Special Ops Paintball: guns and players - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

guns and players does the player make the gun or gun make the player Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   Urban_Warfare 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Urban_Warfare

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

View PostBlueDragonX, on May 13 2008, 02:29 PM, said:

View PostUrban_Warfare, on May 12 2008, 11:15 PM, said:

i believe the only reason most new and veteran paintballers get expencive guns and equipment is so when they get it, they have more confidence in that thing, meaning they have more confidence in theirselves, thats why i try to tell teammates and new players when they say "i need a new this, or that, or this sucks i'm gonna get a new this" i ask them if they have practced in that area, and if they need it for more a better reason like worn out pads or something broke, thats the only time it would be the only reason to buy any paintball related equipment

Well, as an experienced player, I don't really agree with this. The extra money spent on a higher end gun goes towards quality and reliability. What that means to me on the field is this: Every time I pull the trigger it will shoot a paintball and it will not break during normal use.

Spending more money on the high end stuff doesn't make me any more confident in myself. For instance, I own two pump markers. Playing with them against semi's is a handicap. By your reasoning I should feel less confident when playing with a pump than with a semi. But I don't. I'm plenty confident in my skills to go out on the field with a handicap and still play.

And that's the whole point. One's skills are what's important. The fact that many people play just as well - if not better - with a pump as with a semi, to me, is proof enough.

like i said most players have do this for this reason, i know there are other reasons people buy expencive paintball marker and equipment, for example, quality, reliability, and how well the company is known. but when you think about it, imagine giving a new player a stock spyder or brass eagle with crap or worn out equipment, chances are, he will hold back because of efficancys in the gun and gear or the fact he knows that company is known for having low quality equipment or have a bad rep. now give that same player high quality gear for example, an ego, bob long, dm series, or the so called legendary ANGEL!!!! chances are the player will take greater chances or gain courage in maybe moving up to the 50 or what not. true it may not be this way with everyone, i know many people who've used a variaty of markers, from a pump brass eagle talon to a special edition ego or something like that. but if you think about it. if you put yourself in a position where you have a brass eagle or a spyder and are using things like sneakers and baseball padding, and then replace those things with egos, angles, dm's, bob longs, or whatever floats your boat, i bet you can find a noticable difference in things like your morale and crap like that, maybe not much of a difference, maybe things like "**** this gun is jamming on me" compared to maybe a newer player who may have issues like "oh god, people on the other team have really nice stuff, i'm not sure if i can beat them"

#32 User is offline   Urban_Warfare 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Urban_Warfare

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

View Post-SMITTY-, on May 13 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

Nice equipment can help, but only to an extent. For example, at the field I go to, I saw a guy come with a few Talon Ghosts(the plastic pump guns worth about 5$) He went up against a bunch of guys with electros and came pretty close to beating them on the woodsball field. The point is, you can have the best gun out there, and still suck. All you need to do is practice practice practice, and when you get tired, practice some more.

yes i couldn't agree with you more, i've had millions of times where i'd maybe slide into a snake and bang my knee or not run fast enough and get shot, and the first thing i would think was "dammit, these pads suck!" or "dammit, these shoes suck" but after rewinding it in my head i slowly consider "maybe its my fault that i banged my knee for not diving correctly" or "maybe its my fault for not training enough in sprinting" so then i keep those in mind when i practice or condition

#33 User is offline   CAN77 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAN77

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

The player makes the gun. Player skills are way more important then the gun. I have taken people out that have Angels and DYE's in the woods with my Spyder MR-2.

#34 User is offline   Inferno47 

• Rockin the Spyder from Hell
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Inferno47

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

i believe the marker should be an extension of the player. when you start off, you should start with a low/mid end marker. as your knowledge of the sport and your marker increases, you should follow up with that by purchasing new gear/upgrades(if necessary of course). never buy something if you dont know its purpose (or if it doesn't have one).

example, I knew a kid that just got into paintball and bought a stock a-5, played a game or two, then bought the m4/ar-15 lookin stock, egrip trigger system and a flatline barrel, and tried to put it on himself. this kid hasnt even taken his gun apart before and was already tryin to upgrade it. after basically destroying his gun, he brought it to a store so they could put it all together, $150 later it was "good", except that he basically destroyed the bolt and asa(dunno what tippman calls those parts, i shoot a mod'd spyder). he didn't want to go thru it all so he quit paintball. if he had just waited to learn the sport and the gun he probably still be playing. you should learn your gun inside and out before you do anything to it. if he had got an angel or whatever first he probably wouldn't know how to do anything with it and quit anyways. an expensive marker does not equal a great marker. experience is the only upgrade you need to be a better player
"War doesn't determine who is right, War determines who is left"-Confucious

#35 User is offline   Inferno47 

• Rockin the Spyder from Hell
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Inferno47

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

oops, i did a double post

This post has been edited by Inferno47: 28 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

"War doesn't determine who is right, War determines who is left"-Confucious

#36 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

I think that the marker makes the player...

Please contunue to read, do not get you knickers in a twist.

