• You cannot reply to this topic

CPR just incase

#1 User is offline   oerllikon 

• All closed bolt.... Awwww yeeaah
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SIA5 Dagger

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:21 PM

i recently took a babysitting class(it sucked, and IM NOT A PHEM, lol)
but anyway, we learned how to do cpr

1. 30 chest pumps at a normal heart rate

2. two breaths.

3. repeat until the person is breathing on their own.

i wouldnt suggest going by this alone. you should take a cpr class.

#2 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:13 AM

I should really get properly trained for first aid including CPR. Good stuff to know when camping and whatnot.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#3 User is offline   Stang  

• Invictus
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

View Postoerllikon, on Apr 5 2007, 11:21 PM, said:

i recently took a babysitting class(it sucked, and IM NOT A PHEM, lol)
but anyway, we learned how to do cpr

1. 30 chest pumps at a normal heart rate

2. two breaths.

3. repeat until the person is breathing on their own.

i wouldnt suggest going by this alone. you should take a cpr class.

There's not much more than that though, just tilting their head back, checking for anything lodged in the throat incase they're just choking, and don't need CPR, listening for/feeling for a breathe, things like that.

This post has been edited by Deuce: 06 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

#4 User is offline   foodawg 

• Some days a cynic, Some days a pessimist!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Foodawg

Post icon  Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

I used to be an EMT and an instructor for the Red Cross for their various types of CPR (Community, Adult, Professional, etc.)

There is a little more to it than that. Granted, if I was down and there was no one who actually knew, I would hope someone would at least try.

However, if done wrong, you can break the zyphoid process (the little boney thing at the front center of your rib cage at the bottom of the breast plate) and lacerate the heart with it, you can break a rib and puncture a lung or the diaphram, and a few other issues I can think of.

Even professionals often break ribs while giving CPR.

Also, CPR is much different for a child than an adult, and even more different for an infant.

I would highly recommend that EVERYONE over the age of 10 take a community first aid and CPR course. They cover everything from CPR, heat stroke/exhaustion, to bleeding, etc.

It is well worth the time and effort.

An KUDOs to who ever stops to help their fellow man in distress. Too many people just keep walking!

This post has been edited by foodawg: 06 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

#5 User is offline   paintman2151 

• COMMAND SERGENT
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

im a lifeguard so this class is mandatory, but like foodawg its more complicated then that. its not just look somebody fell down lets give them CPR, there is more to that. you have to know how to clear the throat, on adults and babies, you dont always do chest compressions, but yeah everybody should take a class on CPR it could save someones like one day.

Oh yeah, i have heard that you break two ribs if you do CPR right.
Check out my D-Day Scenario Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw31DMkJWl4...re=channel_page

^^^^WATCH THE VIDEO^^^^

#6 User is offline   Redlight 

• When the going gets tough, the tough go in!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Redlight

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

It's also very important to keep your certification current once you have it!

For example, in the last 5 years there have been at least 2 revisions to the CPR standard recommended by the American Heart Association.

These are the practices recommended by the best and brightest Cardiologists around, and are designed to improve not only your chance of survival, but also your recovery to 100%.

The bottom line is that anything is better than nothing, but training and practice is still the best for you.

Have a Safe Day!

Rick

p.s. There's no more landmarking in the new CPR protocols, so the Zyphoid Process is relatively safe! LOL!

This post has been edited by Redlight: 10 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

A Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on mine!
Visit My Feedback The Whiteboard - confusing non players since 2002
Firefighter Close Calls Visit My Brigade Page

#7 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

View Postpaintman2151, on Apr 10 2007, 09:39 AM, said:

Oh yeah, i have heard that you break two ribs if you do CPR right.

Not really.. its not like "One Rib... Snap* two rib.. snap* YES! I got it!" actually, ribs can be broken, its somewhat of a common occurance....personally if you're pushing that far down in my opinion, and breaking ribs. you may be doing it a tad bit hard.. I've seen some people in action and they were certainly roughing it for sure... (roughing the person that is)

Never broken a rib... had to do somewhat once... from lifeguarding, pulled someone out, and so forth... they needed some help and what not.. I'll save the story since it was a long time ago..

