• You cannot reply to this topic

Lone Wolf Mode How to play when there's no backup coming Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   silenthornet 

• Insert witty phrase here
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:silenthornet

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

In Woodsball, there are many times where you will find yourself alone, whether due to your squad being eliminated or your separation from a team maneuver. However it happened, you're alone and behind enemy lines, with little or no prospects of linking up with your team soon. Normally, your first reaction may be to find your way back to your team's territory. However, if you can master the art of the Lone Wolf, being left behind can be the best thing that's ever happened to you. Here are a few tips on just how to stay alive and benefit from solo operations:

1: Bushes are your friends.
When moving, stay off the paths and out of the open. At best, linger along the treeline where growth is a bit more subdued, but thick enough that you can easily duck into concealment should an enemy appear. Especially when going for mission objectives, a firefight with half the enemy team is the last thing you want.

2: I dub thee ghost.
No matter what your setup is, be it an Angel with ten pods strapped to your back or a rental Custom 98 with a half-empty hopper, you are now an Ambush Sniper. Stealth is your primary weapon - if they can't find you, they can't shoot you. If facing a group of three or less, wait for them to be close enough to ensure you can hit at least one of them off the break without being detected. Better yet, if your cover is good enough, wait for all three to be easily hit before opening up. Dead men can't shoot.

3: Stick to the tape line.
Also a tactic applicable for team maneuvers, the sides of the field remove an angle of attack from you, removing an entire side you could be flanked from.

4. Slow down, play cautious.
Sprinting is bad, unless you're being shot. Walk. Crouch. Crawl. If the enemy isn't in a hurry, why should you? Don't let the adrenaline in your system get a hold of you. Keep logical - voices mean people. Always assume there's one more guy you didn't see. Don't be hasty to attack large groups - you can try attacking a squad of five, but don't rush them. Ambush them on a path, get behind them and light them up.

These are tips for when you're hidden and have the advantage of surprise. But what happens when you're found out?

1. Stay. Moving.
Cannot be stressed enough. You can and will be flanked and suppressed in a 3v1 firefight. If you don't maintain mobility, you will be taken out. Pop a few shots to put their heads down, and book it. Get to another piece of cover, lie down, anything to misdirect their attention to the place you just were, instead of where you are now. You have to be your own Sabre here, you have to let your presence act as a distraction while you move in for the kill. Again, the enemy can't shoot you if they don't know where you are.

2: Deception, deception.
The enemy doesn't necessarily know you're alone. While moving around from bunker to bunker, call out to your "teammates." Yell out a fake code, enemy positions. "Hey, (team member), there's one to your left! (Another team member), watch the treeline!" Especially if they can't tell you're moving, the enemy may believe there are quite a few of you on the field. If you feel particularly devious, unscrew your tank just a tad, enough that the air supply to your gun is low enough to generate that "Low air," noise, which in many markers sounds like a farting machine gun. If your opponent is "smart," they may recognize your vulnerability and go for the charge - just in time for you to screw back in your tank and open up.

3. Retreat is always an option.
If you get caught in a head on firefight with more people than you're comfortable with, don't be afraid to run and hide. Go back into Sniper mode, blend into the treeline and wait for them to disperse into easily eliminated solo players. Heck, you run away just to lure them into a sense of security, then pick them off from a bush as they lay chase!

4. Take one for the team.
Especially in scenario games, your presence can just be an annoyance for objective-seeking forces. Even if it means you get pinned down behind a twig with ten guys crashing down on you, the ten minutes they spend trying to take you out means ten minutes those guys aren't hassling the main force of your team. Even if it means death, a mad charge into the enemy base could hold up an enemy movement for critical moments that could decide a game.

tl;dr:
-Stay down, use your camouflage for something other than clothes.
-Don't shoot at everyone you see, because you won't win a 10v1 fight.
-Move around, juke 'em out, keep 'em guessing.
-When all else fails, run like heck - away or towards the enemy.
It is dark. You are likely to be flanked.

#2 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

also sometimes in a scenario game, just posting up in sight of a major objective on a field, like around a main feature or path, using a radio to alert your own side to the enemies, and acting as their spotter until they arrived is almost invaluable. not to mention you can stalk them if they head unwittingly into the direction of your backup. they'd be sandwiched. once the first shots open up, they'll bunker down, and you can pick them off. not to mention your allies kills too. just remember that they know where you are so they dont shoot you or at you.

another good lone wolf tactic is to just stay quiet and sneak all the way down the field. not a dead mans walk, i mean 100% unbeknownst to the enemy. dont even engage until you make it most of the way behind their lines. then just turn around and ambush you some opfor. the key to this one is to penetrate enemy lines and start some action deep in their territory. if you kepe doing it, it'll mess with their heads. the earlier they are on edge then the earlier they'll relax when they get closer to the lines. no one can stay 100% focused all the time, they'll relax, and get sloppy for your team. easier prey for them right? and you get to cause some major damage to their morale.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#3 User is offline   silenthornet 

