Special Ops Paintball: should specialops re-do the brigade officers test? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

should specialops re-do the brigade officers test? note: not trying to flame... Rate Topic: -----

Poll: should there be a new brigade officers test? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

do you think the brigade officers test should be rewriten?

1. yes (54 votes [72.00%])

Percentage of vote: 72.00%

2. no (21 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

did you run into questions that had multiple right answers?

1. yes (65 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. no (10 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

did you run into a question that was confusing or could have been clarified?

1. yes (65 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. no (10 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

did you run into a question that you feel you had the right answer mared wrong?

1. yes (58 votes [77.33%])

Percentage of vote: 77.33%

2. no (17 votes [22.67%])

Percentage of vote: 22.67%

did you feel like the test was poorly put together or poorly co-ordinated?

1. yes (25 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. no (50 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   weeebeep 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:weeebeep

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

note: not tryin to flame, just think this problem needs to be adressed.

ie: (imho) when crossing a large open area it is better to send fireteam-a (fireteam = 3-5 people) across the field while fireteam-b covers them rather than hammering the op-force up then sending your guys up. this is because, a: (imho) 4 guys with slow shooting markers still shoot more than one guy with a double t gatlin.
b: if you can do a thing quietly people are less likely to shoot at you.
c: if you have one guy shooting at everything suspicious people are gonna take pot-shots at him (or i would) and (imho) its not worth risking your saw/hammer (or anyone else on your side of the field for that matter)
d: when your finaly crossing (after hammering the op-force) people will take pot shots at you cuz your loud! (or again atleast i was (real event...))

please understand: im not tryin to diss specops (regurdless of how it sounds). i just think this is a problem that needs to be adressed and i dont know how else to take care of it.

edit: i just took the test again, and i got a 79 out of 100. i got a good number of the questions right this time, but the confusing questions still defeated me. seriously some of the spec-ops answers are (imho) dead wrong! i mean... forgive me for being a little blunt, but this problem still hasn't been fixed.

edit continued: Please Spec-Ops, fix this test! it has given me troubles the moment i took it. Also, if you review it alot of the stuf does seem like it was written by someone who was so hyped up on making the test that they forgot their answers lacked common sence and (more than that) maturity...

This post has been edited by weeebeep: 26 September 2007 - 07:28 PM

#2 User is offline   GUN SLINGER 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:GUN SLINGER

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

i think they should. some of the questions r kinda confusing
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without u would still have good men doing good things and evil men doing evil things. But for good men to do evil things... That takes Religion

#3 User is offline   paintballfrk 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

they need to rewrite it some questions werent clear

#4 User is offline   Haunted Hunter 

• Vanguard
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Haunted Hunter

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:49 PM

well, I guess it's ok for paintball. Taking a test doesn't make an officer. fun if you want to try it with the pretend rank system.

#5 User is offline   TheWraithe 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TheWraithe

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:33 PM

I think that some questions should be reviewed and rewritten, but most of them hed a good point and taught me something new, I did get frustrated on a couple questions but I also look forward to taking it again in 2 weeks.
----------------------------------------------------------
If your a Christian paintballer put this In your sig.

Chyea, it's a FA-MAS X7 Prototype!

#6 User is offline   wargames 

• Eat, sleep, bleed the paint
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WARGAMES

Post icon  Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:59 PM

[quote name='weeebeep' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:46 PM' post='1635570']
note: not tryin to flame, just think this problem needs to be adressed.

ie: (imho) when crossing a large open area it is better to send fireteam-a (fireteam = 3-5 people) across the field while fireteam-b covers them rather than hammering the op-force up then sending your guys up. this is because, a: (imho) 4 guys with slow shooting markers still shoot more than one guy with a double t gatlin.
b: if you can do a thing quietly people are less likely to shoot at you.
c: if you have one guy shooting at everything suspicious people are gonna take pot-shots at him (or i would) and (imho) its not worth risking your saw/hammer (or anyone else on your side of the field for that matter)
d: when your finaly crossing (after hammering the op-force) people will take pot shots at you cuz your loud! (or again atleast i was (real event...))

:PI know exactly where your coming from and I thought the exact thing for that question. The answer is a stealthier approach from another angle. A lot of the quests are questionable but SO is just trying to make thing interesting and its hard to do. a lot of the tactics are a little planned out so you can use the tac manual. Never the less, your right on.
amen of the FAMAS

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by wargames: 16 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

I am the Paintball Stig
Do not pain searching for identity, learn to live in your period of history as a human being.
Society accepts tyranny because it fears uncertainty.

#7 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

There were a few questions on the test that were more of a "Guess which answer specops thinks is right" kinda game. I think if they did end up redoing the test they should go for questions that only have ONE clear answer, and questions that aren't a matter of opinion. Of course the test wouldn't be complete without subtle marketing/brainwashing towards tippmann guns, but that's ok, I can get past that.

I think the main thing about the brigade, the ranks, the officers test that people don't remember is, it's all marketing strategy on specops end. It's all one grand scheme to sell more stuff...and I think it works rather well. They're not going to redo something that continues to get used, and continues to make them money...unless you could present the end result as something that would make them even MORE money.

