• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

Referee's priority's.

1. Safety, safety, safety.
A. Field
If one player/Ref isn't being safe on AND off the field, NO ONE is safe at all. The Ref's primary job is to make sure that everyone, (Including Refs AND players) is safe. [If another Ref is causing an unsafe situation, see part 4 below]

2. Rules and regulations.
Every Ref on and off the field must KNOW the rules of the field inside and out and MUST inforce them without weakness or uncertanity. When a Ref makes a call, he/she MUST know that they're following/enforcing the regulations of the field. Doing this, will avoid all the unpleasentries of arguing and bickering with players or Refs in the future. [If you are uncertain if you or other Refs are aware of certain rules, call for a quick Ref huddle to clarify the specifics with all the Refs. Doing so will make all of you as one body and mind, so not to gender strifes among yourselves]

3. Co-operation with your fellow Refs.
The ONLY way to maintain control of the games and players in a positive light, is to have EVERY Ref on and off the field to be in total agreement on the rules and regulations. The most important aspect of this angle is that you MUST ALWAYS (not maybe, almost always or sometimes) be unified in your calls in the presence of players/customers.
NEVER EVER confront another Ref in view or earshot of any players. It makes all of the Refs look like children fighting over who gets to play the XboX first. Once you've set that image for yourselves, you'll have little, or no authority at all.

EXAMPLE:
A new Ref calls a player out for splatter smaller than the size of a quarter. The 'hit' player comes to you and complains that he wasn't hit and explains in detail exactly what happened.
You response should be;

"I'm sorry sir, if a Referee called you hit, I'm afraid that's final, all in accordance with our rules here at **Insert field name here**. I'll be sure to approach the Ref after the game and take care of any problems."

Once the game ends, approach the new Ref in PRIVATE and ask for his side of the story. If he was in the wrong, explain why, and how to avoid further problems of similar origin.

4. Player's/customer's needs/cares/concerns.
It is imperative that we keep our Player's/customer's needs at heart. Not doing so will result in you or others being out of a job.
Let me put it this way;
When a player comes to a field for the first time, there are three things they ALWAYS remember:
A. Prices. The cost of one day of play.
B. The field's awesomeness/sweetness/even-ness/cool-ness OR lack thereof.............
C. YOUR customer service, and overall attitude.

The order of the above will very from player to player, for me; C. B. A. for you it could be B. A. C..
The point here is,
there's nothing you, as a Ref can do to make the field more 'awesome' in the thirty minutes you have to get ready for the day ahead.
Likewise,
there's nothing you as a Ref can do to make the cost smaller for the consumer.

BUT,
YOU are in fact, the one of the BIGGEST factors that desides weather or not the player will return again.

A Referee is a form of authority.
To the player, you have power to make or break their day of play, by making good calls, bad calls or by not calling anything at all.

***You have the power to be a friendly big brother who gives pointers before and after the game to the younger players, OR be a big scary bully.
***You can treat older players with the respect that they [think] they're entitled to, OR tick them off by not giving them respect and send them home telling everyone they know that your field reeks of hot garbage.
***You may respond to questions with; "Yes sir." and "No sir.", OR you can answer with; "Whatever.", "I don't care.", "I'm not in charge.", "So?" or "Beats me.".

You see where I'm going with this?

Just by your speech, facial expressions and overall character you can not only impress your players, but give them REALLY good reasons to return another day.

I really, really REALLY want some more stuff to add to this. If anyone would like to post their thoughts on what a Referee's priorities, code of conduct, creed, what-have-you should be, PLEASE post up.

God Bless,
Doc

This post has been edited by Dr. Wiggy: 06 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#2 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

GREAT post!

I've been thinking about all of that lately as I've had some very bad experiences at the local field where I play and ref.

"Catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

We have some refs that just don't "get it." One is VERY confrontational with players. He singled out one player so much the player lost his cool and actually shot that ref. (deliberately, after the game was over)

Sure, shooting the ref is BAAAAAD. I wouldn't go so far as to say "he had it coming" but it wasn't surprising it happened: the player had been practically harassed all night.

There are people who escalate situations and those who diffuse them.
Refs need to be the latter - ALWAYS.

The consequence of not doing so is players will bail on the field ultimately leaving that ref unemployed.

I'm glad I don't make a living reffing because I'd be royally pooched having co-workers who drove my clients away.

EDIT: I'm completely ignoring the #1 priority: safety. Without that, insurance underwriters will shut fields down pretty-darn quick. Most or all the fields I visit are at least safe. Beyond that, service is the biggest issue.

