• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D-Day Oklahoma Germans Win !!!! Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

I love hearing about all the cheating, bad tempers, and general issues at dday. I love hearing how one side only won because they cheated, or the game was somehow rigged in their favor. I love seeing all this crap plastered all over forums online. really, i do. :dry:

...wonder if it's too late to get a refund.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#122 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

then don't listen to the bull plop and talk about how much fun you actually had and how much fun the game actually was. Just because some thought that one side won because of cheating, doesn't mean it happened. Sure it happens but not on a scale that would effect the entire outcome of a game. Rigging of a game? Germans are supposed to have the upper hand, the allies are invading german controlled normandy, it's supposed to be a hard fight. If thats whats being reffered to as rigging? So all in all just talk about how awesome this game was win or lose, not about how someone screwed up or about how you think one side cheated or being a sore loser ( or winner). What happens when someone new reads this in hopes to going to d-day? Will they go? Think about it before you post I guess...

#123 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

View PostPhobeus, on Jun 24 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

then don't listen to the bull plop and talk about how much fun you actually had and how much fun the game actually was. Just because some thought that one side won because of cheating, doesn't mean it happened. Sure it happens but not on a scale that would effect the entire outcome of a game. Rigging of a game? Germans are supposed to have the upper hand, the allies are invading german controlled normandy, it's supposed to be a hard fight. If thats whats being reffered to as rigging? So all in all just talk about how awesome this game was win or lose, not about how someone screwed up or about how you think one side cheated or being a sore loser ( or winner). What happens when someone new reads this in hopes to going to d-day? Will they go? Think about it before you post I guess...

that's my point. I've played for years, I now that excuses are gonna pop up as soon as a winner is declared, the losers are gonna make excuses, and whatnot.

it is disheartening to hear of rampages on other people's property, of things being stolen, of gear being sabotaged, and of general BUTT TOQUEtery that wouldn't fly in any game, much less should even be seen at an event this size and of this notoriety.

It happened last year, it happened the year before that, it'll happen next year, I have no doubt, regardless of who wins or loses. I think that people need to wake up though, and realise that the bickering after the game about who cheated whom or who did what to whom is turning players who would otherwise love to attend these games away. In as far as not listening, yeah, i hear you. like i said earlier, I'm a realist, I know it'll happen, and can tune it out. however, i think that you guys, especially the 'command echelon' of the Dday game, need to either keep it amongst yourselves when you're going back and forth with crap, or, better yet, not do it.

#124 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:30 PM

IMO, any cheating out there did not effect the final outcome of the game.

As for everything else... there seems to be two types of players going to D-Day. One type takes this game way too seriously, and if their side of choice does/doesn't get the desired effect for some plan/strategy, it must be because <list grievance of choice here>. If you lost a battle in the day, it was because of <complaint>. If you won, you're just that crazy good. Finally, these types take the game off the field and into the camping area/staging area.

These types irritate me. They are no different or better than the "speedball players" people bash all the time (in reality, many speedball players are far nicer and have more fun than this group at D-Day).

Then there's the second type - the paintball player out to play in one of the largest games in the world. They're there for a good time, a good laugh, and friendly competition. Win or lose, they're having fun.

Where there things I have complaints about? Yes, but I (for the most part) took them to my regiment/division leaders so they could pass it along to the staff through the proper channels.

Where there logistical problems with paint/air? Yes there were, but the Germans had a lot of those problems too. It was far from one-sided.

[/rant] [/soapbox]

I had mixed feelings about the game during the day, from complete frustration to enjoying myself playing paintball. Despite the bad, I'll take the good I found anyday. Ethrealwolf, I hope you will be able to do the same.

See you guys in '09,
Member of Team Akkadian

#125 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

oh, i will. I'll be going, but I think I'mma limit my time on forums discussing the game, just to not get disheartened and say forget it.

