Special Ops Paintball: Vents Helix Mask with Thermal Lens - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vents Helix Mask with Thermal Lens

#1 User is offline   arclight642 

• Safety is all of our concern.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:arclight642

Posted 14 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

Greets!

I just completed my first day of paintball with my newly purchased mask and figured I would post what I thought about it!

Vents Helix Mask with Thermal Lens (black)

Bought for $40 retail.

Does not come with a protective bag:(

---------

Comfort: This mask is pretty darn comfortable to wear, but it does tend to nip plastic into my ears just a bit. Only really noticed this in the staging area and not during the game. Straps looked like they wouldnt adjust much, but you can really get a tight fit if you play with them. Foam was deep and comfortable.

Visibility: Good 260 degree field of view, with a crystal clear lens. Nose area is a bit higher than I like but it didnt detract from visibility. Lens is very tall offering good up/down visibility as well as some ability to work around paint spray.

Anti Fog: After 7 hours of play in very humid 85 degree weather, this mask did not fog once. From easy play in the bunkers to heavy-breathing, low crawling, heavy foliage so your breath doesnt go anywhere but on your lens, this mask never let me down.

Cleaning: Cleaned up very easily on the field with little smearing residue. Lens removal was easy, with the instructions clear and well illustrated--needed to read that once and thats it. Actual mask and vents/holes are all easily accessible and easily washed even on the field.

Ball breakage: I only took a shot direct on the lens today so I cannot comment much on this. Plastic of the mask is rigid enough that a direct hit will probably break, but the visor at the top is much more supple, lending itself to glancing balls off instead of breaking.

Voice: While I didnt exactly take notes as the balls were flying, everyone heard both my yelled comments and my softly spoken/close range comments.

-----------

Overall I am exceptionally pleased with this mask! For $40 I got everything I wanted out of a new mask---good field of view and excellent anti fog. For me, I see no need to try out the higher end Vents masks, this one does what I want, and at an affordable price!

arclight642
IPB Image

How many balls per second are you going to miss me with? --unknown baller

Do your duty, no matter what may come. --Jacques DeMolay

#2 User is offline   jakethesnake741 

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mr_incredible

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

Did you have mad condensation on the mouth part after a couple hours of play? My E-vents were soaked on that section...but somehow the lense was perfectly clear. Just wanting to hear your feelings on the ventalation around your mouth...so far personally the best I've found are Dye Invisions...Beyond that question nice review tho.
Bad spellers of the world untie!!!

#3 User is offline   arclight642 

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:48 PM

View Postjakethesnake741, on May 15 2006, 05:37 PM, said:

Did you have mad condensation on the mouth part after a couple hours of play? My E-vents were soaked on that section...but somehow the lense was perfectly clear. Just wanting to hear your feelings on the ventalation around your mouth...so far personally the best I've found are Dye Invisions...Beyond that question nice review tho.

Nope, didnt have any experiences like that--dry and well ventilated and I tend to breathe pretty heavily when I slog my butt around the field in low crawls with the full camo and Flurry vest. Looks like I got lucky!

arclight642
IPB Image

#4 User is offline   arclight642 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2006 - 06:11 PM

On the matter of condensation........

Today I experienced the condensation problem the first respondant mentioned. High 80's with high humidity---a few of our guys had borderline heat exhaustion in the larger games. (*Hydrate people, HYDRATE!*)

During two of these games, the sweat from my head and face soaked through my head wrap and the foam in interior of the mask and was literally running down my upper lip down my chin and into my mouth.

This mask is well designed--the foam padding around the eyes is cut away at the sides, which I imagine helped direct the sweat away from the lens and down my face as opposed to allowing it into my eyes and onto my lens.

So I have to adjust my previous remarks to say that this mask, in extreme temps/humidity, does become mildly uncomfortable from a condensation/sweat perspective. Nothing that really affects the game when the action is on, but definitely a distraction when you are hunkered behind a tree or in a bunker.

arclight642

This post has been edited by arclight642: 21 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

IPB Image

#5 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

very good review , anyway i bought the same goggles i love them
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#6 User is offline   arclight642 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thanks man:)

Its hard to believe its almost been a year since I bought this mask! Its been beaten, battered, bruised, and scarred and its still giving me great service through some of the worst terrain Florida and Montana has to offer!

arc
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   Roman 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Roman

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

Do some of you know if there are replacement lenses available for the helix? I've found some, but they don't say helix specifically in the description and I don't know if all Empire masks are the same.

Here's a link to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.zephyrpai...-EMPR-LENSAMBER

#8 User is offline   arclight642 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

Yes, there are replacement lenses available. I typically get mine off of eBay. I know the Helix, Avatar, and the base end mask (Cyrus? Cylix?) share lenses. The seller I am getting my next lense from currently also claims it fits the E-Vents, which I surmise is a different line?

arc
IPB Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users