• You cannot reply to this topic

Best/worst vest configurations Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Huntsman 

• Huntsman
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Huntsman 227

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

Ive been drooling over Spec Ops many awesome vests for a long time, they really do have every need covered, I just don't have the money to be able to own one for myself with everything I need/want at the moment. :dodgy:

Basically I'm curious as to what you guys (and girls) think about vests, and what configurations you think are the best and worst and what you think I should get B)
Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time, so lets get wasted and have he time of our lives.|92% of the teen population would be dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If you are of the 8% that would be laughin your butt off, put this in your sig| 9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to metal, put this in your sig.

#2 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

All depends on what you are doing. Or what your position is.

#3 User is offline   paintman161 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintman161

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

I Would try going for a molle setup, this way you can configure it to your liking, also you can add more too it later down the road when your funds build back up. It gives you endless possibilities. I own a BT merc vest and love it! Used it in 3 scenarios and many home games.

#4 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

I rock the no-vest system.

Its the lightest vest on the market
Completely customizable
Never gets in the way
Offers more movement than any other vest available
It matches any color clothing your wearing already
Its easy to put on
Its super easy to clean
Its guaranteed for life
Will never feel uncomfortable

And it only cost $19.95!
But wait, there is more!
We will send you another no-vest system absolutely free if you call within the next 10 minutes.
And while your on the line, ask about getting our super no-light flashlight as our free gift, just pay extra shipping and handling!
Just call (555)323-7892!

S+H fee $13.97

The no-vest system is not actually a vest, if you send us the money we will inform you as to how to it works. You will not receive anything in the mail. The no-light flashlight does not produce light either, in fact we inform you go go outside during the day so you dont have to use a flashlight at all.

Call NOW!

#5 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

View PostXakk, on Jan 3 2010, 12:08 PM, said:

I rock the no-vest system.

Its the lightest vest on the market
Completely customizable
Never gets in the way
Offers more movement than any other vest available
It matches any color clothing your wearing already
Its easy to put on
Its super easy to clean
Its guaranteed for life
Will never feel uncomfortable

And it only cost $19.95!
But wait, there is more!
We will send you another no-vest system absolutely free if you call within the next 10 minutes.
And while your on the line, ask about getting our super no-light flashlight as our free gift, just pay extra shipping and handling!
Just call (555)323-7892!

S+H fee $13.97

The no-vest system is not actually a vest, if you send us the money we will inform you as to how to it works. You will not receive anything in the mail. The no-light flashlight does not produce light either, in fact we inform you go go outside during the day so you dont have to use a flashlight at all.

Call NOW!

I think this post belongs in the B/S/T threads! :)

For a helpful answer a little more info on your play style wouldn't hurt. Generally limiting yourself to your real needs is a good idea. my first vest I went over board and it was way too heavy.

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#6 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

lol Yeah, play style would help other people help you.

I play an up front aggressive mix of speed ball and woods ball so for me I go with little to nothing other than a 2 dye lock lid drop leg style pod pack, a squeegee and the occasional grenade.

Aka, Im a bad influence on this forum lol :)

#7 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Take it as you will the first thing I learned to drop off my set up was a hydro bag. Unless your at a MEGA event like D-Day or the like you can do without and every pint of water is approximately a pound of weight. Don't carry more pods than you need on you, even a heavy gunner needs some mobility. If your main field's respawn point is near the parking lot try to keep extra loaded pods there and just switch out while waiting to re-insert. If not you could use an old suit case to hold extra pods and leave it at the respawn point.(preferably a locking one you can zip tie to a tree!) Utility pouches are like the junk drawer of a vest, if you have one you will find things to put in it whether you need them or not, be conservative with these as well. If you play in a team that uses radios heavily a radio pouch can be useful, otherwise drop this as well. A reconfigurable set up like a MOLLE base or the like will let you tailor your needs on a game by game biases, but costs more to set up to begin. I believe its worth the expense in the end as it allows you to have many different vests for less than buying multiple preset vests.
All of this could be a moot point though, because you should first ask yourself this question. Can I buy a paintball vest and still have money for paint and field fees this weekend? cus if not the best piece of gear is another days play....

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#8 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

View Postarchanglmikel, on Jan 3 2010, 04:11 PM, said:

the best piece of gear is another days play....

+1
Cannot be more true. When it comes to your marker, spend the money to make it work, however, extra stuff like vests, pods, sights, stocks, etc. Spend the money on another days play if you can. Experience is always better than gear. Prime example are the pump players on the forum. :)

#9 User is offline   Huntsman 

• Huntsman
  • Pip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Cheers guys this is all really helping! :happy:
My playing style is more steady and if a little too cautious at times, i dont use a lot of paint, one to two pods+ my hopper will usually more than do me for a days playing. I like to mix it up though, playing stealthy :ninja: one game then taking the enemy by surprise and playing aggressively, charging :panzer: and generally running lots, the next.
I do have a pod pack at the moment but its uncomfortable, slips off my waist (im not a very wide guy, think of a pole with arms and legs) and is generally a pain to play with. I play with a remote which makes things a lot easier but can get annoying with the crappy pod pack, I do spend quite a bit of time playing low, that is crawling and lying flat behind trees :ghillie: . There the pod pack is useful as there's nothing to dig into my chest while im lying there but it does tend to flop to one side
We don't get to play a lot of games but when we do we make a good go of it, playing 5-6 games, each lasting 1-2 hours (I play outlaw with a few of my mates any given day we can)
Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time, so lets get wasted and have he time of our lives.|92% of the teen population would be dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If you are of the 8% that would be laughin your butt off, put this in your sig| 9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to metal, put this in your sig.

