Special Ops Paintball: Throat Mic Review - IXRadio XTM85R-G1 - Special Ops Paintball

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Throat Mic Review - IXRadio XTM85R-G1 Something better than FireFox?

#121 User is offline   spudcrazy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Spudcrazy

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

Well, I tried mine for the first time during real play this weekend. Myself, along with another teammate bought one. My other two team mates just used handheld comms. I got to say I was extremely dissappointed. My one teammate was well versed in throat mics, as he was spec ops while in the Army, so I doubt we were using it wrong. Communication was muffled at best, even after trying many different transducer locations. Audio was okay, when listening to the handheld comms. We are going to switch up for boom mics. However, one great feature that I wish I could find on a decent small boom mic was the small PTT. Putting it on a finger and pressing while firing was extremely efficient.

#122 User is offline   gtkid1 

• PONCH
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PONCH

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

you know spud, in many ways i totally agree with you, the feedback is great, but after a while you start having problems with the ougoing communication. What i tried was pushing the transducers closer to my pharynx which sorta worked better.

But in general these are way better when it comes to throat mics, it may not be no pro snipers, but their way better than the fox.

#123 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

I've noticed that throat mics dont work for everyone. It works pretty good for me, but a couple friends tried out my throat mic and it was a little muffled for one person, and came through clear as a bell for the other. I think it has to do with the muscles in the neck.

Something to try, which I may have forgotten to mention in my initial review, is to place the throat mic as HIGH as possible on your neck. If it sits at the base of your neck by your collarbone, the transducers pick up the resonance from your chest when you talk, which can lead to muffled transmissions.
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#124 User is offline   gtkid1 

• PONCH
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PONCH

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

ill try that sartek, thanks.

#125 User is offline   Stret 

• The Nativeness
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Stret

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

Ok, mine works!
I've had problems since I bought the sucker back in November. Then I actully had the scense to just now ask Sartek about it. Although the only different thing that I do is insted of only putting one transmiter close to your larnyx, I try to put both as close as possiable and it works. I sound a little congested and its not as loud, but it works! (Plus the rest of my team will have some type of ear peice so they'll hear me)
Native Style

We Think Our Sponsors Are Cool: Tippmann(X7) l Crossfire Tanks l Smokin' Products l Coca Cola: Grand Rapids, MI

#126 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ronin055

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

Now someone needs to do a review on the new model they JUST released. http://www.ixradio.c...ic_XTM880D4.htm

This thing looks tough. I think Im going to give it a try.

There are a couple of points that I think could be a problem, but the bonus's outweigh the hazzards I think.

One thing I love is the adjustable neck and the fact that you can choose your PTT button. So kinda cool. But all the changeable stuff kinda breeds the chance to fail. However on the other hand, if something fails you can always hook something else into it I guess.

What do you guys think?
Keven Cecil

Reno Pursuit Gamers Check out our Site for Northern Nevada paintball Games.

"Gun... Sword, we all die the same." Toshiro Mifune in Red Sun with Charles Bronson.

#127 User is offline   Fets25 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Fets25

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

I just bought an IX mic the other day. It really sucks that they just came out with a new one that I would have bought instead. Oh well - just kind of sucks. Hate when that happens.

#128 User is offline   S.S.Mario 

• A sniper is just a player on a budget. A Broadword isn't.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:S.S.MARIO

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

View PostRonin055, on Jun 9 2006, 07:25 AM, said:

Now someone needs to do a review on the new model they JUST released. http://www.ixradio.c...ic_XTM880D4.htm

This thing looks tough. I think Im going to give it a try.

There are a couple of points that I think could be a problem, but the bonus's outweigh the hazzards I think.

One thing I love is the adjustable neck and the fact that you can choose your PTT button. So kinda cool. But all the changeable stuff kinda breeds the chance to fail. However on the other hand, if something fails you can always hook something else into it I guess.

What do you guys think?

I ordered it last night, I think I may have been the first purchaser.... I refreshed the page and it was there :P
I'll make sure to put up a huge mega review as soon as I get it. Hell, I'll even try the extra jack with some Shure E2cs, for you guys!
I'm not worried about it failing, it looks like a brick to me.

#129 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

ah ya beat me to it !! Dang !

Im ordering one at the end of next week!! LoL
Keven Cecil

"Gun... Sword, we all die the same." Toshiro Mifune in Red Sun with Charles Bronson.

#130 User is offline   S.S.Mario 

• PipPip

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

I'll try to put up a review as soon as I get it. They say around 10 days though... so don't get your hopes up :D

Hopefully considering the reputation thusfar of IXRadio, it'll be pretty damn good.

#131 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

I just ordered mine today.. .. like 5 minutes ago. Im pretty excited to see what happens vrs my Fire-fox which will become a hold out extra or a loaner depending on how this one goes. Seeing as how Im a big guy and have a big neck, Im really excited about the adjustable sizing on the new model. Someone should have thought of that before. And then the changeable push to talk and the quick release. I dont know, its looking kinda cool, I just hope it preforms as well as it appears it will.

Even though other people will be posting reviews on this product, I will attempt to render an evaluation after our game on the 24th, as well.

Till then, enjoy !
Keven Cecil

#132 User is offline   Ronin055 

• Shootin' an' Scootin'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

ok so I ordered mine on the 14th and today I got an E-mail that looked like spam but wasnt. What it was was a notice that my throat mic had shipped.

Additionally there was a cool notice from IX in regards to a question that I asked them. I sent them an E-mail and asked if they had a connector that would work with cell phones. Their answer was that they dont, but that they were working on it and should have one by the end of the year. Hows that for super cool? I would love a throat mic for my cell phone!! Ill so get one if they get it figured out !

This company rocks ! Thanks Sartec for showing us this company !
Keven Cecil

#133 User is offline   Kommando 

• Be Quick Or Be Dead
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:21 AM

I'm going to get the D4, I will post a review up when it comes, now I just need to get the money for it. I was going to ghet the XTM85R after seeing this thread but an only now getting around to getting a throat mic

This post has been edited by Kommando: 17 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

IPB ImageThanks to Crab Heart for the sig
Russia's big and so is China - George W. Bush proving his intelligence (or lack of) yet again
"There is nothing quite as pathetic in the world as seeing somebody try to bunker another guy, whose got no balls" -Tyger, bunkering tip clip

#134 User is offline   S.S.Mario 

• PipPip

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

I recieved my mic on saturday (Ironically it got to my house while I was out... playing paintball :angry: )
I'll try to get a review up as soon as possible, but as far as first thoughts go...
It's nice! It's smaller than I thought it would be (Good thing) and so far just testing it the quality is top notch, both hearing other people and being heard. There are downsides, but they're small and i'll put them in the review.

At my first glance, it's a 5 star product.

#135 User is offline   spudcrazy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Spudcrazy

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

View Postsartek, on Jun 5 2006, 01:04 PM, said:

I've noticed that throat mics dont work for everyone.

Well, I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones :( . I tried with a teammate again this weekend. We play with it for over an hour and just couldn't get it to sound clear enough for me or my teammate. We know it must be our throat dynamics, as it does work on one of my teammates, but unfortunately, he has one of his own. Needless to say, if anyone's interest in one, just PM me. I have one that's never been used in the field. Bummer, I was really looking forward to using it. :D So for now, I've modified a boom mic to have a remote PTT.

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users