• You cannot reply to this topic

Drop-Shoot How often do you do it? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

This is kind of an offshoot of the "Going Prone" thread from the saber area. When people were discussing being prone in paintball games, it brought to mind a popular video game tactic, the drop-shot, a technique in which you immediatly throw yourself to the ground in a prone position and begin firing if you encounter and opponent in the open.

Now in all of my years paintballing, I have only drop-shot once, but it was very effective. Does anyone else do this a lot?
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

*facepalm*

LOL...I never considered doing this for paintball...I would prefer to be able to maneuver instead of locking myself to a position.

If the underbrush were thick enough, I'd consider it. But just in a field or cleared area, no way :D

-Tenacious

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Depending on terrain also, it could be painful if you constantly drop on to your chest :P I remember cursing Dolphin Divers in Battlefield 2 xD (jumping and then "lying down" in midair :P)

Unless you take that extra time to use your arms, etc. to drop down in a more controlled fashion, you're going to be able to bring up your marker to fire more quickly just standing/crouching.

Mind you people do all sorts of slides/dives in speedball I have yet to try (though much of my field is hardpacked dirt/small rocks so probably for the best).
Plus since I run a remote I would be worried about that in one of those maneuvers.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 02 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

#4 User is offline   esperto96 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:esperto96

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

View PostHOUND1, on Mar 2 2010, 12:35 PM, said:

This is kind of an offshoot of the "Going Prone" thread from the saber area. When people were discussing being prone in paintball games, it brought to mind a popular video game tactic, the drop-shot, a technique in which you immediatly throw yourself to the ground in a prone position and begin firing if you encounter and opponent in the open.

Now in all of my years paintballing, I have only drop-shot once, but it was very effective. Does anyone else do this a lot?

I've done it depending on the terrain. If I'm going through waist high shrubs, bushes, undergrowth, etc then it gives you immediate and effective cover by just dropping. However, depending on where/when contact was made it can severely limit your return fire capability.

If it's tall enough for crouching I might do that instead and find it much easier to return fire also. Otherwise from the prone, I can crawl to a fire lane in the shrubs or to another location to pop up and return fire from another angle.

I don't go prone and open fire in open ground. I'll crouch and sprint to better cover. Whether I return fire while moving to said cover depends on whether I'm playing with ammo conservation in mind or not (ie playing pump, tac-cap, or pocket hopper).

#5 User is offline   randomness 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:randomness

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

View PostTenacious221, on Mar 2 2010, 01:05 PM, said:

*facepalm*

LOL...I never considered doing this for paintball...I would prefer to be able to maneuver instead of locking myself to a position.

If the underbrush were thick enough, I'd consider it. But just in a field or cleared area, no way :dodgy:

-Tenacious

Agreed... I dont think the average person has enough athleticism to pull this move off. I think I will stick to my cover and concealment, thank you very much!
"I do as I please, ... , and believe me, what I do is always well done..." - The Count of Monte Cristo

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Nope. Don't and won't. I drop when I'm taking fire, and that's it. I don't low-crawl. I don't hide. When defending, I will sit in a defensive position. When attacking I don't generally stop moving unless I have been pinned down. I do crouch some.

The only time I'm on my belly or back is when being any farther from the ground would result in my elimination.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   Eros 

• Super Serious Absurdist
  • Pip

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

It takes me too long to get up from a complete drop. Plus, it's extremely hard on your joints.

I think you're better off roadie running than dropping.
Stand before the gates and watch metropolis, empires come and go we live forever.
And eternity is in your hidden eyes, take my broken wings teach me to fly again.
Down the empty streets head for the seven hills, vestal virgins dance, we steal the fire.
Battered columns stand as silent monuments, deep inside their dreams I see your memories.
I stand alone, we stand alone.
We Stand Alone ~ Covenant

#8 User is offline   C-F0uR 

• You exist because we allow it; you will end because we demand it
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:C-F0uR

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Our backyard woodsball field is relatively small and lacks sufficient cover to do a drop-shot. As cool as it would be to actually master, the only time it would be really useful to me is if it were 1 on 1.
Markers Owned: 32 Degrees Icon X (Sold) | Tippmann A5 (Sold) | Tippmann X7 serial no. 036020 (Sold) | Tippmann TPX serial no. 009351 | Soon to have Planet Eclipse Etek3
PS3 ID: Sk8ergamer
Home field: Zwackerz Paintball, VA
My Feedback

#9 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Did that once, wehn I tripped and fired on accident. lol
Id rather run to cover like a demon than fall on my chest when im recovering from a bruised sternum
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#10 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:28 AM

I do it constantly, and I don't know what y'all are whining about!

You need cover to survive an encounter. If you don't have cover, you better make yourself a really little target!
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#11 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

I've only done it once and that was when I had flanked to the other team's left and there were weeds up to my knees. I just got under the knee-high weeds and didn't fire at all so they wouldn't find me, so technically it wasn't drop-shooting.
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#12 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

In Harrisburg, a lot of fields are hilly and full of brush and tall grass, fallen trees, therefore I use this a lot actually. You drop down and they might not see you behind a hill or stump, bush, etc. You just need to know how to fall right, as dumb as it sounds. Belly flop and you're gonna wind yourself, no wonder you can't get back up. Displace your weight and fall closer to an angle, though, and you can avoid a lot of damage from that damned thing we call gravity.

It's also something I do if I get ambushed from behind; drop, turn around mid drop, and pick your shot. It only ever really worked twice, though, usually they're good enough to get the first hit on you. Once it bounced, the other it missed completely, and I got the elimination on their butts. So nyeh.

did I die for a second there?...

#13 User is offline   BlackLight Z 

• Fast Mover Tactical Shooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLC_Zone

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

I almost never go prone for two reasons; 1) proximity to the opposition means that if any kind of an angle is gained on you while you are prone at the very least a foot, calf, thigh our butt will be exposed out fron behind cover. 2) once the angle is gained it is very hard to adjust and get yourself adequately behind cover and return fire at the same time.

Bottom line, when I see someone go prone I move for the angle on them. They are an easy out in my book.
Z aka Zone
BlackLight Company Member
There's no charge for awesomeness!!!

#14 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

I do drop and shoot commonly. Primarily only when I know I can use some of the natural terrain to my favor though. True open ground I prefer to dance with the other shooter.

I am skinny so I really need very little cover to help in surprize encounters like described above, so many times droping down utilizes clumps of bushes and grass just long enough for me to survive the encounter. Then I am up and on the move again even if I know there are more folks out there.

I really like to use every advantage I can...so crawling (belly or knee), duck walking, dropping prone to cover are all very much used in routine my play.
But to be honest...half tht time my ending up on the ground during a shoot out is accidental when I trip going for real cover. Soetimes the bottom of a ditch is a long way down, but pretty good cover while you figure out what went wrong!

#15 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

I don't know what most of you are talking about as far as prone goes, I find that it offers those willing to get dirty an extreme advantage. I routinely crawl through bushes, trenches, and tall grass. I use it especially if there is a small hill or ridge between me and the other team, because getting low allows you to move in the "sight shadow" of the ridge.

As for the drop-shot, I haven't really had another situation to try it, but maybe at this weekend's Big Game! :laugh::tup:
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users