• You cannot reply to this topic

A Quick Tactic for rolling over the enemy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   December 

• Ross
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:December

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:57 AM

I would say that I am of mediocre experience playing paintball. The following is a trick that I have noticed myself using against walk-ons, which could apply against a more experienced enemy given greater precision and speed. It works as follows:

1) Through whatever means, you end up tagging some player.
2) Move to his location* and look for the next one, which will likely be within visual range and good shooting vantage.
3) Tag that player.
4) Repeat until enemy is defeated or you are tagged.

* By "his location", I mean on the other side of the bunker or whatever from where he was, such that you are not exposing yourself to the enemy.

I believe this sequence works for the following reasons:

1) Players will naturally stay in visual contact with one or more of their teammates, so having taken up the position of the player you just tagged, you will have visual contact with at least one other player.
2) Teammates do not set up cover between themselves, so the vantage from which you see the next player will be good for the purpose of eliminating him.
3) Once your target in step 1 is tagged, the team will take some amount of time to adjust to the situation. That is, they will need time to acknowledge that the area the tagged player was covering is no longer covered and that either that player's position needs to be refilled or that the battle lines need to be reevaluated.
4) (Continuing from point 3) As the attacker, you are the one controlling the lines of battle (ie. making them more chaotic) so you are able to know where they are at least a few seconds before the defenders.
5) Once this sequence gets rolling, it becomes easier because as a whole, the defending team becomes more and more stunned; The second person you tag will be easier than the first and likewise the third will be easier than the second, and so on.
6) The basic premise here, I suppose, is just to put them on the defensive, but will increasingly poorer defensive capabilities. Stated a different way, it is to use increasing "momentum".

Notes:
This strategy can be said to be one of the components of a good flanking maneuver (in which case the first person you tag would be the guy on the extreme left or right of the defending line, afterwards working yourself latterally along that line), but I have made it work against a dispersed force in a complex terrain of bunkers (ie those wooden hut things). This worked because the players were spread out such that by eliminating one, only one or two others were aware of the kill visually.

Comments are appreciated.
Ross

#2 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

Sounds good to me.

I don't know if that would always work. It sounds logical for the most part, and so do your reasons for it to work. But if the other team is in visual contact of their teammate, then they are in sound range. They will hear you shoot their teammate, and they will hear when he calls himelf out.

You would have to move quickly to get to his bunker before the other team's fire is concentrated on you.

If you do make the run, though, then you're in :ghillie:

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 29 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

#3 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

of course, once you make the run, they've shifted to make sure that they have cover between you and them. it's not like they have to stay still, you know.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#4 User is offline   OmgItsAFire 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

View Postthebostinian, on Jul 30 2007, 08:10 PM, said:

of course, once you make the run, they've shifted to make sure that they have cover between you and them. it's not like they have to stay still, you know.

By shifting to have cover between you and them they will open themselves to attack from other angles, this would work great with a coordinated team. Also in the Art of War there is alot of emphasis on momentum.

#5 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:104914

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:36 PM

I have found the op works for me if I take out a player I will hook left or right and ofter move back a few feet and then move 15 feet to the side. If the opfor sees a guy get hit they all look in that area the worst thing to do is walk right in. Any player with some time under his belt will move into a good def. position to cover the spot where his bud got hit.

#6 User is offline   shadowstalker93 

• Practice equals perfection!!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:shadowwarrior93

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

lol sorry to go off topic but regarding the title....I would just use a steamroller...lol how about that as an opinion :huh: :laugh:

#7 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

View Postthebostinian, on Jul 30 2007, 08:10 PM, said:

True; but it would still be an effective tactic because it will throw the other team off. Not only will they be forced to move, they will not be able to do it in an organized manner because they won't have time to think it through. Also, it might give them that OMG-their-right-on-top-of-us feeling :D

#8 User is offline   December 

• Ross
  • Pip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:55 PM

The prerequisite here is that somehow you have taken someone out and can move forwards as a result. For half a second after you take someone out, you have an advantage in initiative, even though the sum advantage might still go to the other team (they have more players, have better players, are in a better position).
Another way of putting it is that your advantage increases non-linearly for every opponent you tag. The first opponent will be just as difficult as any other. The second will be only slightly easier to tag than the first, but once it gets to the third or fourth (I'd say), your risk starts to pay off with increasing overall advantage beyond a 100% increase.

I suppose we could use the force multipliers paradigm and say that your force multiplier increase (M) is related to the number of people tagged by the following relation:

M = (x-0.5)^2

Who knows if this is precise, I just want to get accross that the first elimination only gives a small advantage and everything after that gives greater and greater advantage.

To return to reality again... This is only one "tactic" based on a couple of observations. In the non-theoretical world, any two teams of equal quality will attempt to forge little advantages and see if they can wedge them open into bigger ones.
Ross

#9 User is offline   December 

• Ross
  • Pip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Jul 29 2007, 10:50 AM, said:

Sounds good to me.

I don't know if that would always work. It sounds logical for the most part, and so do your reasons for it to work. But if the other team is in visual contact of their teammate, then they are in sound range. They will hear you shoot their teammate, and they will hear when he calls himelf out.

You would have to move quickly to get to his bunker before the other team's fire is concentrated on you.

