Special Ops Paintball: Shooting Hot Magazine for October, 2010 - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shooting Hot Magazine for October, 2010 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

Again, Dale and the staff at Shooting Hot have produced an excellent issue. I do have a piece in their on page 50 and I hope everyone will enjoy it

http://www.shootingh...0/pageflip.html

Let me know your opinions on it.

This post has been edited by BIGBOSS_202: 01 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on 02 October 2010 - 01:28 AM, said:

Again, Dale and the staff at Shooting Hot have produced an excellent issue. I do have a piece in their on page 50 and I hope everyone will enjoy it

http://www.shootingh...0/pageflip.html

Let me know your opinions on it.

Is the premise that women should be "allowed" to play? Or that they are on par with men performance-wise? Or that the guy who wouldn't let the woman on his team is an arse?

#1 is a no brainer, I think women are ENCOURAGED to play paintball. Guys I've talked to are sick of the sausage-fest that paintball is.
#3- Well, I guess. But it doesn't surprise me...especially if this is a team that is really serious. I've seen ultra-serious scenario team players that take themselves way too seriously...so it wouldn't shock me.

#2- Tougher question. I wanna say they could be on par, because there's no physiological reason why they couldn't be. But at the same time, I've never seen it...not even close.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#3 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

View Postaslanprime, on 03 October 2010 - 02:50 PM, said:

#2- Tougher question. I wanna say they could be on par, because there's no physiological reason why they couldn't be. But at the same time, I've never seen it...not even close.

Really? I've seen tons of girls playing over here, and they're pretty deadly too. I'm pretty sure one MXL team (2nd highest level in the CXBL) had 2 girls on it, and I'm pretty sure atleast one of them guested up for atleast 1 event to CXBL (Pretty much the top level of competition found in Canada. A lot of teams have retired/semi-retired pros playing for them, and a bunch of CXBL players won D2 at cup last year, and could definitely hold their own in D1.)

As for my honest opinions on the magazine/article...

The magazine looks like it was designed by a colourblind 3 year old.
The cover is way too busy, reminds me of a women's magazine.
http://www.face-full...ary10/elite.htm <--- That is how a magazine layout should be designed, unlike shooting hot, it doesn't look like it was designed by a kid straight out of highschool who took 1 media arts class, and barely passed. The cover is nice and clean, and everything inside looks like it actually belongs together.
When did this ever become "Paintballs Number 1 Magazine", this is the first I've heard about Shooting Hot.
Wayyyyy too many ads... But I guess that its no worse then most magazines out there
Page 44... Don't mind the view, but I think it'd be a lot better if the girls were actual ballers.
The article was honestly a stupid topic. The question "Should Women Play?" is as stupid a question as "Should Black People Be Able To Sit At The Front of the Bus?". Why women shouldn't play would be a much more interesting article, but probably much much harder to write, you'd have a hard time finding reasons that aren't just ignorant bull lol.
Ignoring the title, the majority of the quotes used were way too long. No point writing an article if all that you're really doing is quoting other people.
Finally, the article looks like it was a semi-decent forum post... Thats about it. It seems like its written by someone who has a very, VERY basic understanding of writing articles/anything for a magazine, newspaper, etc.
They also need to use much higher resolution pictures in their online version (I have no idea about the print version if there is one. I'm not going to waste my time seeing if such a poorly made magazine has a print version too, I can only hope that the picture quality is a little better.)
It looks like they just googled paintball and stole a bunch of pictures from people, not even particularily good ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the rights to the majority of those photos.
Go to page 10... Try to restrain yourself from tracking down and murdering the creators of this magazine. I know its hard but you can do it. No music should EVER force itself down anyones throat like that. Any website that plays music automatically is a crappy design. Like most people, I have my own music that i like to enjoy. When reading something, I don't want to be bombarded with this crap.

It seems the longer that I look at this magazine the less I like it. I'm just going to stop now before this list gets more out of control. I'm sure theres tons of other problems with it but I've already spent enough of my time looking at a crappy magazine.

I hope you don't take this as me flaming you, you wanted opinions so here they are. To me the entire magazine looks VERY unprofessional, like it was thrown together in a night or two. I'm not being cocky here, I'm not really that good with layouts and things like that, but I almost guarantee that I could design a more professional looking magazine. If they want to be taken seriously, they REALLY need to step their game up. Find some proper photographers, use proper resolution that don't look like a 150x150 jpeg that some kid blew up to 2000000x2000000.