This post has been edited by C.J.: 07 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

#3 User is offline   lethal intensions 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethal intensions

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

good post
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

#4 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Very good code to have. I believe in safety first and foremost, with the players having fun a very close second. And you, as a ref, can help the field be awesome cool and whatnot. This involves you going out to check the field in advance to make sure that bunkers are in good repair, boundries are still clearly marked, and such. Also, making sure that the staging area is clean and ready for the players to do what they need to do. But I honestly can not argue what anything that you have posted here, and if you don't mind, I would like to print this off for my boss to maybe show to other refs, with the hopes of increasing our own image and customer satisifaction.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#5 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, safety first but working with your other refs is key. If you start calling eachother out on the field than the players will loose faith in your ability to controll the situation.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#6 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

and if you don't mind, I would like to print this off for my boss to maybe show to other refs, with the hopes of increasing our own image and customer satisifaction.

Just so long as you don't copywright it against me............... :rolleyes:

Where are the REST of your thoughts gentlemen? :P

:alien:
God Bless,
Doc

Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

#7 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Sticky?

I would like to add in a part about "Always do the right thing"

While a ref should always make sure the players are having fun and enjoying themselves but a ref should never be afraid to do what’s right. If a player is breaking field rules correct them respectfully and teach them how to correct their mistakes. Yet if the player will not correct their actions, you must take action. Don't be afraid to sit a player out a couple of games, punch their card, or take actions along these lines. As mentioned above its your job to ensure other players have a SAFE and FUN time. If the player will not listen to you, ask them to leave, and if they still want to call problems ask the field manager what to do.

Remember if someone is endangering the safety of everyone do not hesitate to ask for help whether that be another ref, manager, owner, or in a drastic case the police.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#8 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

View PostDr. Wiggy, on Mar 5 2007, 03:33 PM, said:

Referee's priority's.

1. Safety, safety, safety.
A. Field
If one player/Ref isn't being safe on AND off the field, NO ONE is safe at all. The Ref's primary job is to make sure that everyone, (Including Refs AND players) is safe. [If another Ref is causing an unsafe situation, see part 5 below]

Oh yeah, part 5?

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#9 User is offline   Redlight 

• When the going gets tough, the tough go in!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Redlight

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with organized paintball, but the one thing that drives me nuts in other competative sports is inconsistant reffing!

Many of my good friends ref hockey at a high level and they try to explain why inconsistancies happen. The reason is "even up" oportunities. These are the "I didn't see it happen, but I know it did, so I let the other team get away with the same thing" This just leads to escalation of the incident.

Don't let those happen! If you see someone doing something outside the rules, call it immediately. This will allow the players to know that they will not get away with anything and the consistancy is maintained.

I guess what I am trying to say is "Be consistant to all players and call what you see!"

Have a great day!

Rick
A Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an Emergency on mine!
Visit My Feedback The Whiteboard - confusing non players since 2002
Firefighter Close Calls Visit My Brigade Page

#10 User is offline   Wakewarrior7 

• The one and only
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wakewarrior7

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

So the way to sum up the post in a single phrase would be: Keep is safe, keep it fair, keep it fun. If you are doing those three things, the rest is being done.

For example if you are keeping it safe, you are in communication w/ other ref's, making sure everyone is following the rules (both game and safety), and looking for unsafe situations.

Keep if fair, the teams are divided evenly, consistant calls are being made.

Keep is fun, that one is a no brainer, if the other 2 are being followed and paint is not a problem, fun should be an easy one.
IPB Image
Wake will you have my baby? - DavidP1013
High End Marker People (H.E.M.P.) Member 007

#11 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

Oh yeah, part 5?

*Fixed*

As for your post Wakewarrior6 and a half.....

Yes,
you're right, it IS that simple.

But,

then why are bad Refs such a HUGE problem at fields?

I'm a blunt person, so I'll make it even more simple:

"People are stupid."

and

"There are three kinds of people in the world;

The ignorant,
the arrogant
and the well informed."

And I'm afraid that the $value$ of 'common sense' (Yes, pun intended) has been dropping like a rock for the past hundred years or so.
As such, MOST of the people I'm dealing with here are going to fall in one of the first two catogories, unfortunatly.......

I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're RIGHT!
I'm just implying that my reasoning behind writing this was to inform the ignorant and the arrogant.

Which by the way,
should be everyone's goal in life.

God Bless you all,
Doc

Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

#12 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

i officaly declare this sticky material.....
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#13 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

Where's Da Rav?

I was hopeing he would have something to add to this.

God Bless,
Doc

Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

#14 User is offline   Mars 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:05 AM

Good post Dr. Wiggy, as always.

#15 User is offline   Wakewarrior7 

• The one and only
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wakewarrior7

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

I will add to your "people are stupid" with: "People are Corrupt." We all know what I am talking about. Ref's play favorites at many games. Look at how it was back in the day of tourny play. Teams reffed other teams. Favorites were there. Besides favorites they would do what they could to help themselves.

Now, we still have our refs of today who don't cheat players because they are being paid, we have ref's that want to get on a team, or think they are better than the people there. The big point is, ref's just don't seemingly care as much as they used to. Kids are getting paid in field fees and paint and don't take pride in what they are doing. when the sport starts picking up ref's who know their role and follow it, then the sport as a whole will mature.
IPB Image
Wake will you have my baby? - DavidP1013
High End Marker People (H.E.M.P.) Member 007

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users