But yes, having atleast 1-2 certified CPR people present at paintball games, definately helps.. as stated above, anyone and everyone should look into it.

you know when its needed

-Oct

#8 User is offline   macsdd 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:macsdd

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

is it not 20 compressions at 1 inch into the chest for every 2 breaths?
- Macsdd 8)

#9 User is offline   Redlight 

• When the going gets tough, the tough go in!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Redlight

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:32 AM

View Postmacsdd, on Apr 24 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

is it not 20 compressions at 1 inch into the chest for every 2 breaths?

That depends upon which group you fall into. There is a difference between Professional Health Care Providers and the Lay people out there. I believe the new standard for Mr. Joe Public working on an adult is 30 compressions to 2 ventilations. Health Care Providers are indefinate compressions once a difinitive airway is in place.

Again I want to emphasise, if you haven't taken a course, Please Do. It may save the life of someone close to you some day!
A Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on mine!
Visit My Feedback The Whiteboard - confusing non players since 2002
Firefighter Close Calls Visit My Brigade Page

#10 User is offline   Rtwo 

• Christian woodsballer
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:r2

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

I'm CPR and first-aid certified because of another job, and will probably be renewing my certifications when the time comes up. IMO, especially if you do a lot of outlaw, you should have at least one certified person in your group.

It's not overly expensive, and if you are part of a team, you could perhaps even all chip in to pay for the classes.

This post has been edited by Rtwo: 25 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

#11 User is offline   SilentKiller 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:43 AM

I am also a lifegaurd and had to get CPR training, I would also suggest everyone that can at least learn how to do if not get ceritfied.

#12 User is offline   Ananahead 

• Well, you know what that means. Get the ductape.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ananahead

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

I took a CPR course about 2 years ago at the local firehall. It went something like this:
1. Check breathing and pulse.
2. If neither, trace the bottom of the rib cage to where it meets in the middle (zyphoid) and measure two finger widths above the zyphoid.
3. give 15 chest compressions and 2 breaths, then check pulse and breathing again.
4. Repeat until patient is Breathing on his/her own and has a puse, until you are too tired to continue and there is someone else there who can help, or proffetional help arrives.

#13 User is offline   macsdd 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:macsdd

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

mate sorry but the compressions to breaths changed this year to 30 to 2 and you no longer check pulse youi check for sighs of circulation. also a AED on an outlaw or even a public playing feild will help the victems chance of survival, and there easy to use.
- Macsdd 8)

#14 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:32 AM

View Postmacsdd, on May 3 2007, 07:51 AM, said:

mate sorry but the compressions to breaths changed this year to 30 to 2

True, it did change. However, depending on when you get your cert, you may be able to keep your cert as doing 15 and 2. I got mine in december and since it will be renwed in about november for work, we are still allowed to do 15-2. Once we re-cert then yah 30-2. Local Red Cross and State one deemed that acceptable for now.

Check your local though.

-Oct

#15 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet. CPR is a lifesaving tool, but DON'T DO IT WITHOUT CHECKING THE VICTIM'S AIRWAY/BREATHING/CIRCULATION FIRST. If you give CPR to a healthy person, you can make things way worse. Before you ever give CPR, there are a few steps you need to take.

1. Check the scene. If the victim is unconcious because he's lying in an electrocuted puddle of water, you jumping in ain't gonna help anybody. Make sure it's safe to approach the victim.

2. Send for help. CPR doesn't work in real life like it does in the movies -- you aren't going to wake him up and make him better. 9 times out of 10, CPR will keep the victim from worsening, but it won't bring him back to life on its own. You need the help of real EMTs to do that, so call 911, or direct somebody else to call 911.

3. Check the victim. See if he's just asleep (stranger things have happened). Tap him, shake him, yell at him, and see if he talks back or wakes up. THere are a lot of different kinds of "unconcious," and you best rule out all the easy ones before you move on to CPR.

4. Check for breathing. Obviously if he can talk, cough, or otherwise breath, don't give CPR. His heart and lungs won't appreciate that. Put your ear over the victim's mouth and watch his chest for rising/falling motion. If you can feel air, hear breathing, or see his chest move, don't give CPR. Look, listen, and feel for 5-10 seconds before moving on.

--note: gasping isn't the same as breathing. You can still give rescue breaths for gasping people--

5. While you're doing step 4, or afterwards, check for a pulse. Best place is the carotid artery in the neck. If you can feel a pulse, don't give CPR. You can still give "rescue breaths" (think CPR without compressions) if necessary, but compressions are unhealthy for you, so don't do those unless you have to.

6. Now you have all the information you need on the victim to take appropriate action. Go for it, save a life and make your mother proud.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users