Special Ops Paintball: Sight/Scope Preferences, wich type/model you prefer and why?? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sight/Scope Preferences, wich type/model you prefer and why?? General discussion about the use and preference of optics in woodsball Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Op4 Delta 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

Some people say there are no snipers in paintball, some say there are only marksmen and stalkers, but those statements have never stopped players from pimping their markers with all types of scopes, sights and lasers. So accepting the fact that optics in paintball are here to stay lets start a discussion on wich one you prefer and why, mentioning the pros and cons of each type of optical device. PICTURES ARE WELCOME.

I will set the example and begin:

My personal setup is an NcStar 1x42mm red dot sight with picatinny mount, I use it over a home made sight raiser cutted from a square 1" aluminum tube, to wich I added a 4" picatinny H&K handguard rail on top.

The pros: Red dot sights can be used with both eyes open allowing quick target adquisition. Since there is no magnification you can avoid tunnel vision.
The cons: None for my style of play, but I bet you can find many... :dry:

As a note players who use magnification scopes can mount them to picatinny see-tru sight raisers and use the scope for spotting and directing their team mates while the see-tru raiser allows them to engage close range targets using the markers iron sights or laser if they have one installed.... Is this what you do????

Please comment and remember that no setup is better than the other, is just personal preference and the possition you play in your team.

#2 User is offline   sgt.crazy shooter 

• 2nd coat
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. elf

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

me more of a small red dot but i dont have a scope or sight or laser on mine

#3 User is offline   Chaos 

• RagTag Renegade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chaos

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

Mark A1 Eyeball

Good enough for God to give me. Good enough for me to play paintball with.

If you need a scope to hit a target in paintball, then you're not close enought to hit it.

#4 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

On my Tippmann, I prefer to loose all the heavy I can get away with. Red Dot stopped getting dragged around awhile ago. Got a couple good kills with it, but I don't doubt I could have gotten them with instinct or aiming down the chasis.

I took the sights off who knows how long ago. That stupid piece was such a pain during takedown.

This post has been edited by Slivers: 27 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#5 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

I've never found a use for a scope or red dot. I'm accurate enough to make me happy, and a scope or red dot is useless when I'm snap shooting.

#6 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

I use both a red dot, and a 2.5 power shotgun scope. Why a shotgun scope? low power/zoom so i can zero it to the effective range of my longbow(about 80 feet) I use a 30mm red dot, made by Barska, and the shotgun scope is made by BSA. What about tunnel vision? I dont get tunnel vision, because i'm always looking around. The scope is also useful for looking farther ahead. Sure, I could get by with a red dot, or just by looking down the barrel, but I enjoy using the scope.
EDIT: was just reading what Piller Said(below me) I'm very familiar with my gear, and I can hit things fine without the scope, but I just like using it.

This post has been edited by -SMITTY-: 27 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

#7 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

I going to have to go with E. None of the Above.

I never liked having anything more than a simple bead sight. At MOST a paintball is effective up to 150 feet. Usually anything interesting takes place around 50-100 feet. Paintball is a close range sport and to me most sights are overkill for the potential of a paintball. Even if a paintball is accurate for a long distance it rarely breaks on its target beyond 100 feet.

At that range, once you're familiar with your gear it's pretty easy to be accurate with a clean sight down the barrel or a simple pin+leaf sight. It's free, no batteries, and gets better the more you use it.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#8 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

Same, I do not use a sight, and when I had a tippmann, I didn't even use a sight. Now, I cannot use one because center feed doesn't allow a sight.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#9 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

Most of my markers don't have anything and thatís just fine. However, two of my markers do have a sight/scope. My BT has a BSA red/green dot sight that's 35mm, I think, and my Trilogy Tactical has a 3-9x long eye relief scope. They are both more or less for show as I find I seldom use either when I use the Marker, but when I do happen to take the time to use them they it really doesnít make much difference. The only time the scope really helps is when Iím using it for scouting, which isnít very often.

#10 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

My preference is a red dot. I have one but don't use it very much. In an intense firefight I am not going to take the time to line up a shot before pulling the trigger. The reason I have one is because I tend to play more in the woods. When I am in the woods it is not uncommon to come across someone who, for whatever reason, has not seen me yet. I fully realize that paintballs are not what anyone would call accurate but, at the same time, with my Adco Hotshot I can place a shot at normal distance within a couple of inches of where I am aiming. Seeing as how I do not often play with Lindsey Lohan or anyone else whose body is less than a few inches wide, I can count on my red dot to give me a fairly accurate guideline.

Do I use my red dot every game? Absolutely not! But when I have the element of surprise you had better believe that I will use it to the fullest advantage possible.

If you are one of those people who can fire a shot from the hip and hit a fly from 200 ft. then this article doesn't apply to you. For those normal people who would like to make the most of what advantage luck may throw to them, I recommend red dot. Get one with different brightness levels so that you can use it in any light conditions. I have not tried many types but I do like that the Adco red dot sights are covered by a warranty if they break due to a paintball accident. Mine has taken several direct hits and still works fine. The hotshot is a little hard to clean. Also the on switch can get bumped easily and drain your batteries. (if you store it as recommended [by taking the batteries out between games] you shouldn't have this problem). The adco sights are usually within a conservative price range too. If there are any questions about the Adco hotshot that I haven't answered just let me know. I'm sorry I can't help with questions comparing it to other brands and types. Hope this helped someone.
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#11 User is offline   PhantomWookie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:37 AM

33mm holo reflex sight. Gives me an excellent reference point and a wide, uncluttered field of view. There's no way I could get the same accuracy at 100ft. without a good reference point. The parallax correction is great too; cause I don't have put the red dot exactly in the center (just close to the center) of the lens. Makes aiming a lot quicker for me.

#12 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

Start with a red-dot sight to get an idea of where the marker is going to shoot..

And then once you get used to your marker, you can decide to keep or lose the sight as you see fit. I personally lose it, but that's preference.

Lo

#13 User is offline   NightBlackDelta 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:NightBlackDelta

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

I use a NCStar made Tiberius Rifle Scope. It's also known as the Swatforce Tac Red Dot.

It's a tube based red dot with varying brightness and red/green choice. It's mounted on an offset on my BT4 Assault, but I hope to have it mounted on a carry handle adapter so that I have a backup to it in the field. It's well built. Too well. It has adjustment precision to a level where paintballs can't be consistent.
Jesus may have walked on water... But I can run! That's just how epic I am.

#14 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

i think i have some ncstar 42mm dot sight....the only reason i see for a scope is for recon. Sights scare noobs like nothing else and are really practical for making your first few shots count
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users