• Insert witty phrase here
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:silenthornet

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

View PostIron__Man, on Oct 27 2009, 12:35 AM, said:

also sometimes in a scenario game, just posting up in sight of a major objective on a field, like around a main feature or path, using a radio to alert your own side to the enemies, and acting as their spotter until they arrived is almost invaluable. not to mention you can stalk them if they head unwittingly into the direction of your backup. they'd be sandwiched. once the first shots open up, they'll bunker down, and you can pick them off. not to mention your allies kills too. just remember that they know where you are so they dont shoot you or at you.

another good lone wolf tactic is to just stay quiet and sneak all the way down the field. not a dead mans walk, i mean 100% unbeknownst to the enemy. dont even engage until you make it most of the way behind their lines. then just turn around and ambush you some opfor. the key to this one is to penetrate enemy lines and start some action deep in their territory. if you kepe doing it, it'll mess with their heads. the earlier they are on edge then the earlier they'll relax when they get closer to the lines. no one can stay 100% focused all the time, they'll relax, and get sloppy for your team. easier prey for them right? and you get to cause some major damage to their morale.

I agree wholly. Communication is paramount, though sometimes (especially in scenarios) radios and other forms of communication are unusable. Also, if you're close enough to your team that you're capable of performing a sandwhich attack, you're less "Lone Wolf" than you are "Dude running to the front line from the wrong direction." As I said in the OP, the tips are more how to stay alive while you do what you do, and mainly while you're in a situation when you have no contact with your allies (i.e. it's hard to lead someone into a trap when your team is half across the field).
It is dark. You are likely to be flanked.

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

I think being that "Thorn in the Enemy" is huge when playing an objective based game. Just this past Saturday I was at a scenario. We were tasked w/ a special mission of defending a flag for 30 minutes. I was w/ a small group of maybe 5 guys that was on the left flank, two of us posted up behind a wedge of two oversized pallets while the rest spread out. The other 3 got eliminated in the first 5 minutes. The guy in my bunker split to a different location to keep them from flanking our right. The two of us ended up holding down that entire side past the 30 minute mark. As it was, one of us could have probably held them off by ourselves just because of the location advantage we had. I think the ability to be one person causing havok or just slowing troop movement is a big part of scenario games when you are up against players who aren't really organized.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#5 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

GREAT POST!!!! I agree with this post! The unscrewing the tank thing is AWSOME, I want to try that in a game!!!
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#6 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

^^ if you like that, then you'll love this...

on a shake n bake hopper, use a small blade and make a slight slit into the neck of the hopper where the balls feed into the marker. it cant be too big or the hopper will be weak and possibly break off. it cant be too small otherwise it wont work.

so...

you're in a game and you want to get the enemy player out of cover. so whats easier than coming to him? making him come to you. so what you do is put a playing card, or some kind of credit card sized item into the slit on the hopper neck. you proceed to shoot the balls left below the neck out. you make a big fuss about needing ammo.. enemy hears this and hears you shooting air, so he takes th ebait and decides to make the kill/surrender. well once you see him leap out, you take the card out of the shake n bake's neck, let the ball into the chamber, and shoot him when he least expects it. kinda like the air tank thing but faster and doesnt waste as much air. :D
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#7 User is offline   Ry and Raft 

• That dude in the Punisher shirt
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xarchxangelx

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Great post.

I've played Lone Wolf more than with a team, and these tactics are typically full proof.

One essential tip I must add to any Lone Wolves: Cardio. Like the first rule of Zombieland, Cardio is essentially to out running and flanking your enemy.

And to quote Bruce Lee, "be like water, my friend". Be liquid, when the line is to strong to break through, slosh around it and get behind your opponents.

If you happen upon any friendly players wandering around, get them to follow you and help you out.
Task Force 68 | Michigan Wraith Battalion CO

#8 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

I have been left in this situation a few times, and all but one time I was successful in making a quick peeling-style retreat, then finding my way to the end of the opponents line, where the odds are evened up by attacking the end of the line. You have to be careful not to overflank, because you would put yourself in the same situation as you were in before, just from the other side of their line. You might surprise a couple of your opponents from behind, but after a couple, the opposition will be on to you.

It's tempting just to fall straight back and away, but you have to keep your composure and avoid ending up in the center of their line, or worse yet, being enclosed in a semi or full circle. As you fall back, do not turn your back. A couple of shots returned will keep your opponents thinking about making an all out charge. You might even take out a couple as you fall back. Most opponents are very surprised when their prey turns against their superior number. I love the wide-eyed look in their eyes and their choked-off screams as I turn a corner or from around a bush and pop-em with a few well-aimed shots....what a rush!