#8 User is offline   DFRESH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

I think the idea of the officer test is awesome. However, I think it is not very wise to keep the same questions up everytime you take the test. It is rare to see a test and take it once, and then have the same questions if you take it again. It just makes it easier to cheat. SpecOps needs to develop different versions or questions for the people that take the officers' test more than once. At first, I wanted to pass the test to prove my ability and become an officer, but now I just don't care because anyone can be an officer with the same questions every time
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living. -Omar Bradley

#9 User is offline   Rev.Travis 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:31 AM

Iím not sure I agree,
This is just a fun thing to move up in the ranks its not like youíre a real officer, I took the teat and got 78% on my first try I didnít fully understand some of the questions (the ones I got wrong) and I too would disagree with a few of the answers but you will find that he who rights the test and grades it is right! To move up in the SpecOps ranks they want you to know how they want situations handled.

To the point of changing questions there is no point itís a pass fail test. If you wrote the answers down and used that the second time the SpecOps has done what it set out to do, bring you around to their doctrine.

I think this test is a neat little idea to get you thinking about commanding your team and its good that its not a roadblock cause if people couldnít move up or it was to hard they would leave and then, less members and less sales for SpecOps.

#10 User is offline   TAP AND SQUIRT 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TAP AND SQUIRT

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

oh come on trav I failed it my first time too...lol I passed it the second time after i had read a lot more of the special ops sight and some of the tactics that they have posted

so just keep trying ...lol

but i do aggre the the test needs to be clear
but i think it should be rewritten to change with the times and sould in corperated some of the other possible answers that are out there, some times the unorthodox tactics work better than the tried and true

This post has been edited by TAP AND SQUIRT: 10 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

#11 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

i agree that some of the questions were a bit too open ended or complex, BUT the hammer question mentioned earlier is actually true. you see, with a fortified position, there's bound to be plenty of opfor either sneaking or leaking out of the position, and a sneaky little task force will just get bogged down in a firefight once discovered. having someone like me shoot at it first will really sound the alarm, and either bring everyone back into the structure for cover, or send them "flanking". there is a reason i am so visible on the field... because i want to be. 99% of players who see me in an open field firing away will attempt to take me out, and ignore the other players. add the fact that i'm using apexes, i'm in no real danger of being taken out. even as slow as i might be, by the time it takes an opfor team to sound the alarm, and react, my squad is already crawling up the front door while i'm reloading. the key to it is speed. it takes ALOT longer to react to an attack than to sucessfully execute one. not to mention the fact that i have a range of around a football field at 30bps. i dont really have to eliminate anyone, just rattle their cages.

but i too agree that the questions need to be a bit more concise, and pointed. but THAT question about the hammer support is actually right.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#12 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

The point of the test is the same as your driver's test. Did you read the material? Then the test served its purpose.

I also think that the SpecOps Brigade is about marketing. However, so is this forum. Personally, I'm all for it. Not everything SpecOps says is law, but I think that they have genuinely tried to put together a usable resource in the guidebook and this forum. In the least, look at other PB companies and tell me if they have put out as much useful information....

I also have to admire the fact that despite repeated criticisms of their company on this forum, SpecOps hasn't just banhammered the naysayers. While most people on here seem to believe that SpecOps is a good company, most of those same people also think the rank system and positions descriptions are essentially bogus or at least not necessary.

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 15 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#13 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

^^ here here.

as for the marketing ploys that some think have been cooked up by specops, it's still a paintball business with a theme. they still need to create a little hype about themselves, and stuff like this only helps. but i can say that at least specops, and most forum members are good enough to remind folks that nothing specops says is the law. just suggestion. i think the positions are one of the greatest things to be thought up. it gives players something to identify with if they can't figure out what their most natural style of play is. i know i'm glad i found the hammers, because i wouldve gotten bored with the whole ghost flanker and regular broadsword thing ages ago. and c'mon, you know you'd miss me slinging my weight around here. :dodgy:
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#14 User is offline   SgtFoxy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SgtFoxy

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

One of the big problems with the test is that Spec Ops puts a lot of opinion stuff into their test. Like when they ask about strategy. They say that you should always leave defense. What if I am goin to do a large Flying V? I dont need defense, because I am creating a line of players. I agree with Sheriff Matt where he said it was more of "guess which answer Spec Ops wants" sort of thing. What they should do is create the test and leave the answer slot blank, then allow people who have demonstrated a fair amount of knowledge through this test to check other peoples tests for points in the Brigade

#15 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

But you're missing the point of the test....Yes, they want to test your knowledge of paintball, but they want to test your knowledge of THEIR STYLE of paintball. They want you to read their materials. Both of the reasons for this have been mentioned above.

Anyways it's their test, so it's their rules. One can either accept that, or move on.

My ONE criticism of the test is that some of the questions are very difficult to read. Basically, a few are too long and involved to be understood. They really need to either be re-written, or enhanced with diagrams.

As a school teacher, I have written a test or two in my tenure, and overall the test isn't bad, but could be improved.

I'd be willing to lend my expertise in trade for some cool goodies....:P
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users