#126 User is offline   BASHBRO1 

• BASHBRO1
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BASHBRO1

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

I have said it before and I will say it again. D-Day was an absolute blast. COming from ND and being used to a large game being 8 on 8. The sheer volume of paint in the air is something you can't get anywhere else. Its awe-inspiring. Me and a group of guys snuck up behind enemy lines with this awesome plan to wipe out a whole group of guys. We succeded but when the rest of of several hundred players we didn't get seen us there was a wall of paint. I actually had to quit shooting. It was amazing. At the distance we were at it wasn't like being bonus-balled but just watching a hundred markers all firing at you is something thats scary and yet scary awesome.

Not to mention the people you meet. I had a guy lend me a $200 air tank for the day since I was running CO2 with no DL# cash nothing. Just cuz I was on his team he lent it to me. I had a nearby camp group from West Virginia I had almost every meal with. A couple parents, their boys and friends. A great group of players and friends. A week long event is the only way to really get to know people like that and thats what camping and paintball is all about.

All in all I reccomend to anyone to come play at D-Day. Yes its my first large scenario so maybe there are better games out there. But I doubt there are many that are bigger. And in the end doesn't size matter :wub:

BASHBRO1
"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb"
Dark Helmet

#127 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

View PostBASHBRO1, on Jun 24 2008, 11:10 PM, said:

All in all I reccomend to anyone to come play at D-Day. Yes its my first large scenario so maybe there are better games out there. But I doubt there are many that are bigger. And in the end doesn't size matter :ninja:

I've been to several, and as far as non-mission based scenarios go, D-Day is one of the better ones.
Member of Team Akkadian

#128 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

Heres a story:

It was tbe night game near the end (the Kommandoes are about to take the church) I was in a bunker in front of the chuch. Anyway, from my bunker I heard someone yell "German!" from inside of the church and suddenly the church erupted with paintball hits both inside and out. Then, suddenly silence....then the entirety of the allies in the church come out the front door. Save one. This player is still in and he comes bounding into the other side of my bunker. (It was one of those tetrahedrine, you know the trinangle with the other triangle attached) so he gets into the other side and theres one of those horizantal cylinders in between. So I reach over point my barrel at his mask "Unit!?" I said. Then and paintball smashes near me bounceing off my head. I reel back, the next thing I know i'm staring down his barrel, he yells "Unit!" as I did (but a little more desperatly) "Rangers" I respond. Horn Sounds, game over! Turns out he was 82nd. What an end.

#129 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

thats intense! I probably would have shot him without asking just to make sure! lol! Man... I hate night games, unless I've got my flash light (15million candle power) and my brother!

#130 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

I don't think we were aloud flashlights, and the one on my SP-1 wasn't working. So ahhh...

#131 User is offline   MOUTH 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

Here, time for some more inspirational tales. Etherealwolf, this one's for you:

GeneralMajor Zeke and I set up the staging area for Panzerkorps Artillery under large circus tent at the edge of the Panzerjager Camping Area. By Monday evening, we had 15 artillery pieces stashed under that tent in varying degrees of completion, all running full tilt boogie to get the last of it assembled and painted by game day, and there were more arriving every day!

Thankfully, we had a lot of help from Panzerjagers camped nearby and the use of the strangely unclaimed circus tent was ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE in the heavy rains that lasted all week. We waited all week for its rightful owners to show up, and we remained prepared to clear out and let them have it if they ever did. Without use of the tent, and all the helpful PJs, there was a large amount of artillery that never would have gotten finished in time to put it to use on the field. We kept our fingers crossed in hopes that we wouldn't get run out and even as we asked around, we still couldn't find anyone that would claim ownership of that circus tent.

Two very helpful Panzerjagers come to mind - A pair of young guys from New Zealand, who pitched their tent right beside the big unclaimed circus tent we'd more or less taken over for artillery construction. They helped us night and day, whenever we asked, and frequently we found them tinkering on artillery without any direction or assistance at all - simply working hard and taking the initiative to get it done.

By the end of the week, we shook hands and parted company with our new friends from New Zealand, the strangely unclaimed circus tent still packed to the rafters with German Artillery.

