• You cannot reply to this topic

Beginning to Ghillie Help me out buds :) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   The Killen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:The Killen

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

What's the best way to buy a premade ghillie suit? Off special ops, from a paintball store, maybe from somewhere like Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's? Is it a lot of hassle to make one with a kit, or is it just better to buy pre-made, and make any improvements later?

Anyways, where I'm going with this is that I need a new ghillie suit, the old one I had been given has been worn out. It was just made out of some camoflauge netting and junk. So, any ideas for me?

Thanks for the help guys.
The Killen

#2 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ETHANB

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

Im working on my first ghillie, I finished my pants today! Look at them blend! and thats without foilage!
Attached File  Ghillie_pants_june_08__2008.JPG (235.2K)
Number of downloads: 42
I would say go with a kit and make it cause you have a lot more control of what you would want yours to look like, its a little bit time consuming, but i think you would be happier with it in the end. Also when you buy a premade one it may not match your environment well, and i always thought the premade ones looked to dark. Mine I dyed and shredded the burlap myself and im very happy with my results. You had a point with adding on to a Premade one, its would be easyer, but theres only so much that can be added on, but you could also heavily rely on adding vegitation and foilage. All in all though I would make one or buy a kit and make it as close as colour as your field. Anyways good luck on finding and or making a your ghillie!
Spetsnaz, When the only way to kill a terrorist is by a backflipping hatchet attack.

#3 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

Making your own ghilli is the best way to go but there are several options open to you. Army Surplus stores will almost always have it. Also hunting stores may have it as well as several catalogues
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#4 User is offline   The Killen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

Yes, I thought making my own to suit my environment better would be more logical. So is the Action Ghille kit a good choice to purchase? I assumed it would be time consuming, but it's not going to be that hard will it?

#5 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:16 AM

What kind of environment do you play in that will help us answer some questions. But I will never have action ghillie unless it's in a very leafy environment. Looks more like leaves, any where else just have a jute or burlap one and just add the veg you need.

#6 User is offline   The Killen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:01 PM

We play in dense woodland terrain and occassionaly scrubland. I have a picture on my Brigade profile, but I will post it here also. I think Mossy would work well.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  pine.jpg (155.88K)
    Number of downloads: 23

This post has been edited by The Killen: 10 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

#7 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

View PostThe Killen, on Jun 10 2008, 05:01 PM, said:

We play in dense woodland terrain and occassionaly scrubland. I think Mossy would work well.

you said it best :wacko: ...a blend of greens and grays with a little brown and slight tan = Mossy

A jute suit would work best from the look of that environment.

Honestly an Action Ghillie could work there too, but not as effective as a jute suit. :P

#8 User is offline   The Killen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

Do you construct a jute fiber one basically just like a burlap one? What's the difference? And thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it :o . I'm gonna start making my suit sometime next week when I have time. :(

#9 User is offline   The Killen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

Ok, so I have 5 yards of tan burlap, and cans green, black, tan, and gray spray paint. Since the burlap is already tan, there is no need to dye it, correct? Then I cut into strips and paint them, then sew them on to my BDU's, then coat with waterproofing spray first and then fire retardant. I think I should have this under control! ;)

#10 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

i am making mine right now as well. is it hard, not at all....that being said you will be putting some serious time into it. depending on the ammmount of ghillie you will use. (just the back of your BDU, Pants, full poncho/stalking ghillie) these all play into the amount of time and supplies you will need. Also you will begin to realize when tying your ghillie that you will start to develop a system, of how to make a good amount of "bunching" with a little amount of burlap. this is something that will happen automatically somewhere along the 2-3 row. also, as easy as it is to do, try not getting into a pattern. IE: dark green|brown|dark green|brown etc....its very easy to get caught doing this but you must try not doing that. a little advise as to put what colors where. the human body is easilly noticed in the woods. so to break it up as best as possible with just using burlap the general rule of thumb is to put dark colors where there would be light spots on the body and dbrighter colors where there would be shadows/dark colors. IE: Your shoulders usually have sunlight hitting them, so put some blacks, dark greens, and brown on that area. and under your armpits you want to put the light browns bright greens and other brighter colors there.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#11 User is offline   Explosive 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

View PostThe Killen, on Jun 12 2008, 06:49 PM, said:

Ok, so I have 5 yards of tan burlap, and cans green, black, tan, and gray spray paint. Since the burlap is already tan, there is no need to dye it, correct? Then I cut into strips and paint them, then sew them on to my BDU's, then coat with waterproofing spray first and then fire retardant. I think I should have this under control! :)

my opinion, nothing beats dying burlap. Not a huge fan of spray painting material..looks like crap.