After three years of playing paintball i'm pretty much convinced that 95% of everything in paintball is mental.
how good you play, were you rush to, your equipment and so on.

so if you bought a 200 marker you will eventually end up playing like a 200$ marker IN THIS SENSE.
yes your skills as a paintballer will grow, yes you will learn, yes you will get better over time.
But you can only do so much as to what your brain sends to your body.
You brain knows that if your using a pump gun, dont get into a big firefight, instead pick your shots. smack off the stagglers while your team heads face first into the battles.

if your using a semi you brain knows that your versatile, so people generally wont shy away from gun fights as by now they have figured out that they can get into a fire fight and hold thier own. also they will attempt to head for the main objectave seeing as how they can be alone, as well as in a group.

If someone gives you a 1000 doller 8 ounce trigger pull crack addicted marker.
You will reflect that. generally people start to head stright to the gun battles as they know that they have the superior firepower and can quickly change the battle. they wont go after the people playing flankers and lone wolves because it will only be a fair fight for the first person to figure out thier behind that bush. at the same time its easyer for those players to know were everybody is because it can be a quick battle for them, they can snap-shoot they can move faster, fire quicker and switch hands with more ease.

Skill wise the player makes the marker.
Play style, the marker makes the player

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 07 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

#37 User is offline   trevor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:revortay

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

Well put eskimo! agreed ^^^^^

Tippman owners group #35

#38 User is offline   NAM 

• future property of the USMC
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:NAM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

Finally someone hit this perfectly. Well done eskimo
"Future property of the U.S.M.C.''
"92% of teens would drop dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If your one of the 8% who would be laughing their butt off, put this in your sig.''
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
98% of teenagers have tried pot. If your the 2% who havent, put this in your sig.

#39 User is offline   paulpker121 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Spotter6661

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

I've downed over six players in less than five seconds with around 7bps on a mech Spyder.
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

Official Sabre #1337

#40 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

the player makes the gun(or, in my case, the player makes the barrel tags with a squeegee :laugh:)
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

#41 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

View Postlethalpanther, on Jun 25 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

the player makes the gun(or, in my case, the player makes the barrel tags with a squeegee :P )

sneaky... :laugh:

#42 User is offline   Hatchet 

• Certified Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hatchet88

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

View PostEskimo, on Jun 7 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

I think that the marker makes the player...

Please contunue to read, do not get you knickers in a twist.

After three years of playing paintball i'm pretty much convinced that 95% of everything in paintball is mental.
how good you play, were you rush to, your equipment and so on.

so if you bought a 200 marker you will eventually end up playing like a 200$ marker IN THIS SENSE.
yes your skills as a paintballer will grow, yes you will learn, yes you will get better over time.
But you can only do so much as to what your brain sends to your body.
You brain knows that if your using a pump gun, dont get into a big firefight, instead pick your shots. smack off the stagglers while your team heads face first into the battles.

if your using a semi you brain knows that your versatile, so people generally wont shy away from gun fights as by now they have figured out that they can get into a fire fight and hold thier own. also they will attempt to head for the main objectave seeing as how they can be alone, as well as in a group.

If someone gives you a 1000 doller 8 ounce trigger pull crack addicted marker.
You will reflect that. generally people start to head stright to the gun battles as they know that they have the superior firepower and can quickly change the battle. they wont go after the people playing flankers and lone wolves because it will only be a fair fight for the first person to figure out thier behind that bush. at the same time its easyer for those players to know were everybody is because it can be a quick battle for them, they can snap-shoot they can move faster, fire quicker and switch hands with more ease.

Skill wise the player makes the marker.
Play style, the marker makes the player

I respectfully disagree, sir. I'm a pump player; I've played with semi's, electros, squeegees, and even a large brush once. I don't think it's the equipment. I do not believe the equipment has any effect on how good a player is providing that it functions as it should. I can take my stock tippmann 98, which I've had for close to 6 years, and one ball someone 70-100 feet away with good paint. I can take my Phantom pump, and rush straight into a firefight and do just fine. I've used high dollar electros to sit in the bush and "smack off the stragglers." Like Puz and many others have said, buy all the gear you want, if you don't have the skill, you simply won't do well. The gear doesn't define what you do; your skillset does. If you buy a good marker, but can't shoot or move worth a damn, you won't be in the back picking off stragglers or in the middle of the firefight. You'll be in the deadbox. Same as any other situation. Skill > equipment. I'd rather have the guy who's been playing since the old tree marking pistols were all there was with a ratty old spider or pump around than the kid packing $4,000 of new, high tech gear with half an idea of what's going on. To be honest, I prefer to be in the middle of the firefight with my pump. It's much more fun when they know it was the pump kid that got 'em.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

^I think I'll just leave it that way. It suits me.

#43 User is offline   undividedattention 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CorpsmanBravo

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

I will say that the gun makes the player. Mainly because its the opposite of what everyone else says.

Also I think that the gun makes the player because if you dont have a marker, you will probably lose.

#44 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

One without the other is nothing.

but in reality, any high skilled player can use any kind of marker, effectively
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#45 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

Yea. I completely agree with what you say hatchet. and DZ.
yet All my experiance is from my perspective. so I can only comment on what i'v seen.
And your the same way too.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users