This post has been edited by d4rkmonkey: 03 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

I don't know who to slap first, you or the editor. Ignoring the several times were "women" and "woman" are used in the wrong place these gems stand out nicely:

1- "Press on a cock can even child."

2- "To some women it is more difficult on the field, not physically, and psychologically because them consider more poorly"

3- "I have looked around and have found a general contentious is that women do have a place...."

1- What the hell does that mean?
2- See number one.
3- Contentious? I think you mean consensus.

Add in that there's nothing easily discernible as being a female perspective.

The opening paragraph give no information, nor do you elaborate on anything, other than a female player was told "no" by "the new boos of her team" . No about what? Stating it as "her team" does that mean she the team captain and the "boss" is a team owner or manager?

Not everyone is going to go and watch the video.

After reading it, I don't think it even qualifies as a personal opinion piece or even space filler.

It's bad.

You state that you "decided to check into the history of Women in paintball" and that it can be traced back to the 80s, but you don't share anything that you learned.

If it were up to me I wouldn't have allowed that article to be published.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

Wow - even the title of the article screams "sexism." And editors are your friend - as posted above, the errors in spelling and grammar were pretty bad (not just in this article, but there are plenty of examples throughout the publication).

(and in the publication tagline - paintballs should have a apostrophe)

I'm not goin to pile-on, but I'm personally offended by even the question being asked (should women play).

#6 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

View Postd4rkmonkey, on 03 October 2010 - 05:31 PM, said:

View Postaslanprime, on 03 October 2010 - 02:50 PM, said:

Really? I've seen tons of girls playing over here, and they're pretty deadly too. I'm pretty sure one MXL team (2nd highest level in the CXBL) had 2 girls on it, and I'm pretty sure atleast one of them guested up for atleast 1 event to CXBL (Pretty much the top level of competition found in Canada. A lot of teams have retired/semi-retired pros playing for them, and a bunch of CXBL players won D2 at cup last year, and could definitely hold their own in D1.)

As for my honest opinions on the magazine/article...

The magazine looks like it was designed by a colourblind 3 year old.
The cover is way too busy, reminds me of a women's magazine.
http://www.face-full...ary10/elite.htm <--- That is how a magazine layout should be designed, unlike shooting hot, it doesn't look like it was designed by a kid straight out of highschool who took 1 media arts class, and barely passed. The cover is nice and clean, and everything inside looks like it actually belongs together.
When did this ever become "Paintballs Number 1 Magazine", this is the first I've heard about Shooting Hot.
Wayyyyy too many ads... But I guess that its no worse then most magazines out there
Page 44... Don't mind the view, but I think it'd be a lot better if the girls were actual ballers.
The article was honestly a stupid topic. The question "Should Women Play?" is as stupid a question as "Should Black People Be Able To Sit At The Front of the Bus?". Why women shouldn't play would be a much more interesting article, but probably much much harder to write, you'd have a hard time finding reasons that aren't just ignorant bull lol.
Ignoring the title, the majority of the quotes used were way too long. No point writing an article if all that you're really doing is quoting other people.
Finally, the article looks like it was a semi-decent forum post... Thats about it. It seems like its written by someone who has a very, VERY basic understanding of writing articles/anything for a magazine, newspaper, etc.
They also need to use much higher resolution pictures in their online version (I have no idea about the print version if there is one. I'm not going to waste my time seeing if such a poorly made magazine has a print version too, I can only hope that the picture quality is a little better.)
It looks like they just googled paintball and stole a bunch of pictures from people, not even particularily good ones. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the rights to the majority of those photos.
Go to page 10... Try to restrain yourself from tracking down and murdering the creators of this magazine. I know its hard but you can do it. No music should EVER force itself down anyones throat like that. Any website that plays music automatically is a crappy design. Like most people, I have my own music that i like to enjoy. When reading something, I don't want to be bombarded with this crap.

It seems the longer that I look at this magazine the less I like it. I'm just going to stop now before this list gets more out of control. I'm sure theres tons of other problems with it but I've already spent enough of my time looking at a crappy magazine.

I hope you don't take this as me flaming you, you wanted opinions so here they are. To me the entire magazine looks VERY unprofessional, like it was thrown together in a night or two. I'm not being cocky here, I'm not really that good with layouts and things like that, but I almost guarantee that I could design a more professional looking magazine. If they want to be taken seriously, they REALLY need to step their game up. Find some proper photographers, use proper resolution that don't look like a 150x150 jpeg that some kid blew up to 2000000x2000000.

