• You cannot reply to this topic

Blackleaf Outfitter's Ban-Du Head-covering review

#1 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

Okay, while some of you marvel and ask "what the heck is a ban-thingy?" Let me explain.

A ban-du is a mix between a bandanna/sandanna and a du-rag. It fits to your head like a du-rag, but is of the same material as a bandanna, covers the back of your neck like a sandanna, and unlike any of the others, it has nice think cotton headband to whick away sweat.

Some others will recognize the ban-du and ask, "Didn't shartley make these?" Yes he did, and still does. He just changed his company name to Blackleaf Outfitters. Most of us who know of the ban-dus are in the CPPA, which is why I'm assuming most of you haven't heard of a ban-du or even of Sam Hartley (shartley as he's known across the net).

Anyway, I've always wanted one of these, but never got around to ordering one. Anyway, with the upcoming SuperShowdown scenario game, and me taking on the major role of Catman, I couldn't simply use my normal head-gear under my mask (a reversed TTM ballcap....has worked well for me for YEARS), and I was sick and tired of taking painful forehead shots to the adjustment buckle on my cap, and in general I wanted something different that would also keep my neck from burning (doesn't bother me any more, but some of my friends....especially the ones of the female gender, have been getting on me about being so laid back about sunburn, so this is a minor effort in appeasement), and would mop up the brow sweat before it reached my mask or through the mask into my eyes (no fogging probs here in AZ, it's just annoying to have the stuff drip from your brow down into your mask padding and getting swampy-padding feel, or getting through and into your eyes and irritating you).

So, I emailed Sam a while back asking about his ban-dus. He emailed me back and said that he was still making ban-dus (he hadn't been for a while last I'd heard), but hadn't gotten that part of his site fully updated yet. He told me the price was $15 plus $5 shipping. Nice deal for an item I'd seen before and liked the looks of, and that had gotten such great ratings from those who own ban-dus. The nicer thing is that Sam's business is in the business of customization. If he can get the fabric you want for it, with the pattern you want, he'll make a ban-du for you using it. Not sure if it costs extra, but the thing is that this item is QUALITY.

I got my ban-du in the mail this past Tuesday. I didn't get a real chance to use it until today when I went over to a friend's house to help her clean up the outside. I was out in the AZ sun ALL DAY pulling weeds, liberally spraying herbacide everywhere, raking up grass clippings in the backyard, etc. It was a good day and a great opportunity to help out a dear friend. I wore my underarmour skull cap on my head, and over that I put on my new Ban-Du.

This thing ROCKS! The headband was damp after the day was done, but only barely, and trust me, I sweated ALOT in the direct heat. The material was light enough that air moved over it easilly and still cooled my head. The back part hanging down covered my neck well and I now have just a simple nice tanned neck instead of an angry red, roasted neck. Now, the color of my ban-du is all black. That's not a problem with me, though I did feel the heat radiating through it today. However, it did what I wanted it to. It absorbed the sweat from my brow; it kept the back of my neck from burning; it allowed air through on my head to keep it cool; and it was very VERY comfortable and looked freakin' awesome.

I don't have pics (none of us who came to help brought a camera), but Sam has pics on his website. Here's the link to the ban-du's: http://www.blackleaf....com/bandu.html

My rating for this is 10/10. This is a VERY comfortable piece of clothing, looks killer sweet, it is very effective for what it is designed to do, and the price is very VERY reasonable. Heck, I will probably still be using this even when I play pball in the winter. It's that good. I'm HIGHLY satisfied with my purchase, and not just b/c of all the good things said about Sam and his business, but because I put it to use and to the test today and it performed above and beyond.

Sam, if you're reading this, I give this two enthusiastic thumbs up.
PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#2 User is offline   shartley 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:08 AM

View PostSir Brass, on Jul 29 2006, 09:38 PM, said:

Okay, while some of you marvel and ask "what the heck is a ban-thingy?" Let me explain.

A ban-du is a mix between a bandanna/sandanna and a du-rag. It fits to your head like a du-rag, but is of the same material as a bandanna, covers the back of your neck like a sandanna, and unlike any of the others, it has nice think cotton headband to whick away sweat.

Some others will recognize the ban-du and ask, "Didn't shartley make these?" Yes he did, and still does. He just changed his company name to Blackleaf Outfitters. Most of us who know of the ban-dus are in the CPPA, which is why I'm assuming most of you haven't heard of a ban-du or even of Sam Hartley (shartley as he's known across the net).

