• This topic is locked

Pilot Training! or my lame excuse for a thread

#1 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

So if you've been a good little forum member, you've been keeping up with the saga of MDK and his Air Force Adventure. It started almost five years ago when I found out I was going to the Academy, and now I've finally gotten started on the Real American Dream -- sitting in a chair that goes around in the sky really really fast and learning how to blow stuff up better.

Pretty awesome job description, right?

Anyway the idea of this thread isn't to brag or anything like that. I just thought that some folks might like to know more about flying -- how it all works, what it's like, what I do, etc. So I said to myself, "Self, that sounds like a thread." And then I made that thread. And then you clicked on that thread.

So, shoot, fire away, I guess. Nothing's off-limits (except for the stuff that's clearly off-limits like "What's the part of the F-22 you shoot to make it blow up?" or "Where do you hide the transformers that airplanes are based off of?" That stuff is secret). Seriously though, if anybody's curious about anything, fire away and I'll do my best to make myself look totally cool answer just about anything I can.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#2 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

This is a good idea actualy. My dads a commercial pilot so i know a bit about flying. i also plan to get my liscense soon.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#3 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

What's the part of the F-22 you shoot to make it blow up? Where do you hide the transformers that airplanes are based off of?

you knew someone was going to do it ..... :P

so how many rounds are there in the onboard guns, how many rounds per second do they fire, and how big are the rounds that would be going through something / somebody ?

#4 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Whats the F22's max flight range? What kind of material is it made of? Max speed?

:P
Posted Image

. -Pirate

#5 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

View Postklaatu, on Feb 3 2010, 08:32 PM, said:

so how many rounds are there in the onboard guns, how many rounds per second do they fire, and how big are the rounds that would be going through something / somebody ?

I dunno, about a million?

There are only a couple of planes with guns that are really meant for human beings. One is the A-10, which houses the largest gun ever put into the sky -- most planes are built around an engine, this one was built around a gun. The shell casings will fill up your whole fist, and the bullets go like insane-fast -- the short version is, don't get into a fight with the A-10, you lose before you have time to count the bullets.

The other guns we fly around are mission-specific, like helicopters might have a door gun or something cool like that. The bad boy is the AC-130, which is even scarier in real life than it is in Modern Warfare 2. Wikipedia has a pretty solid list of the various unclassified weapon systems we operate. The long and short of it is, when the Air Force shoots at something, it's the rough equivalent of God deciding he wants somebody dead. If you're feeling sadistic, check around on youtube for some B-52 clusterbomb footage and see what kind of power our oldest planes still haul around. Since I'm still in training I don't really know much more than the average joe when it comes to this sort of thing -- still learning how to fly a good landing pattern, how to pull G's, how not to explode -- weapons training, if I get slotted into an aircraft with weapons on it, doesn't happen for a bit longer.
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

Airplanes are one of my many passions. F-22 is awesome. F-14 still my favorite.

So I take it you are an F-22 pilot? Lucky. Fatherless. Man. Is it your favorite or do you love another?

More later.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#7 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Not F-22. Right now I'm flying the T-6, as seen in the siggy below. Don't let the propeller fool you -- this thing goes from 0-230 in about fifteen seconds. But it's not my favorite -- I'm hoping to fly the CV-22 Osprey.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   ike123 

• Cha togar m' fhearg gun dýoladh
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ike

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

Why the Osprey? The vertical take-off and landing aspect is superbly cool, but I've never seen much else special about it to make me personally wanna fly it.
Paintball isn't my hobby, it's my lifestyle. Go hard or go home.

#9 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Quite personaly, thats why i would like to fly the opsrey oneday. Dont know about Cpt, Obvious though
Posted Image

. -Pirate

#10 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

I like it because of the missions we use it for -- usually of the "we don't talk about it" variety. But also, because for all the techno-marvel of the modern fighter, they've got nothing on this birdie. Low-level maneuvering is, like, way-cool. Low-level night maneuvering is, like, impossibly-cool. Low-level night maneuvering in a grotesque mashup of four different planes, in radio blackout and full of spooks on the way to a location that doesn't exist? There's not even a prefix cool enough to describe the level of cool that is.

Along the way I want to do my share of do-goodery flying rescue choppers, because, again, the mission is something I really want to be a part of.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

The Osprey......That is one wicked piece of hardware. :o I remember all the development issues it went through...but the result is amazing. Its like something out of the future.....

What are your chances for getting that assignment?
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#12 User is offline   edtoro 

• Street Ghost Urban Camo User.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsDrake

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

Since youre into choppers, do you wish one day to fly the AH-64 Apache Longbow? Whats your opinion on allied/good term country choppers like the British Lynx or the Russian Mi-24 Hind? Do you wish one day to fly a super-cool plane like the A-10 Thunderbolt (b3fore its retired :o), F-22 raptor, th new F-35 Lightning 2, the B-2 Spirit, the legendary B-52 Stratofortress?
Posted Image

Official Saber Recognition Group:#796
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. - ger
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

#13 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Feb 10 2010, 08:03 PM, said:

The Osprey......That is one wicked piece of hardware. :rolleyes: I remember all the development issues it went through...but the result is amazing. Its like something out of the future.....

What are your chances for getting that assignment?

Not great, but then again my chances of being here in the first place are basically impossible, so I'll take 'em. A lot of things have to happen.... first of all, I have to do a bang-up job in "undergraduate pilot training," henceforth referred to as UPT, to give myself a good chance of getting helicopters or C-130's at "track select" (which is when they say "you people are going to learn to fly fighters, you people learn heavies, you people learn choppers," etc.) That happens around the beginning of June. Then, once I've gotten into the helicopter track, I have to do a bang-up job flying helicopters, to give myself a good chance of getting the airfame I want. Then, on top of that, the Air Force has to decide that it needs a new Osprey pilot right when I'm graduating from chopper school.

So, yeah. Not excellent odds! But the good news is, they're sending more and more people to chopper school these days, and if I don't get what I want right away, I can always ask to transition in later. That, and I like all the other planes out there just fine -- so I won't be too horribly disappointed if they stick me in something else.

Since youre into choppers, do you wish one day to fly the AH-64 Apache Longbow? Whats your opinion on allied/good term country choppers like the British Lynx or the Russian Mi-24 Hind? Do you wish one day to fly a super-cool plane like the A-10 Thunderbolt (b3fore its retired unsure.gif), F-22 raptor, th new F-35 Lightning 2, the B-2 Spirit, the legendary B-52 Stratofortress?

Apaches have been pretty awesome for us so far, but if I really wanted to lay down that kind of hurt, I'd be aiming for fighter-bombers. In terms of scary helicopters, nobody tops the Russians -- their chopper fleet is the stuff of legends (we're pretty sure we've got enough missiles to shoot them all down, though, so rest easy). They make some really nice airframes, though, gotta give 'em that.

I wouldn't mind flying any of those other planes you mentioned -- most especially the Warthog -- but still, not my first choice. Of course it's like picking between a Ferarri and a Bugatti, and I'm well aware how much ass all my options kick -- lots of ass, no matter which way I kick it. I just prefer to kick it with the spec ops guys.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Waaaaah. I got my flight cancelled today because someone broke the first plane and dropped a ring *somewhere* in the spare.... and I was going to do spins and everything today. But the good news is, I totally did, like, eight loops yesterday. Awesome. I think the 12-hour days are killing me slowly, though....
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

congrats man, hope it all works out. dont rule out uav flying either....things could turn that direction fast. one day they may just decide to have all flying done from a desk with a stick.
ive got a few friends that fly, one is an eagle pilot, another gets to tear the crap out of the world in a hornet.....massive jealousness there.
good luck at the osprey, when i first saw the cockpit of that thing it had so many buttons it looked like darth vader's bathroom gone crazy. not to mention the 8 zillion hydraulic lines running through that bird. i hear its about the toughest thing to fly, but if you can fly it, you can fly anything.

my daughter is in rotc now, looking at going into cyber security for the usaf after college. she's not into flying, but she can hack!

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users