I can imaging that their are more then a few errors in not just my work but in everything. Even the best magazines have their issues and mistakes here and there. I am improving on future works and basically getting back into writing. I'm not the best at it, I do strive to make a good impact with my work.

#7 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostLoneWolf99, on 03 October 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

Wow - even the title of the article screams "sexism." And editors are your friend - as posted above, the errors in spelling and grammar were pretty bad (not just in this article, but there are plenty of examples throughout the publication).

(and in the publication tagline - paintballs should have a apostrophe)

I'm not goin to pile-on, but I'm personally offended by even the question being asked (should women play).

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my article. I will say that I was following up a story from pblive and the subject matter of the June 30th episode. This article wasn't meant to offend but to enlighten other to the minority of dimwitted social obstructionists that hold on to a sexist view. I was not trying to be sexist in any way or form when I did this article. I will admit that I'm not the best writer or that good on details like grammar but I will say that as a writer that I was trying to convey something that was happening in the community of paintball players.

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

I know you're proud about being published ... And I'm happy that you want to share this with us. However the subject itself is an ancient issue and the industry has moved on. To revive it is nothing more than to stir the pot and cause the readers to totally dissect the magazine looking for any value at all.

#9 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

I certainly didn't mean for my comments to be taken personally (so please don't). I just get very offended when someone even brings up the question - should girls play? Since it seems to assume, at least in passing, that there is something wrong with it.

Otherwise, the magazine needs a lot of work - but it really isn't too much different from the other magazines out there on the market today (they all need work to be relevant to the current playing population).

#10 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

View Postslinkyaroo, on 04 October 2010 - 09:42 AM, said:

I know you're proud about being published ... And I'm happy that you want to share this with us. However the subject itself is an ancient issue and the industry has moved on. To revive it is nothing more than to stir the pot and cause the readers to totally dissect the magazine looking for any value at all.

Sorry if things got a bit heated. I know the magazine needs a bit of fine tuning and I was just trying to update what happened on that particular incident to shed some more light on it.

#11 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

I'm not quite sure what to say about shooting hot magazine or your article. For starters overall in their design it leaves a lot to be desired, it was cluttered, and there was actually a decent bit of non-paintball content. Then of course this is the part of it that I personally as a female player wasn't fond of, and that was all of the scantily clad women. Yeah I can understand it if guys like seeing that, but that seemed to be what you guys decided was the only way to draw a guy in...I'd hope that if a guy really loves paintball, he won't need an almost naked women on the front page to get him to read it. (not quite as true with this issue, she was wearing some clothes, but looking back at previous issues)

The article itself, well, I understand that you have a passion for the sport and would love to write about it. However, not everyone is gifted to be a writer, just as not everyone is gifted to be a singer, or artist. Not to say that you can't write an article about paintball, but I would say a magazine should strive to have excellent authors, not just one's with a heart. Also, they need to have someone that reviews the articles simply for grammar, you lost me on several occasions with unfinished thoughts or terrible grammar. In regards to the articles contents, well, I didn't think it was a necessary article, nor did I see it as bringing particularly strong evidence for or against female players. Females can if they try play paintball, and in some cases just as well as the guys, unfortunatly some guys opinions have been tainted by the girls that show up just to flirt with teh guys, or the ones that well they might try don't have the skill. But it's just like the guys in the sport, some of them are incredible players, others no matter how hard they try, they aren't ever going to go pro, they just aren't geared for that. So because my train of thought doesn't seem to be making sense to me... basically, there will be girls that can play, those that can't, guys that hate girl players and those that really respect us, it's not really a topic taht needs to be rehashed time and time again...and if we are going to discuss it, well a mediocre article in a magazine isn't the way to go.

I'm not trying to diss your work, I respect you trying, just make sure that next time you spend time checking your grammar, and try to make your articles more relevant..and maybe avoid topics that refer to sexism..

