• This topic is locked

Aerial Reconnaissance C172 for Aerial Reconnaissance

#1 User is offline   Scrogges 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SCROGGES

Post icon  Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

Ok so we have a 4-seater Cessna 172. We could have 1 pilot, 1 co-pilot and 2 back-seaters functioning as either a photographer and spotter for structure sighting. Or have the 2 back seaters have walkie-talkies and communicate w/the ground forces. This might only be useful for large scale Scenario games but it might function with smaller ones too. IDK but this is a concept so have some constructive critisicm and suggestions :dodgy:
Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Shalendar 

• The kittens of my bone marrow are pleased
  • PipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Or you mount double trouble a5's on the sides and turn it into an assault vehicle! :dodgy:

"thats my goal, get sigged by everybody on the forums" - Spades -- "who knows when I'll need a barrel in my ASA?" - MIR Sniper
3 types of people in the world: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. I am a Sheepdog. -- My feedback (+3/-0)

#3 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

I'm sure you could do it, seeing that you have the plane. But not everyone can afford to have a plane come into games. Also, alot of structures are played in the woods, so you can't see movement, bunkers ect. And I'm pretty sure this belongs in the Scenario Positions part of the forum too ;)
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#4 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:49 AM

This might be okay for recon to a guy on the ground with a radio, but past that, nothing.

This post has been edited by Ecellg: 28 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#5 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

Been done, Allies '08 D-Day

#6 User is offline   itsalive2 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:snipait

Post icon  Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

This is just me but why use a real airpland for recon when you could use a model. I mean I have a couple model airplanes that are like 200 bucks ea.They have cameras made for them. OR you could use a model or real helicopter. I mean helicopters can hover which is good fo recon. Ive also seen a remote control helicopter( i forgot the website) that had a camera and an auto cocker on it. How sweet would that be!

#7 User is offline   Marek 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

its called a UAV
just spend $200 on that, will save you a lot of cash in fuel

#8 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

explain to me why you would do this? The model helicopter/plane sounds better. Less dangerous I guess but a real plane or helicopter flying around a field of kids shooting paintball guns just doesnt exactly seem safe. What field is going to allow this? I know elite weekend and DDay did this but where I'm from most scenario games are pulling in maybe 500+/- people. Average. That's not nearly the scale of DDay. But anyways, getting back on topic...why would you drop paint grenades from that height too...a 16oz paint grenade dropping from at least 500 ft is going to have some serious impact on whatever it hits. Just doesn't seem safe. I know its a concept but I'd say go with a model plane or helicopter and have it use a camera and thats all...nothing in the air should shoot or drop anything on players.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#9 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

RC Helicopters and Planes can do a whole lot of damage too.

It's better to stay away. D-Day has the size for it, your games probably don't.

#10 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

UHHHH- just a little reality check here...

1. You'll have a really hard time finding a field owner who would let a model plane/chopper, much less a real one be used for recon in even a big scenario game. I've done chopper drops/extractions and even some door gunning in games over the years, and it is always really difficult to arrange/execute. I've seen advertised "helo missions" and "parajumpers" in games get cancelled more than anything.

2. Why, you may ask? You run into massive insurance and legal liability issues, so that's why you don't see it all that often or it gets chucked. The problems that could arise from having a plane flying low over a field and obtaining clearance and tower control for such an effort would be difficult to coordinate, and of course, worst case is you have a plane with 4 people crash into many more on the ground.

3. Don't even get me started on the hazards of dropping balls/grenades from 500+ feet. OUCH! Even enough water dropped from a sufficient height can injure someone on the ground.

4. Paintball fields (good ones, anyway) carry a good bit of insurance that isn't cheap, and many insurance comapnies wouldn't cover them for some of the above ideas or would require a huge payment to extend the coverage. I mean, we've got places out there that won't allow full-auto, nerf/grenade launchers, mines, smoke, etc. and it's not 'cause they don't like us, it's insurance/legal issues.

I think it would be great if we could have more games with live air recon and insertions, "U.A.V.s" and paratroops and all the cool mil-sim stuff that makes big games and scenarios fun, but the reality is that it's not usually possible beacause of money. When folks get hurt, they sue- even if you sign a waiver- and most owners don't want to risk losing everything they own for a model plane or real helicopter.

Don't mean to pee in anyone's cheerios here, just stating some nasty truths.
That said, doesn't mean we should stop trying to push the envelope...

This post has been edited by Violator: 28 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#11 User is offline   OP4delta 

• Squad Commando
  • PipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

walk the field...most structures are permanent...you can find where they are beforehand...you cant see most troop movements from the air anyways

this is really useful in R/L, when the area where recon is needed is massive, but paintball is a much smaller scale...D-day, maybe, but i think it was more for effect.

I like the r/c idea though

#12 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

I believe there are FAA regulations about flying over a highly populated area at specific altitudes, I know this includes football games etc. Someone wiser than myself needs to answer when (how many people is the cut off limit?) said regulations become applicable to a scenario and how they would effect the plane's flight path..

#13 User is offline   SkinWalk3r 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

View PostFlamingoChavez, on Sep 29 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

I believe there are FAA regulations about flying over a highly populated area at specific altitudes, I know this includes football games etc. Someone wiser than myself needs to answer when (how many people is the cut off limit?) said regulations become applicable to a scenario and how they would effect the plane's flight path..

this is CORRECT. I am PPL and IFR rated but not current. There ARE regs for this as well as dropping stuff out of airplanes ! AND if you are anywhere within ANY controlled airspace A - D.....you are going to have to get ATC clearance to circle over a specific location for a certain amount of time. Do us a favour and dont try this unless you just want to take a few pics. General aviation is having a hard enough time as it is with out having to add to general paranoia.

FAR
Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(:D Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

© Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (B) or © of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Sec. 91.15 - Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

This post has been edited by SkinWalk3r: 29 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

#14 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

can you say, "too much???" ... in theory it's a good idea.

#15 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

Im pretty sure although unsafe the real helicopter or plane is a better idea then a rc one. Think about someone flying one of those in the woods its hard enough to do on an open field let alone the woods. Plus paintball will be flying everywhere you will be wearing a mask and what if you get out or how does it get out are you out when it gets hit?
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users