Special Ops Paintball: Air Cav - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Air Cav Use of helachoters in scenario games Rate Topic: -----

Poll: chopper use (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Should helachopters be an intracul part of any scenario game?

1. Yeah...grate idea (14 votes [27.45%])

Percentage of vote: 27.45%

2. No...lame and pricy (28 votes [54.90%])

Percentage of vote: 54.90%

3. needs work but maybe (9 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:46 AM

I've heared about the use of choppers in some scenario games or in others sites and I came up with the position that is called "Air Cav"

No need to be a trained pilot for this or go to flight school. The game organizors get real already trained pilots to do the acual flying. let the pilots do the flying wile two gunner seats are raffled off for a certian period of time or the length of a mission.

The Air Cav member that is the paintball player, there job is to provide cover for his team mates on the ground. The only diffrence is that the Air Cav are blasting away at the OPFOR from the air.

The best thing about this is that if a player is injered on the ground and you can't get an ambulence in, but you already have the chopper and can fly in to medivac the injered and get them to a hospitol (That's just a wrost case scenario I put in that could justify it)

Choppers have been in use since the Korean war to evac the injered but it wasan't till Vietnam when it was unleashed both as a troop transport or attack platform that it really came into it's own.

What's your thoughts on it for scenario paintball???
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

This isn't a position. Not at all. Not even remotely close. You know how many games annually use helicopters in their scenarios? Maybe 4. The SO positions were designed to be used in any scenario game. Do you have any idea how infeasible it would be to have helicopters in a game on a regular basis? Or how expensive? Not to mention that you can't even fire a paintball gun out of a helicopter. The downdraft from the rotors would simply blow your paint away. Also, medivacing DOESN'T HAPPEN.

This isn't the Army. This isn't a video game. This is scenario paintball. Take the 30 seconds out of your life to form a complete idea before posting silly stuff like this.

#3 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

^^Whoa, chill down a little dude. I agree with your assessment of the practicality of Air Cav as a position, but there's no need to tear his idea to shreds in such a condescending way. He probably forgot about the draft from the rotors - that'd be an easy thing to overlook. And perhaps he didn't realize that the positions are intended to apply to more than just the occassional very-large game. There's no call to go insulting his intellect or anything.

As for me, as I mentioned above, I'm afraid it's not very practical. The farthest I see helicopters going in paintball is for troop insertions, such as what SpecOps does at the Elite Weekend. And in any case, helicopters are too much of a rarity to warrent a position being created based around them.

But it would be pretty sweet to be a helicopter gunner if it would work. :laugh:

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 05 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

Sounds fun & cool - but just not practical for the vast majority of scenario producers.
The liability insurance costs alone would be frightening...

#5 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:32 AM

I just had the idea but it still would need some work. But still it would be sweet to be shooting from a chopper. I still think the idea is good in therory atleast and may need to be adjusted a bit. by the way I didn't really like the insults I recived from Murader_pilot on it because I was just pitching a basic idea

#6 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

I like the idea, It would be awesome to blaze away from up there. But it is simply impractical. Number one reason is cost. Jet fuel ain't no cheap thing. Another thing is, have you ever been hit by a paintball heading strait down (or almost)? It hurts, ALOT more than normal. And it leaves a welt you can feel for a week (unlike the normal kind). The thing I was thinking was, how about RC airplane bombers. You can mount a tiny camera facing forward and facing down slightly (and watch live from a tv when you can't see it directly). There are a lot of people who can fly RC planes, and a good number of them like to play paintball (me included). To make it work, you would need an extremely overly large engine to propel the extra weight of the balls, cameras, and droping/storage mechanisms. I would even recommend fitting an electric motor on there so once you drop all the balls. You can shut off the main engine and have it slow enough to land on a short area. Note that the balls are not being propel down by anything other than gravity, and from above tree top level, that is enough to break it. Also, once you bomb everything, you can stay up there for a while and get some recon on the OpFor.
FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#7 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

remote planes I can only see for recon work. but even thou you can't really shoot from a chopper, you can still drop off players and pick them up.

#8 Guest_b_soukup_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on May 5 2008, 06:46 AM, said:

I've heared about the use of choppers in some scenario games or in others sites and I came up with the position that is called "Air Cav"

No need to be a trained pilot for this or go to flight school. The game organizors get real already trained pilots to do the acual flying. let the pilots do the flying wile two gunner seats are raffled off for a certian period of time or the length of a mission.

The Air Cav member that is the paintball player, there job is to provide cover for his team mates on the ground. The only diffrence is that the Air Cav are blasting away at the OPFOR from the air.

The best thing about this is that if a player is injered on the ground and you can't get an ambulence in, but you already have the chopper and can fly in to medivac the injered and get them to a hospitol (That's just a wrost case scenario I put in that could justify it)

Choppers have been in use since the Korean war to evac the injered but it wasan't till Vietnam when it was unleashed both as a troop transport or attack platform that it really came into it's own.

What's your thoughts on it for scenario paintball???

thats an awseome idea. dont listen to the people saying it sucks. that probably 1 of the coolest things to add in a scenario game. and its not like Spec Ops couldnt afford it, there loaded. :P

#9 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

it's probalby not the best idea to shoot from a chopper, but the concept of it being used for troop insurtion and extraction is sound. Air Cav dose not go to just the air crew but Air Cav extends to the guys on the ground. Ever see that movie "We Were Solgiers"

#10 User is offline   stevepdx80 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:stevepdx80

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

i found a group that does stuff like this!

www.usmc.mil

#11 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

Lesse....$500 into your aircraft, and somebody will be taking shots at it?

I fly R/C too. But in order to see anything (most of the airborne cameras I've seen are monotone), you're gonna see shades of gray, not good for spotting people in camo in the woods, and you're going to have to have a fairly low altitude, making the aircraft susceptible to ground fire. (Red Baron himself was shot down by ground fire.)
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#12 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

I have done a few runs as a "door gunner" and been inserted into games by chopper, and I remember the first "big Game" I played in during the early 90's at Coram, NY with a helicopter in it. Lots of fun, and great for Scenarios, but I don't think it qualifies as a position. Most places won't do too much with choppers due to insurance reasons, so it's out of reach for many players, and thus doesn't warrant position status. R/C has as many, if not more, problems that a real chopper, as far as liability and such goes, but if a field owner is willing to risk it, great.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#13 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

Maybe the army will do it for there scenario game at camp blanding in florida. The military is always willing to let you use there choppers providing you let there pilots fly.

#14 User is offline   Archie21 

• hardcore paintballer
  • PipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

View PostEcellg, on May 6 2008, 08:11 PM, said:

I like the idea, It would be awesome to blaze away from up there. But it is simply impractical. Number one reason is cost. Jet fuel ain't no cheap thing. Another thing is, have you ever been hit by a paintball heading strait down (or almost)? It hurts, ALOT more than normal. And it leaves a welt you can feel for a week (unlike the normal kind). The thing I was thinking was, how about RC airplane bombers. You can mount a tiny camera facing forward and facing down slightly (and watch live from a tv when you can't see it directly). There are a lot of people who can fly RC planes, and a good number of them like to play paintball (me included). To make it work, you would need an extremely overly large engine to propel the extra weight of the balls, cameras, and droping/storage mechanisms. I would even recommend fitting an electric motor on there so once you drop all the balls. You can shut off the main engine and have it slow enough to land on a short area. Note that the balls are not being propel down by anything other than gravity, and from above tree top level, that is enough to break it. Also, once you bomb everything, you can stay up there for a while and get some recon on the OpFor.

They sell an RC Helicopter with a camera and paintball gun mounted on it. I have only found the website once or twice. I just tried looking for it but couldnt find anything.
Team Brutal Anguish:
Taking the path of most resistance

Archie21's sale thread!! Everything must go!!

#15 User is offline   milsim berry 

• PUNISHER
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MILSIM_BERRY

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

somebody might get in heat with the faa
Christian paintballer
USMC Semper Fi
LOOKING FOR A TEAM
Posted Image
Posted Image