This post has been edited by IrishMack: 04 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#12 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

View PostIrishMack, on 04 October 2010 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'm not quite sure what to say about shooting hot magazine or your article. For starters overall in their design it leaves a lot to be desired, it was cluttered, and there was actually a decent bit of non-paintball content. Then of course this is the part of it that I personally as a female player wasn't fond of, and that was all of the scantily clad women. Yeah I can understand it if guys like seeing that, but that seemed to be what you guys decided was the only way to draw a guy in...I'd hope that if a guy really loves paintball, he won't need an almost naked women on the front page to get him to read it. (not quite as true with this issue, she was wearing some clothes, but looking back at previous issues)

The article itself, well, I understand that you have a passion for the sport and would love to write about it. However, not everyone is gifted to be a writer, just as not everyone is gifted to be a singer, or artist. Not to say that you can't write an article about paintball, but I would say a magazine should strive to have excellent authors, not just one's with a heart. Also, they need to have someone that reviews the articles simply for grammar, you lost me on several occasions with unfinished thoughts or terrible grammar. In regards to the articles contents, well, I didn't think it was a necessary article, nor did I see it as bringing particularly strong evidence for or against female players. Females can if they try play paintball, and in some cases just as well as the guys, unfortunatly some guys opinions have been tainted by the girls that show up just to flirt with teh guys, or the ones that well they might try don't have the skill. But it's just like the guys in the sport, some of them are incredible players, others no matter how hard they try, they aren't ever going to go pro, they just aren't geared for that. So because my train of thought doesn't seem to be making sense to me... basically, there will be girls that can play, those that can't, guys that hate girl players and those that really respect us, it's not really a topic taht needs to be rehashed time and time again...and if we are going to discuss it, well a mediocre article in a magazine isn't the way to go.

I'm not trying to diss your work, I respect you trying, just make sure that next time you spend time checking your grammar, and try to make your articles more relevant..and maybe avoid topics that refer to sexism..

I think I said earlier that I'm getting back into it and I'm still more or less trying to sharpen the skills I once had. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a good prowess for writing. It will take some time and I know I can do it with some time and practice.

#13 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on 04 October 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

I think I said earlier that I'm getting back into it and I'm still more or less trying to sharpen the skills I once had. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a good prowess for writing. It will take some time and I know I can do it with some time and practice.

Just some constructive criticism here, nothing personal, since I don't even know you.

I have read a lot of the things you've written on here in addition to that "article", and almost every time, I've ended up cringing due to some part that comes off like it was written by either a 3rd-grader or someone who writes those emails from Nigeria asking for my bank account number.

If you're serious about building the skills that are required to write well and subsequently get published by professional organizations, you need to invest some serious time and effort (and a little bit of money) into educating yourself. It's great that you practice, but practice without direction is inefficient at best. Go shopping.

Start with this: Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style"
Then read this: William Zinsser's "On Writing Well"

~$20 well spent.

Also, get a subscription to something like Time or The Economist. You need to regularly read articles that are polished and have been approved by editors who really know what kind of style and content will hold a reader's attention. I've found that most paintball magazines have incredibly low standards for the content they publish.

This post has been edited by chinstrap: 08 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

View Postchinstrap, on 08 October 2010 - 11:00 AM, said:

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on 04 October 2010 - 05:28 PM, said:

Just some constructive criticism here, nothing personal, since I don't even know you.

I have read a lot of the things you've written on here in addition to that "article", and almost every time, I've ended up cringing due to some part that comes off like it was written by either a 3rd-grader or someone who writes those emails from Nigeria asking for my bank account number.

If you're serious about building the skills that are required to write well and subsequently get published by professional organizations, you need to invest some serious time and effort (and a little bit of money) into educating yourself. It's great that you practice, but practice without direction is inefficient at best. Go shopping.

Start with this: Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style"
Then read this: William Zinsser's "On Writing Well"

~$20 well spent.

Also, get a subscription to something like Time or The Economist. You need to regularly read articles that are polished and have been approved by editors who really know what kind of style and content will hold a reader's attention. I've found that most paintball magazines have incredibly low standards for the content they publish.

I never knew that part. I do from time to time read Readers Digest and TIME, and those gossip magazines like OK and Star that are bottom feeding paparazzi magazine. Though as far as the article goes, I didn't feel right about just leaving the story were it was from pblive. It was kinda like reading a book half way through and just stopping. Besides, People like to have happy endings at times and this story worked out like that. I will say that future works will be getting better though.

#15 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

What I also forgot to mention is that a couple of the female players I talked to about this issue were not in the United States. One is in the Ukraine and the other two were in South America. I had to use the google translator to speak with then and unfortunately some things may have been lost in translation.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users