Only as they were packing up to leave and many laughs were being shared around piles of big guns did we find out that the circus tent we'd used ALL WEEK wasn't exactly unclaimed... It belonged to the guys from New Zealand and they'd been kind enough to let us set up shop in it, completely taking it over without saying a word or uttering any complaint in the slightest!

They just wanted to help, and if the use of the circus tent was good for the cause... Well it just didn't bother them any.

You couldn't have asked for a better tempered, more helpful bunch of guys. THANK YOU NEW ZEALANDERS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I'm thinking about all the wonderful volunteer help we had in getting the last of the German Artillery finished, another person comes to mind. He called himself Butch, and he'd come to Oklahoma D-Day not to play, but to bring his sons so THEY could play.

So, while his teenage sons were out having the time of their lives, Butch found himself quietly back at camp looking for things to occupy his time. Poor Butch wandered over to the Artillery prep area under that big circus tent. He offered his services, and we were more then happy to take him up on it.

Butch jumped into it with both feet and before you knew it, he was an official Artillery Building Underpants Gnome, ripping away with screwgun and saw for days on end. We talked to Butch as some length about coming out and playing with us on Saturday and he would just chuckle and smile and remind us he was just here for his boys. So we left it at that.

But it would appear that the paintball fever finally caught up to Butch during the week. After all his protests that he didn't really want to play and that he was just here so his sons could come to D-Day... you'll never guess who I ran into, all geared up, drenched in sweat, and grinning from ear to ear in the Airfield Deadzone near midday.

There stood Butch, in full gear with that twitchy battle-lust in his eyes. It just goes to show, you can't hang around a bunch of diehard paintballers for a week and not get pulled into the game. It was absolutely great to see another new player take the field with us. It was doubly sweet to see that it was Butch, who'd worked his tail off to help us finish up our artillery.

There's a thousand stories like these. Hell, I could go on for days just relating stories of wonderful players and people without ever getting off the subject of all the guys that helped us get the artillery prepped!

Here's to a thousand more next year!

Carry On.

This post has been edited by MOUTH: 25 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

Oberführer Clay "MOUTH" Sanger
OKDDAY German Army
Grenadier, Jagverbande Normandie - German 709th Infanterie Division, Utah Beach

www.ddayadventurepark.com
www.axiscommand.org
EMAIL MOUTH - CLICK HERE

#132 User is offline   Hawk1216 

• Gunwhore
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hawk1216

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:17 AM

Greetings all from the Allied 2nd Armor, 502 MP.

Though I haven't read through the entire post, I did scan enough to see some talk of cheating. First and foremost, D-Day was a GREAT time, and 95% of individuals from each side certainly deserves their accolades for playing fairly and with good sportsmanship.

Although, I must say, I did notice a large amount of wiping going on on the Axis side. Mind you all, this is coming from a neutral perspective, as this was my first year there, I honestly did not care whatsoever who won the game itself. On top of not caring, roughly half-way through, I partially fell down a ravine near the airfield, and decided to stop playing. Luckily, a command vehicle came by and gave me a lift, and instead of heading back to camp, allowed me to gun for roughly 4 hours till the game's end.

During this time in the tank, which was spent mostly just driving around after being destroyed, I observed the massive battle in Coleville. During my time on the allied side, I saw a few try to play on after hits, a couple wipes, but nothing -too- major. (Most of the time, if I had a chance, I told them they were out and not to wipe.)

Unfortunately, my touring of the Axis lines were much less honest. I -continuously- viewed wiping and playing on, and even saw several individuals leaving as if they were hit, wiping off the hit a few hundred feet back, and returning to the fight without ever entering a deadzone; much less nearing one. I personally am very displeased with many of the Axis soldiers, as well as the Allied soldiers who I did indeed see do such deeds.

One case in point, as a tank gunner, we drove to the Axis side of Coleville, I fired upon a small cluster of individuals and nailed them quite well, they rose, ran to the side with obvious breaks, stopped in the forest, waited till we past (even though I could see them), and returned to the fight instantly. Pitiful.