The only time it failed I ran out of paint against the last guy of 7 or 8 opponents. Still, even though he shot me before I could get close enough for a barrel tag, I left the field satisfied with witnessing his fear as I approached from his flank. I was "Rambo" the rest of the day!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:42 AM

Big thing- Don't get tunnel vision. Keep your head on a swivel. It's really easy to stay focused on one area, but remember that you're alone and have no one watching your back. So make sure that no opposing player(s) are trying to out-flank you. If they do, fall back and mess up their manuever. Don't get backed up into a corner, and make sure you have room to get a good shooting position. I have found myself in some terrible positions where I could not do jack crap, and barely had enough room to bring my marker up. It didn't end up too well. Also, patience is a big thing. I learned that and haven't forgoten it. Lets say you find yourself alone and you're right at the opposing sides' door step. You just fended off / taken out about three or four players, and there is a butt load in their dead box with the respawn coming up. They know that you're out there, but not your exact spot. What would you do in this situation? Well, when they respawn, keep quiet and let them move up. Let them get close then unleash hell. If you can, stay alive and keep them coming after you for as long as possible. Let them use up their paint and air (and in some cases, TIME!), while you take your shots carefully. It's definatly a great adrenaline rush when this sort of thing goes down!
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#10 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Another deception-tactic that absolutely worked for me last weekend.... I was re-inserting and a ref told me "heh, better hurry." I asked why. Well, "why" was because there were eight or nine guys moving in on our base, and I was about to be the only player there taller than 4' 0". Half their team was walking down the road towards me and a kid -- who knew exactly what he was about to be getting into, so he wasn't exactly too fond on staying.

I sent the kid for backup, and then I stood right out in the open and started pointing and shouting orders -- to nobody. I'd stare off at one patch of bushes and nod, or shake me head, or give a thumbs-up. I'd run back and forth between empty bunkers and pass out empty pods.

Well, the bad guys didn't know any better -- they thought I had some guys! So they took their sweet time coming in at me. I managed to hold them off me for several minutes without even firing a shot -- long enough for a few more players to come back in, and suddenly I actually HAD the people I was pretending to have all along. Then when I vanished to go flank them, the whole group messed their pants and ran away.... or something like that.

Moral of the story, you don't have to be sneaky to be deceptive. If you give them a reason to, that team rolling down the road will slow themselves down. Sniping and sneaking will certainly work, but sometimes you can get a little creative out there and really get into their heads.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#11 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

What is always fun is to shoot at a group from behind a bunker, get them shooting at you then just sit back and let them waste several pods of paint on the bunker you're behind.

#12 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

View PostSchecter, on Nov 17 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

What is always fun is to shoot at a group from behind a bunker, get them shooting at you then just sit back and let them waste several pods of paint on the bunker you're behind.

Careful with that! A good team might rush your bunker and put you in a world of hurt, if you're not careful...
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#13 User is offline   Guitar Hero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:GUITAR HERO

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

Gernades could be very useful to a lone player. For example, if you saw some guys coming at you, you could hide and let them pass. Then toss a 'nade at them to get them out. If there were any survivers you could just shot them while they're confused.

#14 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Nov 17 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

Another deception-tactic that absolutely worked for me last weekend.... I was re-inserting and a ref told me "heh, better hurry." I asked why. Well, "why" was because there were eight or nine guys moving in on our base, and I was about to be the only player there taller than 4' 0". Half their team was walking down the road towards me and a kid -- who knew exactly what he was about to be getting into, so he wasn't exactly too fond on staying.

I sent the kid for backup, and then I stood right out in the open and started pointing and shouting orders -- to nobody. I'd stare off at one patch of bushes and nod, or shake me head, or give a thumbs-up. I'd run back and forth between empty bunkers and pass out empty pods.

Well, the bad guys didn't know any better -- they thought I had some guys! So they took their sweet time coming in at me. I managed to hold them off me for several minutes without even firing a shot -- long enough for a few more players to come back in, and suddenly I actually HAD the people I was pretending to have all along. Then when I vanished to go flank them, the whole group messed their pants and ran away.... or something like that.

Moral of the story, you don't have to be sneaky to be deceptive. If you give them a reason to, that team rolling down the road will slow themselves down. Sniping and sneaking will certainly work, but sometimes you can get a little creative out there and really get into their heads.

Haha, that's beautiful. I completely agree that that tactic is awesome, but its even better when you sneak in between points of cover and take shots from all of them. One player on my team once managed to use this tactic well enough that after the game, the other team asked us if all 10 of our team members had gone back in to the game (illegally), but it was just the one guy doing basically what you were doing.

This post has been edited by Invictusone: 27 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#15 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

View PostMinnesota Sn1p3r, on Oct 27 2009, 01:14 PM, said:

GREAT POST!!!! I agree with this post! The unscrewing the tank thing is AWSOME, I want to try that in a game!!!

It's funny cause something similar happened to me by accident a few times one day - I have the Tech T Zero Kick ACT Hammer installed in my 98C but I had set my velocity a little low so every few games my bolt wouldn't "quite" reset and it would make that noise like I was out of air a couple seconds...and then reset my bolt on it's own.

Soooo many people tried to rush me then but I was already ready to fire, it was great ... but it wasn't exactly on command, just when I had taken certain shots. It was in a "Street" style terrain though, so it wasn't particularly easy to ambush in this one (small).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users