Special Ops Paintball: Type of temporary sniper veil - - Request for input - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Type of temporary sniper veil - - Request for input For those time when a little more concealment will go a long way Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

Yeah- that's why I didn't suggest a Shemagh or anything else but the Brit veil, since it seemed to meet the things you were looking for. The rig that Bagheera put together is pretty sweet, too. What specifically about either veil idea doesn't work for you? You could also augment either veil with a few bits of A.G. or Leaf-o-flague, Bushrag, jute or other Ghille material, and it would still be pretty open/breathable. You'd be surprised at how well the veil works on it's own, though.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#17 User is offline   Gunney 

• Gunney
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Gunney1221

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

The reason that the brit veil doesn't work for me is because I've tried it out on the field with little to no success.

The set up that Bagheera has recommended looks great and would most likely give him the type of concealment that I’m looking for. But it’s not something that can put on and taken off at any point during a game. I’d have to set it up before I played and would not be able to remove it until I was able to disassemble my mask.

The slightly thicker mesh veil that I got from OPSGEAR when laid out flat on the floor is about a 2 ft x 3.5 ft rectangle and that ends up being way too much material
(even if it is mesh) to keep the heat and fog to a minimum.

I think that the best solution for my…I know, I know- extremely picky desire…is to purchase the spec ops ACTION GHILLIE II HOOD KIT and use the plain hood as a base to attach what best fits the area I play in and go from there.
GUNNEY - Gun runner for hire

YESHUA - In this name there is power

#18 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

That's cool- it is a good system. As I said, you could also basically do the same thing to the Brit one yourself with mesh like Bagheera used, and/or other Ghille materials. Even with the A.G. hood, I'd suggest you look at augmenting it with some materials that may better blend with your field environment. A real Ghille suit isn't done until the Operator adds on bits and pieces of the local flora, and rolls around like a dog to get it all covered in good stuff. :( It's like a living creature- ever changing and evolving to match the location where its being used.

Nothing wrong with being picky- after all it has to work for you in your conditions, otherwise why bother, right? I have played down in LA and AL, and I know how hot/humid it can get. So, keep cool.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#19 User is offline   Lobes 

• A transient formation of smaller particles.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lobes

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:32 AM

View PostGunney, on Feb 13 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

View PostMediocrityGetsYouPears, on Feb 13 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

I've found that a shemagh does the trick.

To any one who views and coments on this topic, please know that I live in southeast Louisiana wher the humidity stays at about 80% - 100% all year.

As a former Florida resident, I hear you. Covering the porting w/ anything, mesh included, in weather as sticky as what you've got will do nothing but create a rainstorm within your goggles. Fitting the criteria of both an easy, quck application, as well as having the ability to cover your mask (porting included) w/out acquiring a bad case of the fog is a tall order. I'd still suggest a shemagh, as it's not only cheap, but is able to be worn w/out covering the porting, & let's be real...it was created & currently worn by a culture that lives...in the desert. :D

#20 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

The desert is arid though. The best thing to do is to paint your mask and ghillie the ears of your mask to take the shape of your head away. You want to blend your head with your shoulders.

#21 User is offline   Bagheera 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bagheera

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the compliments. Here's some more info on my veil;

1) It isn't flat, it has dimension, thanks to the odd angle cuts I have done so that gravity pulls "leaves" out of it (think of cutting a medium sized upside down "V" in a piece of paper, and watch gravity pull it out.) I've also sewn in various bits of leftover veil at random angles to give a more leafy texture.

2) Those cuts leave big and little holes, not to mention the holes already in the mesh material itself, which are natural places to put the native foliage. To be honest, I'm not happy with the dark green that my particular veil is, so I may lighten it with some spray paint.

3) Paint your mask, even if it's a flat color green or tan, it would be better than black. No need to get fancy if you have a veil over it. I painted mine a psuedo-flecktarn with a handheld spray mask I made myself. Maybe I'll scan it and upload it so it can be printed out, cut and used by the general public.

4) The mesh material picks up the background color of whatever it's in front of, but throws shadows and light out of whack (a good thing), depending on how layered it is, how far the layers are from each other, and especially what sorts of leafy bits you have hanging in front of it. That's the benefit of a veil.

5) The veil doesn't need to be permanently attached to your mask like mine is. (I can remove the visor though so I just have the "beard' on my mask if I wish.) You can do a simple veil (not attached to anything) but follow the directions I have for random cuts and sewing bits of material back on it. If you notice, not even the edges of the veil are straight, they're all jagged and hang at random angles. Go a little nuts with the scissors, but watch your fingers!

The best thing about a mesh veil like the one you want to build (and that I will build for sure), is that even with a bunch of veil leafy bits sewn onto it, and having cuts at random angles, it's still easily stowable. I bought a second full veil that I'll be doing the same treatment to so that I can stow it in a dump pouch and have it ready to cover my body at a moment's notice. It also makes a great hide for up to two people if laid out horizontally, say, between some bushes.

WTB Tac-One Warp Right Body

"No such thing as a paintball sniper? I can see how you'd think that, but remember, just because you can't see us, doesn't mean we don't exist." - AnEchoSoldier

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users