• You cannot reply to this topic

velocity Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   2002superhawk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:2002superhawk

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:26 PM

I have a mini mag that I've assembled from parts on ebay (franken-mag!) It currently has a field rental valve in it. I was able to drill out the restrictor. Earlier today I finished installing my level 10 kit.
My problem is that I couldn't seem to get the velocity below 300fps (measured with one of the little yellow hand held sensors.) I turned the velocity adjustment bolt out until the gun wouldn't fire anymore. Then, I screwed it back in. I fired 3-4 shots between adjustments. The velocity started around 309 and went as high as 320. I had to use CO2 to do the test firing, as my hpa tanks are currently being hydro'ed.
I'm hoping I have missed something simple. I'm still pretty new to mags, so its entirely possible I did/missed something very obvious.
Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

I like field rental mags... too bad you drilled it out :)

I wonder if that's my old valve...

Did you screw in the velocity adjuster slowly? One turn is a huge amount of change, typically.

#3 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

poo, didnt realize that this was an automag. sorry dude.

This post has been edited by florentine: 12 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#4 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

Take the valve halves apart, look at the regulator seat, reg pin, and the spring holding the reg pin, make sure they're in good condition and put in the correct way, especially the reg seat, which has two distinct sides.

Maybe your spring back needs grease/replacement, if those don't solve it

#5 User is offline   2002superhawk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

View Postaqua_scummm, on Mar 12 2008, 12:39 AM, said:

I like field rental mags... too bad you drilled it out :(

Did you screw in the velocity adjuster slowly? One turn is a huge amount of change, typically.

I don't think the valve I have was yours, aqua. I was lucky enough to have purchased this one brand new. it had been sitting in an automag non-powerfeed body (i think that's the right term. its a grey stainless body with a really long tube sticking out the right side) at someone's shop for an unknown length of time :D

sorry about drilling it out ;) I really wanted to use the level 10 kit. with that installed i couldnt get the velocity over 225-230. The folks at automags.org suggested that as a solution. It worked, sort of... but at least i'm getting closer to where I want it. ideally I'd be around 270-280 fps.

I was turning the velocity adjustment screw about 1/8 turn (maybe a 1/4 when particularly frustrated). I'd fire a few shots then re-check my speed. I was using co2. It was about 35-40 degrees F, my logic tells me the marker would normally shoot slower, unless I was getting liquid into the valve. I was shooting off a remote and shooting fairly slow. I wont rule out liquid in the valve, but I don't think thats what it was. I have another mag that refuses to work on co2, so I'm hoping thats all it is. The other one is a brand new classic valve from AGD.

One of my HPA tanks just came back, so I'll try that again. any other ideas? maybe the spring from the level 10 kit? I know it came with 3 different springs. I don't have the directions for it. im not sure what effect, if any, the springs have on speed. I'll try taking it apart and greasing/oiling everything. I'm pretty new to mags, and I've been very sporadic in playing paintball over the last three years. A lot of my tech skills have gone away, so I won't rule out something blatantly obvious also.

thanks for your input!

#6 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

Jeez that's how I got mine, a field rental mag sitting on a store owners shelf...

PM me who you got it from, if it was recent, please. I really want another. I have never gone level 10, so I'm not sure how to work that out.

View Post2002superhawk, on Mar 12 2008, 01:00 PM, said:

View Postaqua_scummm, on Mar 12 2008, 12:39 AM, said:

I like field rental mags... too bad you drilled it out :(

I don't think the valve I have was yours, aqua. I was lucky enough to have purchased this one brand new. it had been sitting in an automag non-powerfeed body (i think that's the right term. its a grey stainless body with a really long tube sticking out the right side) at someone's shop for an unknown length of time :D

sorry about drilling it out :panzer: I really wanted to use the level 10 kit. with that installed i couldnt get the velocity over 225-230. The folks at automags.org suggested that as a solution. It worked, sort of... but at least i'm getting closer to where I want it. ideally I'd be around 270-280 fps.

I was turning the velocity adjustment screw about 1/8 turn (maybe a 1/4 when particularly frustrated). I'd fire a few shots then re-check my speed. I was using co2. It was about 35-40 degrees F, my logic tells me the marker would normally shoot slower, unless I was getting liquid into the valve. I was shooting off a remote and shooting fairly slow. I wont rule out liquid in the valve, but I don't think thats what it was. I have another mag that refuses to work on co2, so I'm hoping thats all it is. The other one is a brand new classic valve from AGD.

One of my HPA tanks just came back, so I'll try that again. any other ideas? maybe the spring from the level 10 kit? I know it came with 3 different springs. I don't have the directions for it. im not sure what effect, if any, the springs have on speed. I'll try taking it apart and greasing/oiling everything. I'm pretty new to mags, and I've been very sporadic in playing paintball over the last three years. A lot of my tech skills have gone away, so I won't rule out something blatantly obvious also.

thanks for your input!

#7 User is offline   saber 

• We Will Not Go Quietly Into the Night
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WolfSaber

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Im willing to bet that you are using to long of a spring on the bolt.. go to the shortest one(stock spring) and start to recrono...

I tried to post this yesterday but for some reason I cant post from my home computer with IE

Shattered Angels
"Fear those fallen from grace for they have nothing left to lose..."

#8 User is offline   2002superhawk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

View Postsaber, on Mar 12 2008, 05:47 PM, said:

Im willing to bet that you are using to long of a spring on the bolt.. go to the shortest one(stock spring) and start to recrono...

I tried to post this yesterday but for some reason I cant post from my home computer with IE

no problem, sabre. I have problems like that all the time. I use a mac at home, and a lot of websites hate me because of that :)
I'll try the spring tomorrow. I have the red spring on it now. I'll change it out to the next shortest one, and see if that helps. I'm assuming thats how it works; shorter bolt spring = lower velocity?
I appreciate the help everyone! I'm very happy about the large amount of helpful folks on this forum! especially you automag owners :)

superhawk

#9 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Goldenhand

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

I have no idea on the velocity, but I saw you're from MA too and thought I'd say welcome!
(lol, you've been here longer then me!)

This post has been edited by Goldenhand: 13 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#10 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

Maybe the spring is too strong? Do they use springs???

All I know is when the tac is shooting high, change springs
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users