• You cannot reply to this topic

Dog Leg Product Review New Products Review

#1 User is offline   Kamikaze 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

Background

I’ve been playing paintball for 4 years. I own two Tippmann A-5’s one stock (Flatline barrel, JCS offset, BSA red dot, stock, e-grip, and remote line) and one with the Spec Ops A5-A2 conversion (Flatline barrel, Lapco offset, BSA red dot, A5-A2 stock, e-grip, and remote line). I’m not into the whole mil-sym cosmetic look. It just adds weight I have to carry across the field. If a mod doesn’t add functionality it doesn’t go on my marker.

When I shoulder my markers I have two situations. With the stock marker, in order to see through the red dot, I have to mash my face against my mask. The other with the A5-A2 is similar but to a lesser extent due to the cut out on the stock for the mask.

Review - Spec Ops Dog Leg

The first impression of the Dog Leg was that it was rather ugly. Kind of like the ugly baby being pushed down the street in the stroller by adoring parents who are dying to receive complements on their progeny. You look in the stroller and the best thing you can come up with is “cute outfit”.

I took the Dog Leg home, fit it to my marker, and started shouldering it in the back yard. I then actually played with it.

The Dog Leg is a solution to the problem of proper sight alignment while wearing a mask. The off-set design of the stock allows a clear view over either the left or right hand sides of the marker without the mask touching the stock. The days of having to mash my mask against my face to see through the sights are gone.

The Dog Leg is tough, really tough. This is a solid, well thought out
design. The materials used and techniques used to manufacture it will keep it from bending or deforming except under the most abusive situations. The design is intended to be used with a remote. A macro line runs tightly around the inside of the stock to a quick release that exits on the bottom of the butt stock. The macro line is secured in place in multiple places to keep it from moving. The quick release fitting exits at the bottom of the stock at a 45 degree angle not the 90 degree angle found on every other stock on the market. This allows the remote line to flow easier to the tank. For just about everyone this design will work great.

After using the stock in its “stock” configuration for a few days I found that the configuration doesn’t work with how I like to carry my marker. For anyone else, carrying in a different configuration, the design is optimal, but for me I found that I need a different configuration.

I’ll explain. I like to be able to shoulder my marker quickly, with a minimum of effort, while using my COPS911 vest. This means that the bottom of the butt stock is parallel with the bottom of my arm pit. With the marker in this position and the 45 degree exit angle from the butt stock the remote line dug into my arm pit when the marker was hanging at my side. To correct this I took the off the macro line and put a 90 degree elbow in the first bend of the stock. My remote now attaches at the 90 degree fitting in the first bend. The remote line parallels the interior angle of the stock. With how generous the off set is there is no interference with my mask.

I’ve now shot over 4,000 rounds through the marker in the current configuration. With each and every round I was able to use my sights without any interference whether I was standing up, lying down, or peering
around a corner.

Spec Ops does “Mods that make sense”. This might qualify as an “ugly baby”, but it’s one that is functional and delivers on the promise.

I would recommend this as a “buy”. As a matter of fact, Spec Ops is going to have a hard time getting it back from me…Posted Image
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]

#2 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

Umm, erm yeah. Just have a question

Didnt special ops Just now release that product just a few hours ago so...How is it possible you got your hands on the product when there hasnt even been enough time to ship it to you?

I mean I got the e-mail at Aug 24, 2005 5:50 PM and your posting was at Aug 24 2005, 09:44 PM so how did you have this product and unload 4000 rounds in a manner of just a few hours?

#3 User is offline   Kamikaze 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

Dream of Nullification, on Aug 24 2005, 10:11 PM, said:

Umm, erm yeah. Just have a question

Didnt special ops Just now release that product just a few hours ago so...How is it possible you got your hands on the product when there hasnt even been enough time to ship it to you?

I mean I got the e-mail at Aug 24, 2005 5:50 PM and your posting was at Aug 24 2005, 09:44 PM so how did you have this product and unload 4000 rounds in a manner of just a few hours?

In short, I've been testing this out for them for about a month helping to work the kinks out and providing experiential feedback...

#4 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:31 PM

Might i ask how did you get to do something like that? I would of figured they would have had the people who own the company to test or atleast the admins/mods on these forums. Not trying to be insulting or anything but it shows you are not very active on these forums...Acualy it shows you havent even joined untill the 30th. Whats up with that?