Anyway, I've always wanted one of these, but never got around to ordering one. Anyway, with the upcoming SuperShowdown scenario game, and me taking on the major role of Catman, I couldn't simply use my normal head-gear under my mask (a reversed TTM ballcap....has worked well for me for YEARS), and I was sick and tired of taking painful forehead shots to the adjustment buckle on my cap, and in general I wanted something different that would also keep my neck from burning (doesn't bother me any more, but some of my friends....especially the ones of the female gender, have been getting on me about being so laid back about sunburn, so this is a minor effort in appeasement), and would mop up the brow sweat before it reached my mask or through the mask into my eyes (no fogging probs here in AZ, it's just annoying to have the stuff drip from your brow down into your mask padding and getting swampy-padding feel, or getting through and into your eyes and irritating you).

So, I emailed Sam a while back asking about his ban-dus. He emailed me back and said that he was still making ban-dus (he hadn't been for a while last I'd heard), but hadn't gotten that part of his site fully updated yet. He told me the price was $15 plus $5 shipping. Nice deal for an item I'd seen before and liked the looks of, and that had gotten such great ratings from those who own ban-dus. The nicer thing is that Sam's business is in the business of customization. If he can get the fabric you want for it, with the pattern you want, he'll make a ban-du for you using it. Not sure if it costs extra, but the thing is that this item is QUALITY.

I got my ban-du in the mail this past Tuesday. I didn't get a real chance to use it until today when I went over to a friend's house to help her clean up the outside. I was out in the AZ sun ALL DAY pulling weeds, liberally spraying herbacide everywhere, raking up grass clippings in the backyard, etc. It was a good day and a great opportunity to help out a dear friend. I wore my underarmour skull cap on my head, and over that I put on my new Ban-Du.

This thing ROCKS! The headband was damp after the day was done, but only barely, and trust me, I sweated ALOT in the direct heat. The material was light enough that air moved over it easilly and still cooled my head. The back part hanging down covered my neck well and I now have just a simple nice tanned neck instead of an angry red, roasted neck. Now, the color of my ban-du is all black. That's not a problem with me, though I did feel the heat radiating through it today. However, it did what I wanted it to. It absorbed the sweat from my brow; it kept the back of my neck from burning; it allowed air through on my head to keep it cool; and it was very VERY comfortable and looked freakin' awesome.

I don't have pics (none of us who came to help brought a camera), but Sam has pics on his website. Here's the link to the ban-du's: http://www.blackleaf....com/bandu.html

My rating for this is 10/10. This is a VERY comfortable piece of clothing, looks killer sweet, it is very effective for what it is designed to do, and the price is very VERY reasonable. Heck, I will probably still be using this even when I play pball in the winter. It's that good. I'm HIGHLY satisfied with my purchase, and not just b/c of all the good things said about Sam and his business, but because I put it to use and to the test today and it performed above and beyond.

Sam, if you're reading this, I give this two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Thank you for the review. And I am very happy you like your ban-du. I now offer multicam as well as ACU (coming this week).
“It is easier to blow out a match than it is to control a forest fire.” - Me
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
IPB Image

#3 User is offline   shartley 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:30 AM

These are still for sale and I thank those who have continued to use Blackleaf Outfitters for their headwrap and other needs. For quick reference here is a picture of a genuine Mulitcam Ban-du:
Posted Image

An ACU Ban-du:
Posted Image

.. and a woodland Ban-du.
Posted Image

But they come in even more designs than those! :laugh: Feel free to stop in and take a look.

http://www.blackleafoutfitters.com

This post has been edited by shartley: 01 August 2007 - 04:31 AM

IPB Image

#4 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:33 AM

I need a multi-cam one. Sadly, I lost my black ban-du a few months ago (didn't complain as the summer pball arena in Phoenix plays before the sun really gets fierce....aka, early in the AM), but with my team getting multi-cam for our uniforms, I want a multi-cam bandu :).

Sam, I'll be emailing you after I get my next paycheck (this friday) :).
PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#5 User is offline   cap4life 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

I have a Blackleaf Outfitters Ban-Du. Quality is top notch and the price is great too. If you are looking for something to cover your head during a game and you don't want to wear a hat this is what you want. Get one. You won't be disappointed. www.blackleafoutfitters.com

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Epcnor 

• StaticLine
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Static Line

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

OUTSTANDING PRODUCT. Get u one today!
OberstLeutnant, CO TF Heydte
German 6th FJR, OK D-Day, 2009

Member, Hellions ODA 163
Member, A.R.E.S. El Paso Chapter
Member, MACDEV Militia

#7 User is offline   RPGDAWG 

• Ride Or Die Son
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

I concur.. These are an outstanding product and very well made. Hartley does a super job with these.. very worth the price. get one yesterday!

#8 User is offline   andrew h 

• death is on the wind...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*shadow*

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

im gunna get one if i can get my dad to let me, i owe him a lot of money.
so a bush shot you?...
...fear the sniper

official sniper #23
play here! -> http://www.forestfirepb.com/

#9 User is offline   shartley 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. :ghillie: