Special Ops Paintball: The Experimental Tank Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Experimental Tank Thread The Vehicle Kind, please vote Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Tank subsection (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the SO Forum implement a subsection devoted specifically to tanks?

1. Strong Yes (42 votes [50.60%])

Percentage of vote: 50.60%

2. Yes (26 votes [31.33%])

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

3. Indifferent/Don't Care (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

4. No (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

5. Strong No (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. There has been some concern for the implementation of a new "tank" section of the forums, hence this experimental thread. This is a thread about tanks; maintenance, construction, tactics, tankbusting, why you want to see a tank thread; anything and everything about tanks. If you like to play tank-related positions, have plans to build a tank, or even want to see a new tank section in action, please post in this thread. Share your tank stories and knowledge! If this thread receives enough traffic, we may be able to ask the admin to designate a subsection of the forum devoted specifically to tanks. And without further adeu, let us begin.

#2 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:L4NDSC4P3R

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

I was the one who came up with this idea!!! Go me!!!

Although I have to give Ka1iBur the credit for suggesting a topic for the time being...
O'Connor: "Good to see you've gone with the times and put in electric fuel injectors..."
Torreto: "Buster became a gear head."

#3 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

It seems frivolous, most of the SO "positions" are complete and utter crap. Allowing motivated players to classify themselves and overthink the game.

If you want to build a tank, then build a tank. There's a healthy and vibrant community of tankers out there somewhere in the dark recess of the internet, I assure you. Besides, it's so out of the reach of the average person, a marketing campaign could only end badly in this economy. What would SO sell? Tanker's boots?!?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#4 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

He's not saying that SO should sell anything. It's a request so that the tankers -and all variants there of- on here would have a designated place to chat and get/give advice.

This post has been edited by Ecellg: 15 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#5 User is offline   PointBlank65 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:PointBlank65

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

with the new havoc launcher for cheap and the jcs launcher back in production more people can become tank hunters
so a place in the so forums would be a good thing imo
Saber #816,If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Tippmann X7 All g-36 parts 14" FREAK BSA red bot

#6 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

It would be a place to share and expand on ideas, knowledge, and experiences, no marketing involved. Many people aren't into tanks because they don't know about them, because all they know is either speedball or weekend outlaw games. I know from experience that most players, once introduced to the concept of tanks in-game, are very excited about them. It would be a great way to reach out to new players as well as a place to unite hard-core veterans. And it's not like it would cost anything; a simple addition of a new sub-section would benefit more than it would harm, and take next to nothing to create. Worst case scenario, traffic is not as desired and the section is not as active as other areas. I see this as a win-win.

This post has been edited by Ka1iBuR: 15 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

#7 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

A friend of mine owns a '76 4WD Dodge PowerWagon. It's old, it's beasty, and it's already green. We want to turn it into a quick-loading/unloading APC, with room for at least five passengers and a top-mounted MG. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make this?

This post has been edited by Ka1iBuR: 15 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

#8 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

I had something like that I wanted to make. A BMP-1 type vehicle or Stryker variant. Although my idea was a troop transport with a Nerf cannon. And maybe put rubber boots for gun ports.
O'Connor: "Good to see you've gone with the times and put in electric fuel injectors..."

#9 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

Good idea. I was also thinking of a way to be able to turn the turret 360 degrees in the limited amount of space of a truck bed. I was thinking using a magnetic bipod or tripod, something that would stay firmly in place during play but be pulled up and rotated when needed, or removed from the vehicle. Is this a good idea? Any others?

#10 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

I need a 3D design software to show you my idea...

#11 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

Could you make a multiple-view 2D representation? I think I'll be able to understand it from there.

#12 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

He's not saying that SO should sell anything. It's a request so that the tankers -and all variants there of- on here would have a designated place to chat and get/give advice.

Ah, ok. As somebody whose spent a lot of time dreaming about a tank, I can get behind that.

A friend of mine owns a '76 4WD Dodge PowerWagon. It's old, it's beasty, and it's already green. We want to turn it into a quick-loading/unloading APC, with room for at least five passengers and a top-mounted MG. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make this?

At the risk of sounding negative, I'm almost sure that most fields don't allow tanks made out of road vehicles after '95 or some year around there. I think it's a liability thing, not sure how many fields actually follow that, but I saw it somewhere. I know Skirmish USA says that people in a tank are neutral outside a tank, so there an APC would be useless. I don't know how other fields would feel about that. The same would go with having a top mounted MG, field limits on full auto being what they are.

That having been said, from what I've seen a larger tank almost always have a traversing turret. Generally, the smaller ones have a fixed gun for the driver in the front, so there's no designated gunner. Smaller=easier to build, easier to handle, easier to transport, and importantly, easy to afford, lol
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#13 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

It will take me a couple days, but I will post it up soon.

#14 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

View Postrcp_90, on Apr 15 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

At the risk of sounding negative, I'm almost sure that most fields don't allow tanks made out of road vehicles after '95 or some year around there. I think it's a liability thing, not sure how many fields actually follow that, but I saw it somewhere. I know Skirmish USA says that people in a tank are neutral outside a tank, so there an APC would be useless. I don't know how other fields would feel about that. The same would go with having a top mounted MG, field limits on full auto being what they are.

That having been said, from what I've seen a larger tank almost always have a traversing turret. Generally, the smaller ones have a fixed gun for the driver in the front, so there's no designated gunner. Smaller=easier to build, easier to handle, easier to transport, and importantly, easy to afford, lol

Absolutely. That's why we're not trying to buy a bus. :panzer: Yeah, I think the "after 95" rule applies to the production year of the vehicle, but you're right; most fields will not allow newer vehicles on the field because they are made out of weaker materials(at least that's the main reason I can see). I like the targeting range of the 360 turret, but also the flexibility and steady hold of the magnetic bipod.

#15 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

what you could to is attach a Steel pole to the bed of the truck, then take a piece of pvc pipe with an inner diameter just big enough to fit over the steel pole , attach a T-joint to the top of this pole and create a square with 90 degree joints and pvc pipe cut out just enough space in the top of the square to fit in another T joint, but sand the inside of this T joint so that it can rotate freely in place [to allow rotation vertically] cut a line in the top of the T joint [this is where your marker will sit] if need be you could install extra length of pvc pipe in the front or back of the t joint to hold the marker more stable and install straps through the pvc to hold it in place.

I have attached pictures to give you a better idea.

Attached File(s)

The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users