAT PAYCHECK-FAIRTAX-

"We @ Metadyne Think you have the coolest wife ever" Post-it note on Havac

#21 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Fireman...I have that exact one and it's awesome. LancerX can vouch for it's accuracy as that's the one we use at the renegade field.

Only one chrono is ever needed. Take care of it and it will last a lifetime. 10 buddies splitting the cost is less than $10 per piece. If you play at someone's property, leave it there in a waterproof box. Pelican makes excellent boxes...Google that name for one.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#22 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

View PostCapone5, on Aug 7 2007, 12:40 PM, said:

View PostPuzuma, on Aug 7 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

Easiest way to do it with out a chrono is the "self hit test". How it works: You arrive at the field with your pals, each fires there marker from the same spot at the same target. Next step is to take person A's marker, put him at the target and shoot him with his own gun. Three shots. If he/you think it hurts, turn it down. Do this a few times throughout the day. It's not a guarantee to stop people from shooting hot, but it's a good deterrent.

Why does that sound unsafe and possibly dangerous and none the less stupid.
You can get cronos for as low as 39$ these days(you get what you pay for but its still safer than nothing)
Id say thats better than some one with three bleeding welts.....

I would be inclined to agree, except that like Puz, I too am old enough to remember the days before chronos. I had been playing for at least a year or two before I ever actually saw one. Needless to say, I thought they were a GREAT idea.
But there was a time when going down to the paintball shop & buying one at ANY price just wasnt an option...so the Self Hit Test was born.
The bunch that I played with had a particularly casual attitude about it. Once you got geard up & on the field, you just handed your gun to whoever was closest to you at the time, said "check me" & took a few steps back...then you swapped guns with the other guy & shot him too. Carry on...
or you jumped back shouting obscenities & took your gun back to the car to switch springs (velocity adjusters hadnt been invented yet either).

Nowdays though, there really isnt an excuse not to have one if play alot of outlaw. If you're young enough, hit up the parents for help. (the trick is to phrase it right. Emphasise the safety aspect, suggest that playing without a chrono is like playing hockey/football without a helmet, etc.)
Just get one...
...in the meantime, at least Self Hit Testing will keep people from getting mad.

#23 User is offline   Badmintoner 

• Peace!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

View Postdruid, on Aug 7 2007, 03:39 PM, said:

Enough said [/thread]

I agree.

Also, Puzuma's test seems to be pretty reasonable. Assuming your friends aren't complete idiots, they wouldn't crank up the velocity while shooting. Then, they would want to keep their own marker lower so it didn't hurt them very much when they got shot.

At any rate, buying a chrono is the best thing to do.

This post has been edited by Badmintoner: 09 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

#24 User is offline   Huff n Puff 

• Elite Sabre
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HUFF N PUFF

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

I did play stupidball (unchronoed paintball) for a while. What we did was an honor system we turned them down until they didn't hurt and once in a while we'd go to a place where there was a chrono and we'd get our markers good (around 280) and we wouldn't touch them. This system sucks if you have people you can't trust to not mess with their markers.

Since I got a chrono paintballing has been way better so I say get the money to buy one. Cut down on the amount of paint you use and make that money go towards a chrono. Do anything you can to get a chrono.
Elite Team 6 Rocks
Fire? Yes Please

#25 Guest_LONGBOW_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

Do you have a local field? You can chrono there and you probably won't have to pay just chrono and go play in your backyard or wherever.

#26 User is offline   Mayonnaise 

• Not sure what I am!
  • PipPip

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

We don't have a field within 50 miles. None. A chrono isn't that expensive though, and I'm buying one.
Christian paintballer for life!

I'm a gun totin' scripture quotin' truck lovin' war shovin' meat eatin' liberal beatin' CONSERVATIVE!-THE MENACE
Proud anti-rapper and Christian rock/metal lover! I'm sticking with the 2% here!
98% of people have 98% and 2% in their signature. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your sig.
If your parents do not buy you your gear, put this in your sig.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users