Edit: sry it says 04 not 05 misread. but still...curious as to how you aquired such a position

This post has been edited by Dream of Nullification: 24 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

#5 User is offline   Kamikaze 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

Dream of Nullification, on Aug 24 2005, 10:31 PM, said:

Might i ask how did you get to do something like that? I would of figured they would have had the people who own the company to test or atleast the admins/mods on these forums. Not trying to be insulting or anything but it shows you are not very active on these forums...Acualy it shows you havent even joined untill the 30th. Whats up with that?

It's taken some work on my part. They've had folks that work for them test it out. I'm local. In fact I work less then 5 miles from their corporate headquarters. I've been "running and shooting" with their crew for over a year.

If you look at my member number it'll show that I was one of the first to join this forum when it was set up. While I haven't been that active in this forum of late, I am active in the A5OG forum as well as other forums and am very active in the paintball community in Utah.

No harm, no foul. :ph34r:

#6 User is offline   Ninja Jones 

• Canadian Intergalactic Space Ninja Pimp
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ninja Jones

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:46 PM

It's amazing, this is one of those things where you sit at the computer and think "damn, why didn't I think of that"... I'm still asking myself!

#7 User is offline   flagman 

• Now showing pointless orange boxs:
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:flagman

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:36 AM

......Special Ops is smarted than me mommy! :( , well jimmy, after you get a colledge degree, you migh be just as smart :D (like thats ever gonna happen)
"Pain is just Weakness leaving the Body"-USMC motto

"Peace is the Glorious moment when everyone stops to reload".

"Death is the solution to everything, no man, no problem"-Joesph Stalin

#8 User is offline   Fugu 

• Recon
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Xing Tao

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

It's definately a cool looking item.. though I had one thought when I looked at it.. why didn't they put an RVA on it? Just offset the macroline fitting and have the adjuster right at the plate.

#9 User is offline   Celt 

• ~IrishSniper247~
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Celt

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:38 PM

Posted Image

yeah so i posted my gun a while ago and got like 50 pms on ppl wanting to know if they could use the idea and then there were tons of posts bugging spec ops to make one like it so u could get a direct sight line.
then all of a sudden they get one.
yeah i guess this is it.
lil different then mine.

#10 Guest_bookworm_*

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

i think it's ugly as **** but it works, so BOO ON ME!!

if i ran a remote line in the piranah i use, it would have a great sight picture (this is a 16yr old pump piranah.) because the stock comes out of the bottom of the grip, runs a basically flat line to the bottom of the buttplate, and the rest of the stock is empty space for the air tank.

a lot like celt's except to the bottom of the buttplate, instead of the top.

#11 User is offline   TheGiant 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TheGiant

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Sorry, don't really buy the review. Stocks don't get that much in my way. I recommend a $30 raised rail.

-TheGiant

#12 User is offline   MacGyver 

• Triad Assault Group
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MacGyver

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:32 PM

TheGiant, on Aug 26 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

Sorry, don't really buy the review. Stocks don't get that much in my way. I recommend a $30 raised rail.

-TheGiant

The more you raise that rail the bigger target you are and the more you stick out from bunkers. I like the dog leg a lot! :)
Best regards,
Joshua
Team Triad

#13 User is offline   Dnice 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Dnice

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

Kamikaze, on Aug 24 2005, 08:44 PM, said:

When I shoulder my markers I have two situations. With the stock marker, in order to see through the red dot, I have to mash my face against my mask. The other with the A5-A2 is similar but to a lesser extent due to the cut out on the stock for the mask.

How much does your face mash with the Specops butt? Is it worth it to pay $90 for significant face mash? I play with a 98, and remote line, and I feel I can bring up my gun quick and sight well without a butt. However the air through stock looks attractive. Thoughts Kamikaze?

This post has been edited by Dnice: 16 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

#14 User is offline   Kamikaze 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

Dnice, on Sep 15 2005, 01:12 PM, said:

How much does your face mash with the Specops butt? Is it worth it to pay $90 for significant face mash? I play with a 98, and remote line, and I feel I can bring up my gun quick and sight well without a butt. However the air through stock looks attractive. Thoughts Kamikaze?

The face mash with the spec ops A2 stock is minimal compared to a normal stock. The dog leg works better then the A2 stock it just has a different look to it. It's all about function not cosmetics.

I don't have experience with a stocked 98. I only have A-5's. It is all about what your style of play is. Me, I like the rifle feel as opposed to the speedball feel. It just feels more comfortable, but personal preference factors are the big determiner. The dog leg stock is worth the money to get a little better sight alignment.

I'd go with the stocked marker. It's worth the investment.

#15 User is offline   Dnice 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Dnice

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

Thanks...I guess I'll wait for the 98 doglegs to come out then.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users