• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Mask/Anti-fogging need to get a new mask high FoV low Fog Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Raven 5 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

I'm looking for the best mask I can find that incorporates a very good anti-fog system that does not require a fan (fans make noise, noise is bad).
I also need the biggest field of vision I can get. I've seen the Brass Eagle 280 degree FoV mask but I hear bad things about fogging.

Also any tricks to keep goggles from fogging would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

You can find more responses in the actual mask section of the forums

Anyways, the one thing I completely recommend is a true thermal lens. In my opinion nothing provides better production than a true dual pane thermal lens. A lot of manufacturers like VForce only sell single pane lenses but market them as "anti-fog" or "thermal cured". It's not the same thing.

I personally like both JT's Spectra lineup as well as Vents' lineup of masks. JT Spectra are pretty much all thermal these days and Vents mask I believe are sold with both a single and thermal lens. The spectra lens offers 260 degree vision, I'm sure Vents also offers a wide view. The human eye can see a maximum of 180 degrees without moving your head. The extra is there to account for the eye relief, and the mask not being perfectly straight on your head.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

I've heard just as many fogging stories about the "dual pane" lenses as I have about the "thermocured". Usually by the time either of them start to fog it's time for a new lense anyways - many players suggest a new lense every year or two, depends on how many shots you take to the lense. That's not a bad idea when lenses can be found fairly cheap (I got my new one for this year for $13 shipped here on the forums). I've read where some players say that the thermocuring can "wear" off after a while, even though V-force says it integrated into the lense during manufacturing rather than just a coating. I've also read where a number of owners of the dual pane lenses had theirs come apart, the adhesive that holds the seal between the lenses breaks down and allows air/moisture in between the dual lenses. Once that happens it's over for that lense, regardless of how old it is. I've read where you are only supposed to wipe the lenses, or run them under water to clean them rather than submerging them - many of the times, as I remember it, this was the reason for the adhesive going bad.

For the record, I have a Profiler w/ the "thermocured" lense. I had some minor edge fogging last February while playing in the snow, I replaced the 2 year old lense the next week - not a problem since. That is the only time I've ever had fog.

Basically, you have to get a thermal lense. Which mask is up to you, try them on first if possible because it has to be comfortable on you. Then pick the mask you like regardless of which kind of "thermo" the lense is because you'll always have guys on either side telling you one way or the other.

EDIT: Fan noise issue. They really aren't that loud, only to the user because it's close to you. Someone else won't be able to hear them from more than a few feet away. Most guys usually only turn them on then off as needed to eliminate any fog they have rather than running them constantly. I've personally never needed a fan, just speaking from other guys experiences.

This post has been edited by ger: 05 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#4 User is offline   Seizureman 

• Designated Idiot
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seizureman

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Thermals are good, just make sure to take good care of the seal to help them last longer.
I've got a JT Spectra Thermal, it was around $50. Good mask, good price too. You can find thermals in a few different styles of masks fairly cheap.

To help prevent fogging, control your breathing.

Cant have a Shameless Quote if they won't tell me what it is...
401 BP

#5 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

You can put clear unscented antipersprant around your eyes and nose. Alot of the time the fogging on the inside is caused by the parts of your face inside the goggles sweating.

#6 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

One thing that you can do to make your lenses not fog is to either but some anti-fog spray and put that on the mask or make some yourself. There is a formula for the spray its water to no cry baby shampoo. the ratio that you can use is 1:1 or you can use 1:2. I have not tried this yet but once my bottle runes out i will be because it is a lot cheaper than buying the spray.
04 RX8 is my baby

#7 User is offline   Sneaky Sir 

• Studyin' my pump-fu
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sneaky Sir

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

One mask that I've had great success with is the vForce Profilers or Grillz. Yes, there are better masks out there, but for the price, its a very good investment. They have an excellent field of vision, and good anti-fog protection. They are also very confortable IMO.

#8 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Goldenhand

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

Grills have bloody lip syndrome though.

I love I3s. I'd say either some Dye I3 pros or some E-vents. Impossible to fog the I3s, I've tried wicked hard lol.

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#9 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

View PostGoldenhand, on May 6 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

I love I3s. I'd say either some Dye I3 pros or some E-vents. Impossible to fog the I3s, I've tried wicked hard lol.

If its above 70 and i dont have my fan in i have no problems fogging up my i3 pros. With the fan they never fog and because of the fan design its extremly quiet to everyone around you.

#10 User is offline   Sneaky Sir 

• Studyin' my pump-fu
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sneaky Sir

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

View Postsplntercell, on May 6 2008, 05:53 PM, said:

View PostGoldenhand, on May 6 2008, 06:07 PM, said:

If its above 70 and i dont have my fan in i have no problems fogging up my i3 pros. With the fan they never fog and because of the fan design its extremly quiet to everyone around you.

Yea I've heard good things about the i3 pros, but I haven't gotten around to trying them out later.

But one reason I would still recommend the Grillz is if you have a small face and like a tighter fitting mask, like me, but I swear by my profilers more

#11 User is offline   Darkstar1117 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SpeedSabre

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

V-force profilers. GREAT fov, absolutely no fog. i even held my pair over a steam vent and no foggage. also look at v-force sheilds and v-force morphs. they all use the same lens the only difference is the other materials used to make them. the morph and sheild are the less expensive items, but the profilers are the best.- :P

This post has been edited by Darkstar1117: 16 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

#12 User is offline   Hyperion 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hyperion

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

"true thermal" dual pane lenses are not the best at all... I have had so many issues with fogging on a dual pane lens it isn't funny and these were new lenses... numerous times... I eventually bought a VForce profiler and I found the single pane coated lens to be a much better design because it doesn't allow fog to form on it period... I played in everything from cold as hell weather to wet, damp, humid, or just all out downpour weather without having my profiler fog. Granted it is time for a new mask and I may try out something from DYE or Empire's line... I am not too sure yet... I may just say to hell with it and buy one of each mask to form my own opinion of what one I like best... seems like the smartest thing to do in my mind...

#13 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

there are occasions when even the best thermal lense configuration will fog. Typically, I try to augment such a system with 200ft Viz. Its an antifog treatment that is applied to the inner side of the lense. In my opinion, its very effective. I use this product regularly, especially when I consider the conditions..
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#14 User is offline   ravenleader 

• Kicking butt... one game at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Co

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

hey dude,

i own a proto switch mask, and I love it. in all types of weather it has yet to fog up. get some thermal lenses to along with it. theyre so easy to change out and overall its really inexpensive.

for about $35.

#15 User is offline   General Biggles 

• The Horde Consumes... And You're Next.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:General Biggles

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

PROFILERS FTW!
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users