NOW after dying some burlap & if you want to mist some spray paint on things to dull it, or tint it...that's ok.

I'd dye...

get some green, tan, brown, black (you can make an effective gray with black dye the tan burlap with about 5 minutes of time)
mix up these colors in some 5 gal buckets (green + brown = dark-forest green, green + tan = olive etc etc.)
leave some of the burlap in for 10 minutes, some of it for 20 minutes. It will produce different levels of saturated colors.

complex huh? I just think, if you're gonna go ghillie, do it right. lol

View PostSFC. Connell, on Jun 12 2008, 09:30 PM, said:

a little advise as to put what colors where. the human body is easilly noticed in the woods. so to break it up as best as possible with just using burlap the general rule of thumb is to put dark colors where there would be light spots on the body and dbrighter colors where there would be shadows/dark colors. IE: Your shoulders usually have sunlight hitting them, so put some blacks, dark greens, and brown on that area. and under your armpits you want to put the light browns bright greens and other brighter colors there.

Hmmm...kinda of like the logic of military face paint. Honestly, not the case with a ghillie. Putting blacks, darker colors on your shoulders and head is just a way to get you detected easier. Majority of the time your shoulders and head are the most visible and keeping colors even, with a blend of light and a little dark patch here and there is the most effective.
Just keep the colors close to your surroundings. Sometimes clumping/patches of colors in your ghillie can be effective.
It really depends on your terrain.

As far as burlap in your armpit area...interesting!

:P

This post has been edited by Explosive: 12 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

#12 User is offline   The Killen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Just some fabric dye would work then?

#13 User is offline   Explosive 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

View PostThe Killen, on Jun 12 2008, 11:12 PM, said:

Just some fabric dye would work then?

yeah...think it's RITE dye

fabric stores sell it
I think Wal-Mart still carries it...look in crafts or on the isle where they sell bleach.

liquid dye is more potent than powder dye, but both work. You don't have to use the whole bottle of dye on one batch.
You're just trying to tint the tan burlap. Time you let it soak is how you get the different tones of one color.
I use to dye a yard at a time and make 4 colors.

DON'T dye in a washing machine, unless it's your's and your's alone (then run an empty cycle with bleach to clean things out)!!! Mom's, wives, girlfriends will kill you when they find out about what you did and why you did it! :) :)

#14 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

i didnt mean to say under my armpit exactly but more like the part of your back where it meets your arm...like the "wing" on your shoulder? do you get what I'm saying haha. Also you could put ghillie under your armpit if you are making a stalking ghillie. just an option.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#15 User is offline   Meline 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meline

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:42 AM

View PostSFC. Connell, on Jun 12 2008, 07:30 PM, said:

Also you will begin to realize when tying your ghillie that you will start to develop a system, of how to make a good amount of "bunching" with a little amount of burlap. this is something that will happen automatically somewhere along the 2-3 row. also, as easy as it is to do, try not getting into a pattern. IE: dark green|brown|dark green|brown etc....its very easy to get caught doing this but you must try not doing that.

You know you can use that natural habit to your advantage, I did when I made my suit (see pic section).

The key to making it work through is you pic a base color (the predominate color of your enviroment) and you start a pattern like this Row 1: Base color on slot 1 skip 5 spaces and repeat. Next row: Base color slot 3, skip 5 and repeat. Next row: Base on 5, skip five and repeat. Next row: base on 2 skip 5 repeat. Last row: Base on 4 skip 5 repeat. Return to row 1 pattern and repeat.

Next you generate your color pattern. How I did was really scientific, I wrote down all six colors I was using on pieces of paper, stuck them in a hat and then pulled them out at random 5 times. Now that I had 5 different color patterns it was time to put it all together.

I started with pattern 1 going left to right. Pattern 2 on the next row going right to left. Pattern 3 on teh next left to right. And on and on.

The result was that the base color pattern breaks up the color pattern to ensure that you don't get yourself in to a rut and makes your suit random.

Also I skipped every other row on everything ECCEPT shoulders and head (anything that is top and sticks out) as those areas require more jute to cover you.
CPPA #2701

aka Lazarusrat

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users