If you do make the run, though, then you're in :)

Yes, that's it exactly. Starting the rush is difficult, once it gets going, things get easier.
Ross

#10 User is offline   rodney 

• Welcome to the Flying Circus
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:vane

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

Uh... yeah... We have a tendency to pull opposing players into attempting to do what you (the original) are talking about. We refer to it as the 'hey look at me'. We use one player to move slow in the open and draw fire. Then we light the sucker and his two buddys up from the flanks.

Players tend to be people, and as such tend to be quite adaptable.

If you think about it, that's why you are here... because your ancestor figured out that not getting stomped by a mammoth was in his best interest.

Wanna steam-roll... here's the basics as I see them:

1. Learn to spot (and use) lanes of fire.
2. Shoot where your target is GOING, not where he's at.
3. Learn to line up trees and use bunkers.
4. When using said trees/bunkers don't pop out of the same place twice.
5. Listen to your buddy to tell you what is going on and move accordingly.
6. If you're not being shot at move. (If you are not shooting, moving, or talking; you are not playing.)
7. Talk to your buddys... let them know whats going on.
8. NEVER PUT YOUR MARKER DOWN... EVEN WHILE RELOADING! KEEP IT POINTED AT THE OPPOSITION AND SHOOTING!
9. If the risk/payoff ratio is good, take it. No game has ever been won by a bunch of guys that diddnt leave the start station.
10. Read the field and your opponants. Sometimes you gotta hit the 50 on break... sometimes you gotta let the other guy get comfortable before you smear him.
11. Always have a spare marker, tank, loader and toolkit.Your DM7 might be able to shoot darts at 25bps, but that is not going to help you very much when your Halo takes a steaming dump.
12. Just shoot the guy... that's all you have to do.

#11 User is offline   NukeHappy 

• Nuke em till they glow then shoot em in the dark
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:NukeHappy

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

Plans and tactics are perfect untill it comes to implament them into the game. What I would do here is yell "Tagged, Im Out!" with my arms up so my team could see where it had happened and watch that flank a little more carefully. Its an Ok tactic, however it has to many areas for it to fail. Try playing and thinking trying to figure out a good tactic that works for you and play it untill it becomes second nature. I usually walk around the field just looking at stuff seeing what all can work and stuff, and also look at the other team and estimate how good they are. After that you can think of a good tactic right there or use one from a play book in your head. I have like 5+ for every field, helps when your in a jam.

If your playing some real stupid walk ons... slide in with their ranks and shoot at your own team (well at the dirt near them) and let them push up with your "cover fire" then light them up from the rear... it works actually, but playing a beter team, or using it once it wont work. But this is the "Lone Wolf" move, and I dont like lone wolf moves unless it is a sniper... try to get some buddies or just several walk ons that look like they have the right stuff to help you on your "mission." Try and estimate how fast they can go, how long they can go, their guns (important), and how they use their guns (most important)... or you could just ask them... With this in mind, you can give them a run down of what their possibilites are when stuff happens.

Also just get some basic hand signals, can do it while your walking out. Holding your one finger up is one target then point where. The peace sign is 2 targets then point where. Then you can say "two guys over there." or "two guys there and there." Doing a "walking guy" with your fingers then pointing where helps. Waving your hand over your head means cover... Those being the basic will help you out *tremendously* youd be so supprized how. To do this though, youd need 2+ guys...

Id stick with the 2-3 man tactics with 7+ people drawing fire. The 2-3 people can flank people as well as give cover fire for eachother. if you have 3, have do give a base of fire (distraction) while someone else flanks them. If he comes under fire they all bump up.

2-3 men = awsome.
1 man = sniper/lone wolf
7+ = big distraction so the real dirt can get shoveled.
Official Sabre 123 - If we can't do it, it doesnt need to be done.

If you are a christian paintballer add this to your signature

#12 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:34 AM

Overall this is a pretty sound tactic, even given some of its limitations (as pointed out in previous posts - thanks Phillip122).
The trick for making this kind of thing work is, in my experience, all about timing. You need to take the first guy out at a moment when his team-mates arent paying attention, or move fast enough to get into your eliminated opponents position BEFORE his team realizes he's gone. Ideally, they will be spread out in a skirmish line, preparing to engage the bulk of your team from another direction, so that this tactic can be applied from a flank.

#13 User is offline   Griff 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Griff74

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

I think that your idea of exploiting a hole in the opposing force's lines is good, although perhaps not quite for the same reasons. If possible, though, you and a buddy or two should rush up, as this will throw the opfor into complete disarray rather than just being confused by one person

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim!!
Audaces fortuna iuvat
-fortune favors the brave

#14 User is offline   Joey Skywalker 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:superstarwarsfan

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

When I saw the topic title I thought you meant rolling over the other team with a tank or something. I think your idea is a little safer tho
If it moves SHOOT IT. if you're somewhat sure he's not a ref SHOOT HIM. If he's on your own team and you're bored SHOOT AWAY!

Good topics you should read:Poll for Poll Jukie's I-II-III-IV-V -VI ALWAYS WEAR A MASK Make your own paint grenades Stay hydrated in-game Smoke grenades A new mask idea

G.R.O.S.S. club member #3

#15 User is offline   reaver304 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:chupacabra304

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

i prefer to just flank out and around lookin at each bunker
you need me to point your fingers at and say thats the bad guy
but that doesnt make you good guys it just makes you cowards that dont have the guts to be what you wanna be...there are ambush snipers and ghost flankers im both!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users