#10 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

Sounds like your best bet is going to be a MOLLE ranger rack... something along the lines of a ranger chest rack, or something similar- although both the nxe 'light infantry' vest and the BT static vest might both fit the bill- as neither are very heavy, and they'll handle paint, air and water easily enough (I play in NC, and so I carry a hydro bladder, even for walk on play- in the summer, it's retardedly easy to dehydrate here).

Personally, I'd lean towards the BT vest, if only because it's got a MOLLE system, and the NXe vest doesn't, meaning if you ever change styles significantly, you'd have to get anew vest with the NXE, whereas with the BT it *might* still work for you.

The OTHER option is, if you have some money, shoot for a NXe Extraction vest system- again, it's very modular, which is a big advantage- and it'd handle any kind of load you needed it to pretty easily.

Of course, like archanglmikel said, You need to be careful about just buying pouches- ESPECIALLY POD POUCHES. I know you're not me, but I always find myself looking at a few unused ones I have going "I bet I can carry 18 pods and get away with it" (most I've ever shoehorned onto my vest, at least, in such a way I could get to them all feasibly in a game, for those who were wondering is 20 140 round pods and 4 100 round pods, counting drop-leg carriers.) Generally speaking, though, I can get everything I reasonably need for a Long game (specifically, Dday) into 2 util pouches. that's spare batteries, Special K bars and beef jerky, My grip frame allen keys, map, Pull-through squeege, and anything else I might need. For walk-on play? I just leave 'em empty.

This post has been edited by Ethrealwolf: 04 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#11 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

View PostHuntsman, on Jan 3 2010, 11:13 PM, said:

I do have a pod pack at the moment but its uncomfortable, slips off my waist (im not a very wide guy, think of a pole with arms and legs) and is generally a pain to play with.

Im 6'0 and 150lb lacking body fat, I know what your talking about. Which is why I use a drop leg pod pack. It doesnt sit on your waist and is more comfortable to run with. The only disadvantage is that they are small(2 pods), However, you say that you play conservatively, so it shouldnt be a problem. Im not saying dont go vest, but I am saying that a drop leg pack might be your answer. They are also great for crawling(I do that more in speedball than I do in woodsball lol). You can also look into some good pants! Ive found that speedball pants have just enough pockets. 2 squeegee pockets/monster slim-jim pockets.
2 deep zippered pockets for a grenade and spare parts/tools/batteries. And, the best part, many of them come in camo and are padded! Just something to think about. :ghillie: You never know what you will like until after you have used it, so find a proshop if you can and do some testing!

#12 User is offline   Huntsman 

• Huntsman
  • Pip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

Cheers Ethrealwolf for the advice! incredibly helpful, same goes to all you guys in this thread! :D
I'm seriously thinking about the drop leg pod pack, maybe even a pouch? that way I could either run with a light vest or my pod pack or drop my bottle in there and stap it down. I already have a full set of spec Ops digi camo gear, ultralight top and fusion 7 pants I believe and I agree the pockets are the best! I can fit my squeege, rag for wiping gog shots (after the game of course) and any other bulky stuff I'll probably end up needing on the field lol.
It gets really hot here too in NZ but luckily the games are usually over by the time I get too thirsty, I'm not too worried about weight, as far as I can see it'll just make me stronger for the next game. We do a lot of walking/running and lugging around my gear is about the only regular exercise i get :rolleyes:
Thanks guys, please keep the great advice coming! :happy:

#13 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:57 AM

here is a pretty good review on the BT - http://www.modernintel.ca/reviews/video-re...t-merc-vest/70/

I personally at first bought a Tippmann Scout and liked it other than everything is not movable, i recently bought a RAP4 TacTen vest and love it so far, its back and sides are MOLLE set-up and the front are these velcro and buttons. sectionals...i think I am at the mercy of RAP4 for the front but the back and sides i buy add-on's anywhere.
http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/tactical-...mo-regular-size

I did like the inter Velcro belt in the Tippmann vest that the RAP4 does not have.

I suggest you look on you-tube for review and do a little research, some of them ARE NOT cheap but allot of times you get what you pay for.

This post has been edited by sousey: 05 January 2010 - 04:59 AM

#14 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

Molle platforms are the way to go. I've changed my setup 4-5 times now, all w/ basically the same pouches. For big games I can throw a couple more pods on - or just run w/ a few 50 rounders on my chest for open play games. Mounting accessory pouches as needed (or removing them when not) is a piece of cake as well. I've had 3 different tank configurations on my back & tried it once on my leg. Speaking of legs, be cautious of mounting a tank on your leg if you like to move a lot & be fast. Having only 2 pounds on your back can actually feel like 20 pounds when you strap it on your leg.

This post has been edited by ger: 05 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#15 User is offline   chaosheld 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

to get a vest really depends on how u play. i thought i really needed one a few years ago and bought good one (a really nice molle set up) but now ive used it twice. i found out that i didn't carry as much as i thought i would in a game. the vest got in my way and was half empty any way. i now use a custom/homemade system.

6+1 harness (for pods and tank w/ remote) 1 pod holder holds a water bottle w/ a hydro line connected
some suspenders for cabela's with shell rings and 3 dump pouches on them. this holds 12 gram co2, tools, map, radio
its hooked to the harness to even out weight
molle leg holster dock (no holister only pouches) for nads, energy bars, ect

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users