Again, it was an excellent time, and there was much honor and sportsmanship from both sides, but there was no denying the obvious differences in the playerbase of each side. I hope next year, the Ref's may make an effort to stop wiping, even though I know it is insanely difficult to do so: I never saw a single ref do -anything- about wiping or playing on, which is a very bad side of D-Day.

But, to lighten the mood:

Meeting folks outside the game was absolutely a blast! I met so many off several different paintball forums I surf, and I couldn't believe what some of you looked like. Thank you for this opportunity D-Day, and I cannot wait for next year.
Special Ops +39/-0
PBnation +8/-0
E-bay +77/-0

#133 User is offline   MOUTH 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hawk1216,

Being your first time to D-Day as you say, I can tell you this after having spent many years in this game as a Game Official and the last couple as a German Officer:

There is NO difference between the two sides with regard to their propensity for wiping, playing-on, or your other basic forms of unsporstmanlike cheating.

Statements such as "...but there was no denying the obvious differences in the playerbase of each side..." are kind of silly. I'm not going to bust your chops, but I can tell you your point of view from a gunner's seat on one tank gives you a tiny little window on the game. It's like trying to watch 15 NFL football games simultaneously through a drinking straw.

I can assure you and everybody else in the world, there is an equal distribution of cheaters scattered across both sides, just like there are at any game. Nature of the sport.

I've x-ed an equal proportion of Blue and Red Hopper Covers over the years. I've kicked an equal number of Red and Blue cheaters off the field over the years. For the record, the Game Coordinator and his head officials upped the ante this year in response to cheating... In the past, warnings used to be issued.

They nolonger issue warnings. Jeremy and crew were confiscating hopper covers and sending players back to camp whenever they were caught cheating. To also say the Refs do nothing about cheating, but that's just how it is at D-Day in your first year at this game is also kind of beyond your practical experience.

But no, Hawk1216, no particular side or unit has a monopoly on cheating.

More importantly, no particular side or unit has a monopoly on honesty, fair and honorable play, tought and talented players, and heart for the game.

We do this every year (YOUR side / unit were bigger cheaters than MY side / unit) and its unrealistic to expect it won't continue to happen every year. So take it for what its worth.

For Hawk and everybody that absoltuely must trot out the wiping/cheating/playing-on pony - I'm not cracking on your heads for doing so, none of us like cheating and we've all spoken out against it in the past at some point...

But think about it before you jump on the broken-record-bandwagon.

Some people cheat at paintball games. This is a fact of life.

If you're mystified by it, all I can tell you is welcome to paintball - don't let the 5% ruin for the other 95%.

Carry On.
Oberführer Clay "MOUTH" Sanger
OKDDAY German Army
Grenadier, Jagverbande Normandie - German 709th Infanterie Division, Utah Beach

www.ddayadventurepark.com
www.axiscommand.org
EMAIL MOUTH - CLICK HERE

#134 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, in my travels around the field, I saw an embarrassing amount of people on both sides doing the whole 'instant reinforce' bit, where they wander back a hundred yards and then just head back in with the nearest mob.

#135 User is offline   Hawk1216 

• Gunwhore
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hawk1216

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Thank you for the excellent reply MOUTH!

In regards to 'there was no denying' statement, I should have amended that to say, 'I could not deny'; as that is what I actually meant.

I was simply reviewing the event from my standpoint, and though I still stand behind my thoughts regarding the differences between the sides in regards to wiping, I absolutely agree with you 100% that it is part of the game, that both sides had plenty of honorable players, and that I only saw a small portion of the game.

I'm certainly not mystified, I am used to the sport, I just expected a few more ref's out there, and quite a few more players being X'd on an event such as this.

Nonetheless, can't wait for next year. :panzer:
Special Ops +39/-0
PBnation +8/-0
E-bay +77/-0

Share this topic:

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic