• You cannot reply to this topic

Oklahoma D-Day Anyone going? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hey gang, I was looking into going to D-Day this year. Anyone else going? What unit should I go with? Any advice for a newbie to the scenario scene?
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#2 User is offline   Bongo904 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bongo904

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Heck yes I am. I'm running with the 101st Pathfinders this year.

This is a pretty generic assessment, but if you like being outnumbered and defending objectives, then go German. If you like attacking a well entrenched enemy with large numbers, go Allied. Once you get that far, then I recommend researching what each unit does during the game. The field is so big (something like 500 acres), you pretty much get a different experience with whatever unit you run with. Each unit also has a "culture", meaning how they bond, train, and just have fun as a unit. So it's a good idea to take that into consideration as well. The D-day forum is a great source for getting a feel on all the above.

You won't regret going. Last year was my first year. All I have been thinking about since then is going back this June.

Also, you need to register soon. The deadline to pick your unit is May 15th. If you register after that, they will assign you to a unit that needs players to balance out the numbers. I think you still get to pick a side, just not the unit.

Hope to see you there!

This post has been edited by Bongo904: 27 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

#3 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

Hooah, 101st Path. Wacaster's Own. Like Bongo was saying, each unit has their own feel to it. Very much attack and defend, the Germans start on most of the objectives and need to be pushed off by the advancing Allies. Allied Airborne units get dropped off in the back field behind the Germans, and are usually outnumbered at least 2:1 for most of the game until they link up with the beach units. The German Pfalschirmjager and Kommando units are the crack german units, usually sent to deal with the airborne or bolster a beach defense unit. The main attraction to D-Day for most are the allied beach units (1st and 4th infantry, as well as the Rangers), having to storm up the Normandy Beaches under a withering hail of fire from the entrenched German defenders. The is also the French resistance, which is the only Allied unit that starts with defending an objective.

Advice for new players:
Bring a camelback, its hot and humid and you WILL get dehydrated.
Have a vest or pod pack large enough to carry more paint than you are used to. The main event is all day long, so you will want enough paint to keep playing. Bring water with you. I have heard that D-Day is not providing water anymore (rumor?) but i recommend bottled water anyways, they water there smells faintly like Eggs.
Bring snacks with you on the field. Again, all day event. You will get hungry. Some units don't stop for lunch. You've been warned.
If you've never played a scenario with tanks: they will ruin your day. If your unit has a rocket guy, keep him alive or that tank will destroy your whole unit. No joke, i've seen it happen.
Spare equipment if you have it. Yes they have techs at D-day, but i recommend a back up marker, hopper, mask (or lens) ect. You never know what might happen.

If you have special medical needs (allergies, diabetes, ect) let your unit commander and squad leader know. It could save your life. If you need an Epi-Pen, bring it with you on the field and let the same people know where you have it on you. It's the woods, you can get bit/stung/pee-d on whatever.

other than that, don't forget to have fun!
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#4 User is offline   Jones 

• Isaiah 6:8
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

I am really wanting to go again this year. I have been twice and I love it. It's a really awesome experience. Half the fun is just the camping with your unit lol. Even though I probably won't do it again 1st Infantry Division(assault on Utah beach)is something you have to experience at least once. I have done it both times i went. Its an awesome feeling when that ramp drops on your boat and everyone sprints out and the paintballs are just flying everywhere. Very adrenaline pumping. But i think i've had my fill of getting tore apart for the first hour of the game each year lol. You should definitely go. Eagle Eye's advice is very good. I would really emphasize the water and the spare gear. It is hot....freakin hot when your out there all day, and if your like me it never fails that some piece of my equipment has to screw up about five minutes before the game so spare equipment is a must for me.

Hope to see you there. You'll have a blast.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

It cannot be overstated, so...... Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

You'd think after all this time that people would get the message. They don't. Every single year there's at least a few who get medical services because of heat stroke or heat related conditions. That takes them out of the game, and is no fun at all.

Bring a ton of water, and use it. We mean it, more than you think you need.

I go German when I've gone. For 3 years I played for the 716th Infantry. If you want to shoot up a lot of maroon shirts, and run with the first regular infantry to see action on all 3 beaches, go 716th. They play hard, won't make you force march anywhere (just move fast when given an objective), and have a lot of fun playing extreme odds.

Sadly I won't make D-Day this year, but I highly recommend the 716th.
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:36 AM

Thanks guys! Looking into the 101st, 716th and CEF right now. The hydrate part seems to be important as it is the one repeated thing by everyone. Good thing I like water lol.
If I joined one of the air born units, how in-shape should I be? I'm relatively good right now, but I have started running again to prep. And how is the camping type thing? I've never been camping before aside from spending the night in a fiend's back and and getting rained on.

This post has been edited by Cuy'val Dar : 28 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

Posted Image

. -Pirate

#7 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

i recommend 101st, but then again i'm biased (i've been 101st pathfinder every year i go). The Commonwealth guys are well organized from what i've seen, and i cant comment on anything german, as i don't really know who i'm shooting at other than they have red hoppers.

As for being in shape, you will walk all over that field, all day long if you go airborne. if you go pathfinder, ranger, kommando, or pfalschirmjaeger (all considered SF units) you will have to go through the obstacle course. The course isn't really challenging, it's more fun. If you do any kind of sports, you'll be fine. You will be crawling, jumping, jogging, swinging, etc over like 8-10 obstacles, so nothing overly serious. It's designed for civilians, it's not like a basic training real army thing. If all you've done for the last couple months is sit around and play x-box, you probably want to go do some physical training. Remember, it will be friggin hot the whole week (or torrential downpour of rain some years)
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#8 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

oh, and camping. Tents, sleeping bags, camp stove cooking, the works. they have showers there and latrines, but i've only had cold water when i went. Prep for rain, but expect it to be hot n humid with no air conditioning all week (unless you bring an RV with A/C)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:57 AM

Since you mentioned 716th as a consideration.

Just like the airborne and kommando units, expect to be moving a LOT. The 716th has a lot of territory that they are responsible for, plus in the years I've been to D-Day we also got to help the airborne fill in weak holes in other parts of the German lines.

I'm a big guy, and I managed to get through, but it is not something you want to go through having done no working out at all. I'm slow(er) but have endurance like crazy.

This isn't the game for video gamers turned paintballers. But you don't need to be a superstar athlete either. The terrain is brutal in many places. But, so is my home field so I'm accustomed to 3-dimensional courses.
Member of Team Akkadian

#10 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:14 AM

View PostEagle Eye, on 28 April 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

oh, and camping. Tents, sleeping bags, camp stove cooking, the works. they have showers there and latrines, but i've only had cold water when i went. Prep for rain, but expect it to be hot n humid with no air conditioning all week (unless you bring an RV with A/C)

I live in Louisiana. We invented hot and humid. Haha.
Thanks for the advice guys. If I have more questions I'll post here again.
Posted Image

. -Pirate

#11 User is offline   Jones 

• Isaiah 6:8
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

View PostCuy'val Dar, on 28 April 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

View PostEagle Eye, on 28 April 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

I live in Louisiana. We invented hot and humid. Haha.
Thanks for the advice guys. If I have more questions I'll post here again.

I have been to the south a few times(Georgia, Texas, Florida) to work for Habitat for Humanity but i live in Kansas about 30 minutes from the D-Day field, and you would be surprised at how humid it can get around here. When you think of the Midwest you don't usually think humid but it can get bad. I always use the example that when we went to Georgia everyone who lived there was complaining about the humidity for most of the week and it really wasn't all that out of the ordinary for us. lol.

The preparing for rain is also great advice. One year it stormed like crazy and our tent collapsed in the middle of the night from collecting so much rain on top! lol. Then it was sunny without a single cloud the next day and crazy humid from the rain. I think everyone says this about where they live but around here "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and you will get something different."
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Nope, but I wish I was. Such a fun event!
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#13 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

For a budget, should $550 cover the week? ( not including transport) I did some simple addition (rounding up the pricing) and got that number.
Posted Image

. -Pirate

#14 User is offline   Bongo904 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bongo904

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostCuy'val Dar, on 28 April 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

For a budget, should $550 cover the week? ( not including transport) I did some simple addition (rounding up the pricing) and got that number.

What day do you plan to show up?

You can definitely make that work. Your biggest expense is going to be paint. So it really comes down to how much paint you shoot for the week. You can easily budget paint for the mini scenarios during the week. But don't skimp on what you need to make Saturday fun for you and effective for your unit. Paint last year was RPS premium for $65 a case and $75 for Marbs (plus a bonus paint grenade). I'm guessing it will be the same or damn close this year.

And of course there's the $80 reg fee and whatever food you need. You can either eat like a king or a starving college student. They also have a meal plan at the D-day cafe that covers the week for $84. Or you can do single days at $14 a day. This covers two meals a day; breakfast and lunch or dinner. And it's always good to have some spending cash for gear. The vendors have really good deals. And if you're patient, the prices creep down throughout the week.

This post has been edited by Bongo904: 28 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

#15 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Probably Tuesday. I have calculated for 3 cases of paint @$80, reg fee, $150 for food (mostly stuff I'll be bringing) and the rest for what ever else I may or may not need.
Posted Image

. -Pirate

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users