• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stiffi vs. C-Series Comparison Side By Side! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

So I was inspired by the many "what's the difference" threads, and wrote this as a reply to a post just now, but I believe it would make a good overview of the two barrels. So...

On my desk here I have a 10" Stiffi and a 14" C-Series. I will go into detail on how they differ.

Weight
Unfortunately it is hard for me to compare the weights of the two since they are different lengths. However I would imagine that a C-Series of the same length would be heavier than its Stiffi counterpart. The threaded aluminum portion is longer on the C-Series than on the Stiff. In addition, the C-Series has an aluminum piece affixed to the end of the barrel for attaching those cute (and otherwise useless) barrel tips.

But lets be honest with ourselves, they're both so darned light that it really doesn't make any difference.

Materials
As far as a paintball is concerned they are both the same material. Why? Because the paintball will only ever touch the fiberglass resin (or "E-Glass", as Stiffi calls is, maybe they have a special formulation of resin they use, I don't know) but will never touch the carbon fiber or kevlar underneath it.

On the C-Series there is a kevlar or carbon fiber layer exposed on the outside to give it texture. On the Stiffi it's clear, smooth resin. According to SpecOps the weave used in the C-Series is kevlar. I have no way of confirming this but I'm going to assume it's true. What does this mean? It means it's neat. That's about it. It doesn't really give any advantage over standard carbon fiber in this particular case. Perhaps it's stronger as a result, but carbon fiber is already plenty strong enough for this use.

Porting
The C-Series has three parallel lines of porting going halfway down the end of the barrel. The Stiff has the same porting except near the tip of the barrel where it has six parallel lines of porting. The holes are the same size on each barrel.

Bore
Internally, Stiffis have a "stepped bore" design. In other words, the first part of the barrel is the advertised bore size and the second part of the barrel is slightly wider. If you look down the barrel from the threaded end it looks like it's smooth. If you look down the barrel from the business end you can see what looks like a ring around the inside. The C-Series is identical to the Stiffi in this case. Even though my Stiffi and C-Series are different lengths the bore changes size roughly 4" from the threads on both of them.

Price
12" C-Series: $58.95 on SpecOps
12" Stiffi: $91.99 on ActionVillage
The C-Series, while still being essentially the same thing as the Stiff, is cheaper.

Conclusion
But what does it all mean, Basil? It means that, side by side, the two barrels should perform nearly the same in almost every aspect. They are, without over analyzing things to the extreme that I have, the same barrel. I hope this clears everything up. Also, both of my barrels are .691 and they both shoot paint well. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two from a performance standpoint. It also might be worth pointing out that the fancy tips (the ones that aren't flat, anyway) for the C-Series make getting a barrel cover on more difficult.

This post has been edited by BlueDragonX: 18 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#2 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:27 PM

moved to reviews
better suited for that area
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#3 User is offline   paintball7410 

• headshot
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipingmadcow

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

nice comparison, on a price stand- point i would say go for the c- series if you have a gun that the barrel fits, not because its nicer or better, but because the c series is cheaper.

#4 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:52 AM

Well, for all intents and purposes they're the same thing, so getting the C-Series would be of benefit to your wallet.

"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#5 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:06shocker&ion

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

Nice comparison, although in the beginning you said the tips you put on the end of the C-series is not only used for looks but for to protect the end of the barrel being that it is carbon fiber, the carbon fiber strips when scrapped against something like a rock or a tree and even when the barrel goes into the dirt. Is it possible you could fix in a SLY barrel review in there?

#6 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

If I had a Sly I would, but I don't, so I can't.

#7 User is offline   Steel Tiger 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Steel Tiger

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

View PostBlueDragonX, on Oct 14 2007, 09:52 AM, said:

Well, for all intents and purposes they're the same thing, so getting the C-Series would be of benefit to your wallet.

still, you might want to add something about the price. It just completes the topic.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

View PostSteel Tiger, on May 13 2008, 04:47 PM, said:

View PostBlueDragonX, on Oct 14 2007, 09:52 AM, said:

still, you might want to add something about the price. It just completes the topic.

K, done. Although, that's just something people should be doing in the first place. In any case, prices vary from store to store, for varying lengths, and differing styles/colors. None of those things really changes the performance characteristics. Really all that needs to be said is the C-Series is cheaper while essentially being the same thing.

This post has been edited by BlueDragonX: 13 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

#9 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

That is why I would just spend the same amount of money for a stiffi and buy a deadly wind. I love mine so far. I just havent been impressed with stiffi's line of products. Though the bolts are nice just really expensive.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

#10 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

View PostBlueDragonX, on Jun 4 2007, 08:47 PM, said:

I have a 10" Stiff

...Unfortunately it is hard for me...

Just wondering if you could update your spelling...and use a different choice of wording? Sounds like you have a couple unintended innuendoes.

Good review. I would just like to know what the results were on the barrels other than: "Can't tell the difference" is...well...a little vague. What were the grouping results for Barrel A and Barrel B? What distance was it tested?

This post has been edited by Charlie Echo: 18 May 2008 - 08:51 PM

#11 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

View PostCharlie Echo, on May 18 2008, 10:36 PM, said:

View PostBlueDragonX, on Jun 4 2007, 08:47 PM, said:

I have a 10" Stiff

Just wondering if you could update your spelling...and use a different choice of wording?

Spelling updated.

If you're offended by the choice of name then I suggest you contact the company manufacturing them. Though I doubt you'll convince them to change anything as I'm fairly certain they're accomplishing what they're after with the present name.

#12 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

hold on. I was editing my post and wasn't done yet. hit the wrong button while I was previewing which is now edited.

Just wondering if you could update your spelling...and use a different choice of wording? Sounds like you have a couple unintended innuendoes. ha ha.

Good review. I would just like to know what the results were (if it's available) on the barrels other than: "Can't tell the difference" is...well...a little vague. What were the grouping results for Barrel A and Barrel B? What distance was it tested? The review leaves off with how it is constructed without concrete performance results.

BTW - Since you got moved to reviews. Just a small request.

#13 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

View PostCharlie Echo, on May 18 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Just wondering if you could update your spelling...and use a different choice of wording? Sounds like you have a couple unintended innuendoes. ha ha.

No innuendo was intended. It's hard to avoid sounding as if there is, though, with such a name.

View PostCharlie Echo, on May 18 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Good review. I would just like to know what the results were (if it's available) on the barrels other than: "Can't tell the difference" is...well...a little vague. What were the grouping results for Barrel A and Barrel B? What distance was it tested? The review leaves off with how it is constructed without concrete performance results.

They're the same barrel. Thus they will perform the same.

This is a review not a scientific test of the barrels. I don't have what I need to test the two barrels in the same environment. No shooting bench, different threads so I can't run them on the same gun, etc.

Furthermore, consistency will be more greatly effected by the paint and the marker; it will be very minimally effected by the barrel.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users