Special Ops Paintball: What Defines A Hammer Paintball Gun - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Defines A Hammer Paintball Gun Rate Topic: -----

Poll: What Defines A Hammer Paintball Gun (32 member(s) have cast votes)

barrels

1. 1 (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

2. 2 (28 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

3. 3+ (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

markers

1. 1 (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

2. 2+ (25 votes [78.12%])

Percentage of vote: 78.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

i designed a paintball gun and want to know if it qualifies as a hammer. i posted a topic about it and intended the gun to be used in any position. here is a pic of the design
[attachment=25295:Update_3.PNG]
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#2 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

well it looks like the p90 kit that's out there for a5's, but a little different.

as for what defines a hammer's gun, well ther's several points of view. first, some people say you an use any gun for any position, which is true. BUT we as hammers like to throw in the angle that some guns are better for certain positions.... i.e. we prefer to see the double trouble, or larger multi marker guns to be used for hammers than single markers. the biggest reason is firing time between reloads. with a double trouble, a target can be shot a continuously for 30 seconds at 30bps.. field legally. a reguar marker can only do 15 bps for something like 6 seconds. we prefer the long firing time because it gives us the ability to pin someone down for a VERY long time allowing a teammate or squad to bunker or surrender the subject being held down by us.

now as for covering fire anyone can provide that, a DT just does it better. we also feed of the fact that most players are either too weak or cheap to spring for the twins. sure some people can' afford it but wish to play as a hammer in a support role, and for them the DT argument doesn't really apply. i mean, you can't punish someone because they cant afford a piece of equipment. but the irritating part is when peole pop in and tel us that we don't need the DT when theyve never seen one or used one in person.

hope that helps a bit.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#3 User is offline   Custom Cowboy 

• Heavy Gunner in a Kilt
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Custom Cowboy

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:13 PM

Don't tell anyone I said this, but the reason a hammer gun is a hammer gun is pure weight. If its heavy enough to actually be used as a hammer and can effectively knock out an 1,800 bull with one swing, its good enough to be a hammer.
Now you know our secret.
www.shatteredangelspaintball.com

#4 User is offline   T_DEVIL 

• The DEVIL didn't make me do it! I just could!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:T_DEVIL

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Great! YET another secret handed out in casual conversation! :D

ABANDON ALL HOPE!

#5 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

geeze... good hing they don't know about the steroid injections you get free when you build the twins... oops... our secret mailing list...:eck:

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

SHHH!!! Loose lips sink ships!

I actually was surprised by Iron_Man's comment about the cost of the markers. I actually used that argument in another thread about Hammers, I forget where. I'd guess than in general larger teams are more likely to have someone with a DT because they have someone who can afford it, and in large team play, it is more useful than a simple one-shot job.

The question I have is, would it be useful to have the DT's markers able to pivot? From what I see you basically have two markers pointed the same direction. Suppose they pointed in slightly different directions, would that increase the field of fire?

I dunno, I'm not a Hammer. And I don't have a DT, nor have I seen one up close. I am essentially completely ignorant....Ok...I am feeling stupider by the second....
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:02 PM

well, yes and no. see, most paintballs are innacurate enough (especially because i buy CHEAP paint), so the 2 barrels actually give you a pretty solid cone of fire. add apexes, and look out mamma! you could theoretically set the twins up right now to be able to shoot at 2 opposite corners of a speedball field. lol. but the whole pivot thing is arguable. yea, you could have them angled a bit, but for the simplicity of building the twins, they are set on the chassis. if they were to pivot, that would add alot of complex mechanical parts to keep the cranks connected and turning.... think drive shaft on a truck. as for the realistic concern of area coverage, its never really been a problem. most players just twist their hips a bit, and bam... back on target. and if even the DT doesnt give you enough splat, there's always the quadzilla..... how about a 64 BPS 4 foot wide firing lane? :)

so, yea, you could do it for giggles, but for practicality it comes down to "re point the darn thing" and " dont fix what aint broke", and finally " well, if the big nasty isnt good enough.. just make something bigger and nastier." lol.

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

^ Well put.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#9 User is offline   PLAGUE's Short Bus 

• Forum ninja....screw that! Forum PIRATE!!!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE SHORT BUS

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

this may be off topic...but i love iron man.

as for the gun, it just looks pretty BA.
The PLAGUE...............Paintball Just Got Sicker!

At the end of the day, it's the guy with the most heart that wins.

#10 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

View PostPLAGUE, on Jul 29 2008, 04:19 PM, said:

this may be off topic...but i love iron man.

as for the gun, it just looks pretty BA.

i :heart: you too. :happy:

:D

#11 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

This is a loaded subject for me. Actually, this is more or less how I "cut my teeth here in the Spec Ops forum" was going on about the position, and the marker used. Two years ago, and now, you just can't find the threads very easily anymore about the discussions, the arguments, the going back and forth. As far as I am concerned, despite the arguments, the player defines the role, not the equipment. Yes, this is just as true about the Hammer position as it is about anything else.

