Special Ops Paintball: An important update to field rules/ safety checks - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An important update to field rules/ safety checks Masks should be inspected by refs prior to games

#1 User is offline   Major chip Hazard 

• Secretly a Spartan Jedi secret agent
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:diseased rat

Post icon  Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

I propose a new safety check at all fields. The refs should inspect all player's masks before their first game of the day. This would be a simple check for correct fit and a screening for damaged lenses. When the player passes the test, the mask should be given a small sticker on the back or on top of the visor, so the player can prove that the mask passed.

This would be time consuming, but I feel it is needed. I have seen problems with masks occur too many times. I have seen: masks knocked off by headshots due to loose fits, masks breaking due to old cracks, straps ripping due to brush, broken plastic from masks cutting faces and many other problems. This is important to keep players returning to play again. People won't play if they see this happen to someone else on their first day.

The test would be conducted with a check list.

It would work as follows.

Proper fit Check/ fail

No large tears in straps check/fail

No cracks in lens check/fail

No cracked plastic on any part of mask check/fail

If the mask passes all points, the player is given a sticker to put anywhere on the mask. Something small and green. This way the refs know who did and did not get tested.
This is a signiture. There is nothing special about this signature. Why are you reading it? Its not funny. Just a signature.

Bring out y'ur dead!!!!!

Recruiting for team Face Painters. PM for details

#2 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

I don't know. Most of the refs at my field are too lazy. I mean, they don't even make you chrono your marker. I always do, but who knows what other people are shooting at.

Some fields, it could work. But at Big Games and such, probably not.

#3 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

It seems like it to time consuming.
out best bet to make sure people leave with proper fitting masks. The stores where they buy them.

#4 Guest_Gauss_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

The players should be able to take care of themselves.

#5 User is offline   Anti Hero 

• Pain makes me laugh, seriously.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:λNTI-HERO

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

View PostGauss, on Aug 13 2009, 07:34 AM, said:

The players should be able to take care of themselves.

Agreed, but they don't. I always check my mask, marker and tank. I even do the liberty of checking new players gear, especially rentals.

#6 User is offline   Super Saber 

• May the Schwartz be with you!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Tater

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

I think its a good idea, but I know the refs at are also too lazy it took them 3 years to start in forcing the berrel cover rule, they still dont yell at people for lifting their masks so to get them to check to see if they are safe, no. SAFETY starts at home, there for I say we as paintballers should check your own gear before we play. I replase my lense every 6 months, and some companys say you sould change the lense after every hit to the lens. We should also take care of our gear clean it after use fix needs what needs fixing. My Safety is my responablty, and I dont want to up it in the hands of some 16 year under payed ref.

#7 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

gotta be honest. just sounds like more paperwork where it's not needed.

Let me put it to you like this. working as a field manager, with 3 refs and my 2 registration girls (who were often late) I had to get a five man Xball field set up, I had to get the airfill stations ready to go, and I had to get paint and rentals offloaded and setup. that's with less than an hour to do all of it. it takes two bodies 45 minutes or so to set up the xball field, and two bodies upwards of the same amount of time to get rentals offloaded and squared away.

We had enough time, during the breif, to chrono everyone in, and that was about it. We looked after our masks at our store- no time and few replacement parts at the field- but we didn't have the time to look after Personally owned stuff our players brought in. Besides that, it'd have added one more item to an already fairly heavy workload (three refs was ideal- more often, it was just myself and one ref) that would have just made it that much harder to manage.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#8 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

i make the group i go with do mask checks. i help fit em and what not. they help fit me. i check the lense. they check mine. takes five minutes max. for the part where i get checked, im doin other stuff.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#9 User is offline   kage83 

• KaGe
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kage83

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

i still don't honestly understand why people DON'T check their stuff...i mean everyone has been shot at some point in time...except maybe Puz...and everyone knows how it feels. so why would someone want to feel THAT anywhere that a mask covers? it seems silly.

i keep an eye out for my teammates and opponents...but i'm not going to hold their hand and make sure their equipment is up to snuff.
If you are a Christian paintballer, put this in your sig

#10 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Everyone should be responsible for their own masks. The only mask related issue that refs should have to deal with is making sure players have them on.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#11 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:49 AM

When I was reffing regular groups, I always insisted that the renters use the chin straps that come with the masks. A lot of times, the band would be worn out from hundreds of people using the mask through out the year, so with the chin strap in use it at least minimizes the risk of the mask coming off
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#12 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

IMO. Half the fields have a problem looking after their own rental masks. Dirty, scratched, unsafe and bacteria filled.

#13 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Sep 11 2009, 07:46 AM, said:

IMO. Half the fields have a problem looking after their own rental masks. Dirty, scratched, unsafe and bacteria filled.

Agreed, I bought a mask before I bought a marker. I went to a field, and after I saw the rental masks I walked into the proshop, and bought one.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#14 User is offline   Bushi Scout 

• Tro...
  • Pip

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Rental Masks are disgusting, also thats more time for all the pre-game stuff, less time to play.
Nothing ever goes according to plan...

#15 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

I'm a huge advocate of personal responsibility and for players assisting other players.

I am NOT an advocate of adding more responsibility on fields that are already typically under-staffed and by people that are often under-trained.

Just to be clear...I agree completely with your checklist...but players should be taking care of checking those things themselves.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users