I carry one marker at a time. I actually literally played paintball back in 1997-1998 with two markers in my hands. It started with a Shoebox Shocker and an upped Minimag. It changed to add in a V6 LED Angel. I would literally carry two markers (With hoppers and air tanks) and anywhere between six and eight pods of paint on me. I could swing both of them on one target or point them at two different targets and shoot some paint. Now a days, I only carry one marker on my person at a time when I play. It is all about shooting the paint more accurately, and laying down some good suppressive fire for my team mates, whether it be members of Team ForestFire or whatever collection of ragtag walk-ons I happen to be paired up with, to be able to move around and maybe gets some shots on people. In this case, in my opinion, and simply mine, you want something that is accurate, without having to be sniper accurate, quick, air efficient, and, most importantly, reliable. And I wanted to comment on this:

View PostIron__Man, on Jun 29 2008, 10:24 AM, said:

as for what defines a hammer's gun, well ther's several points of view. first, some people say you an use any gun for any position, which is true. BUT we as hammers like to throw in the angle that some guns are better for certain positions.... i.e. we prefer to see the double trouble, or larger multi marker guns to be used for hammers than single markers. the biggest reason is firing time between reloads. with a double trouble, a target can be shot a continuously for 30 seconds at 30bps.. field legally. a reguar marker can only do 15 bps for something like 6 seconds. we prefer the long firing time because it gives us the ability to pin someone down for a VERY long time allowing a teammate or squad to bunker or surrender the subject being held down by us.

This is a bit inaccurate, but keep in mind, I am being a bit technical here. Using a Tippmann A-5 or X7 as an example, shooting 15 BPS, with the stock hoppers, you are probably able to lay it down for almost 10 full seconds, shooting either with the RT trigger, or using an E-Grip that is tuned right. Using a DT, let us say a pair of Tippmann A-5's, again with stock hoppers, you are still shooting about 10 seconds, just shooting double the amount of paint. Now I know that most Hammers out there have larger hoppers, I want to say about 300 rounds per hopper, but yes, I have seen 450 round hoppers. So yes, with 450 round hoppers, you can carry 900 in the hoppers alone, and hit 30 BPS legally (Do keep in mind, the potential is there to actually have a DT hit 30 BPS legally on pretty much every single field in the US, if not the world) and lay down so much paint that everything in the immediate area of your attention turns to whatever fill your balls are. This is one thing about a DT that is properly set up that no one can argue, no matter what. You won't hear me every downgrade the Hammers ability to do this very thing.

Beyond this, anything that I have to say is less about the Hammer gun, and more about playing the what I perceive to be the position. It's unimportant in this thread. I still stick to my original belief that a Hammers gun should be pretty accurate, quick, air efficient, and reliable. Although many people will argue the air efficiency, You don't want to be out there shooting something that goes through a whole 68/4500 tank in 800 paintballs or less. Even if you carry two tanks, you won't be able to shoot your hopper from full to empty twice before you need more air.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#12 User is offline   Machine Gun Kelly 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MACHINE GUN KELLY

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

What defines a Hammer Gun is not the bps, the number of markers, or the number of barrels. Instead it is the psychological game it plays on the opposing team. At the field that I play at we have a lot of newbs come by. After playing against me, they always say, "Even if you weren't shooting at me I still ducked into cover." Granted they are newbs so they don't know that much about the world of paintball, but the fact that they won't even try to return fire is a HUGE advantage for my team. True it takes about 20-30 bps and a lot of paint to demand this kind of respect. So to all of the newbs who want to be a heavy gunner, but can't even dream of a double marker gatlin, all you need is a automatic marker (responsive or electronic trigger/hopper), a 6+1 harness, a lot of paintballs, and just enough attitude to make everyone else think you've done this before.

#13 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

I agree with you, but I also disagree with you. In my book, it's the player that defines the position, not the equipment. But years ago, I distinguished myself at a certain big game, I think before there was a Spec Ops, by walking around with 17 pods on the field, and 19 pods off the field (Two more jammed into the belt of my pack). I was shooting an old LED V6 Angel with a 114/3000 tank, so it was not going to shoot that all at one sitting, but since I picked up two cases of paint, I felt that I might as well carry as much as I could. I actually was able to find myself a pod monkey to pick up my empties as I went through the paint. I was not shooting 20+ BPS, as the old Angels are limited to about 15 BPS, and with a single trigger shooting semi auto, I was not shooting that fast. But I was able to lay down the paint like no other out there. Actually, what was really funny was my first year, walking through the parking lot looking for people that I knew (Very few people that I actually knew) and having people, kids, teens, and adults, coming up to me and asking me what team I was playing for. If I answered with the same color team that they were on, they ran off yelling "The Pro is playing on our team". Somehow, I got ranked into a select group of people that were actual tourney players, even though I had not played one in years, and I certainly was not as good as those that played the NPPL/PSP, when it was still altogether and 10 man was still the big leagues.

Unfortunately, the Hammer is less the player defining the role, and the equipment that the player is using being his definition. Which reminds me, anyone want to buy a DT?

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#14 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

so if it is multiple markers that define a hammer, then gatling guns dont count?
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#15 User is offline   lardlad 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:lardlad

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

Gatlin guns are too heavy to use.

Tippmann Owners Club #119

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic