Special Ops Paintball: a flair for the dramatic - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

a flair for the dramatic inspiring the troops, or just plain crazy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Post icon  Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

as a commander, your job is to lead the men in your command towards eventual victory. But sometimes your men are unwilling or reluctant to follow your lead (afraid of getting shot or something along those lines), and this is where i like to add a little dramatic flair to accent my command. How many of you have had players that hunker down in the first piece of cover they can find, with the intent of waiting for the Opfor to arrive? i know i have, and most times the opfor is far off enough that their paint can't even reach you. This is the time that i like to leave cover and start pacing up and down my line, urging my men to move up. They all look at me like i'm crazy, just begging to get hit. but after a couple seconds they realize that the enemy can't hit me (yet....) and inspired by insanity, they move forward. I've pulled this move with noob walk-ons and have experience stellar results. I've used this move at D-Day once or twice, and pushed back the German lines several times. Granted, at D-day they see me with my large A-T tube screaming obscenities at the Germans (no offense Germans, it's strictly business :P ) and they really get into it.

Has anyone else experienced or tried using dramatic flair?
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#2 User is offline   magnadoid 

• Shot God
  • PipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

My team does not question my orders. When I am in charge I make sure that others know that by the way my voice sounds. I take a very stern voice when I issue orders. Also a lot of my orders tend to keep my team members alive because I value them not getting shot and I will not put them in situations that do risk them getting shot. When we do go on "suicidal" missions, which we try to get one in every scenario, I make sure that they know that we are doing it for kicks. This usually eases the air on knowing that they are going to get shot because we all try going down in the funniest way possible on these missions.
You will never see it coming!

if you've ever gotten shot in the crotch, put this in your sig!
blkob on rap4 forums

#3 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

i take a more laid back approach to directing my guys. we are out there to have fun, so if i went around yelling at them like a drill sarge, half of 'em would up and quit on me. Not saying that the whole stern voice thing doesn't work, it just isn't my style. Still, most of the time me guys listen without me having to get all theatrical. but more often than not i end with with some walk-ons, of of the guys brings his GF out for the 1st time, or i end up taking command of a small unit at D-Day that doesn't know what to do since their leader got taken out. that's when i break out the theatrical bits, besides it's fun!
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#4 User is offline   magnadoid 

• Shot God
  • PipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

When I say stern I do not mean that I get in there faces and yell like a Drill Sarg. I am stern in a way that leaves no room for questions. At the Wayne's World Grand Finale last year, my team was with our Scenario game XO, he was in leading a group of around 100 or so peeps to the enemy command base. He was marked at around the middle of the field. In 5 minutes the numbers went from 100 to just below 50. So I took command because we were obviously going to all get marked if some one did not take command. I lead that group up to the enemy base captured it and killed the opposing General. All because when I took command I had that stern voice that said "hey I am in charge not listen to me".

blkob on rap4 forums

#5 User is offline   OP4delta 

• Squad Commando
  • PipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

View PostEagle Eye, on Sep 30 2008, 10:08 PM, said:

if i went around yelling at them like a drill sarge, half of 'em would up and quit on me.

I am a drill sarge...in cadets...3/4 of my team is in cadets and are used to me yelling/yelling themselves. we are fairly noisy, especially in speedball, and no-one can understand us.

#6 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

My team doesn't need anything more than my orders.

The other players on the side we're playing for, however, is another matter.

My team is fairly well known for "flair for the dramatic" but we typically don't use the drill sergeant approach. It's more of an act of pure stupidity and over-the-topness that inspires our team to press on. For example, during one big game in our area we had a "mash" unit (mobile insertion point, run to it, tag, you're back in like at your HQ) at the back of the formation. We needed to take a location for points, and our side was just hanging back shooting at them.

We needed to charge, we could charge (as the insertion for us was right there with the MASH present, not so for the enemy), so I did... with nothing but a paint grenade. After throwing it and making a big scene (and then being tagged out), I ran back, inserted at the MASH unit, then charged again. This time, the other players present joined. We overran the position and won the game with the points scored.
Member of Team Akkadian

#7 User is offline   Eggmoe 

• They call me "Runs With No Pants"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Eggmoe

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

To me, you'd have to prove your leadership. Play your squad in a quick skirmish.

#8 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

Just a quick note: i wrote this originally for another topic a long time ago...i recently revised it for a report on an English assignment. I somewhat applies to this. More to inspire newer players than to describe a flare for drama...although I'm known for my craziness at times (playing in a bear suit):rolleyes: .
The question arises to not only commanders but general paintball players as well. How do I get the new guys to actually listen to me under fire? Most experienced players have run into this during a game. But how do approach such a sticky issue.
Lead by example is the best way to entice a new player to listen to you. If he is told, charge that bunker, I'll cover you. What does he think? Most likely along the lines of, “What are you crazy! I'm not risking that! Forget you!" On the other hand, they probably would be willing to cover you in that charge. Just tell them where you want the fire, then count to three out-loud.
Trust is earned. The best way to do that is to put your life on the line for the player. Another way to earn your teammates trust is to earn the respect of the opponent. When the other team is afraid of you, your teammate’s confidence level will rise dramatically. The nice thing about trust is, your teammates actually react faster. It is quicker to clear a ball from your chamber than to debate the logic behind moving five feet to his right.
New players have to see something before they do something. If they see someone charge a bunker and survive. They know they can do it too. Have patience with these guys. Threatening to shoot them only makes an enemy out of you. New players will log that in their memory and note it for later. Also, after the game its not very edifying to hear,”That guy threatened to shoot me if I didn't do what he told me." That kind of gossip will not go well for you.
Next time, try something else. Under fire making those quick decisions, the flow of movement comes to a halt when someone says no. The temptation to threaten under fire is very strong. But think of another way to entice someone that says they are unable to do something. Usually you end up turning to another teammate and asking them to do it. If push comes to shove you do it yourself. Most people don't like risking themselves or their guys. Most of the time that hurts more than it helps. Newer players have that caution ingrained in them. Most of the time, the player is afraid he will get hit.
The best way to get a newer player to listen is to send him with one of your teammates. He will see what your teammate does and how he trusts your judgment. More often than not, that newer player will have a great respect for you then. Next time instead of wailing about how he is going to get hit, he might actually listen and rise to the occasion. Even better yet, he might even volunteer.

This post has been edited by platinum marksman: 07 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#9 User is offline   magnadoid 

• Shot God
  • PipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

View PostEggmoe, on Oct 2 2008, 10:52 PM, said:

To me, you'd have to prove your leadership. Play your squad in a quick skirmish.

How does that relate to the topic?

blkob on rap4 forums

#10 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

just a clarification: i'm asking you guys for stories, not to criticize.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

View PostOP4delta, on Oct 1 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

View PostEagle Eye, on Sep 30 2008, 10:08 PM, said:

if i went around yelling at them like a drill sarge, half of 'em would up and quit on me.

I am a drill sarge...in cadets...3/4 of my team is in cadets and are used to me yelling/yelling themselves. we are fairly noisy, especially in speedball, and no-one can understand us.

Hahaha, I love cadidiots :-). JROTC I assume, Army?
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#12 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

View PostEagle Eye, on Oct 7 2008, 12:26 PM, said:

just a clarification: i'm asking you guys for stories, not to criticize.

Thick skin Eagle Eye -- thick skin. Nobody here is trying to flame you, we are better than that in this section. But, as Commanders we all strive for many things, and one of those is continual improvement.

I'll give you a good example of what I mean.

My old unit in in the Oregon Guard just got a new platoon leader. Brand new 2LT, just out of OCS, only prior experience was a few years with the navy reserve I think as an enlisted guy -- satellite somethin or other. Anyways, here he is, no prior service with the Army or any other combat arms branch and no Infantry experience. Our unit is Infantry by the way.

Anyways, it's Annual Training 2008 in Idaho (can't remember the name of the base) and we're training for desert warfare (duh). About 60-80% of our NCO's are not at AT cause they're at some school (mostly wlc or bncoc) so we're very understrength and our PL doesn't have a lot of experience to stand on, so he's trying to figure this out on his own. A lot of room for personal growth here. Anyways, where was I? Oh yeah, thick skin.

So we're doing a convoy operation (route security or somethin like that) and the PL is so wrapped up in ROE that he (in my opinion) fails to trust the Soldiers under him. Our .50 cal gun truck is in the middle of the convoy (don't ask me why he put it in the middle instead of the front) and a vehicle starts approaching, driving very fast and erratically. When the vehicle is 200 meters out, our .50 cal truck fires a warning burst over the vehicle (blank rounds of course, and as per our SOP). The vehicle does not stop and continues heading straight for the convoy, so the .50 cal opens up on the vehicle.

Our PL starts yelling over the radio "DO NOT FIRE UNLESS FIRED UPON." This is an outdated ROE that is the basis for all the tactical SOP, but is not the letter of the law. Instead of directing the convoy, keeping the net clear so he can receive contact reports, 9 lines and the like, he just keeps yelling as we're firing on this vehicle (which was "destroyed") "DO NOT FIRE UNLESS FIRED UPON!"

Needless to say, the exercise went pretty poorly (and I might say, at no fault to the Soldiers of the unit -- we all performed our jobs as we were ordered to) and during the AAR, the PL (who outranked the OC guy who was giving the AAR) got extremely butt hurt over the whole thing (pardon my french) and the CO had to pull him aside and have a talk while the rest of the AAR was given.

Now, if he had just taken this as a LEARNING experience (which is what training is -- learning) and just had a bit of thick skin, the AAR would have gone smoothly, he wouldn't have embarassed himself in front of his peers, superior officers, and subordinates, and we all might have had a little more respect for him, which is very dangerous to not have of your leaders.

Now, another thing I might point out -- this is paintball, not the Army. And this forum is free, so it's not like anybody is wasting money here. So take criticism as a chance to learn and improve yourself. There is always room for improvement with our jobs.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#13 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

look, i'm all for constructive criticism, but the point of this forum topics was to share funny stories when we pull something like out of the movies

and by the way Saifoda, you might need to explain all the acronyms for the non-military folk here, lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   DaggerofBWUK 

• Theknightofbwuk-dagger styley
  • PipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

I'm what I like to call a dagger commander.

I've had some really strange moments where my team have been pinned down and I felt as safe as houses (not because I was in the 'dead' hut), last month when my group of 12 went to the local woodsball field we were playing CTF and we were 25 feet from the flag, which was positioned infront of the enemy bunker. We had 5 minutes, my team were pinned down by three men in the bunker two in the ditch to the right flank and a sniper which we couldn't locate. I was only wearing a white tee, my tac vest and a pair of cheap black cargos, I wasn't exactly camoflauged or armoured and yet I found myself walking across the battlefield with no cover and taking crack shots at the opfor behind the bunker. It could have been the adrenaline, but I managed to inspire my team to stand and shoot rather than play a fighting retreat which was the only other option. I then proceeded to pick my cousin up from under cover (he's 12) and hide him behind me as I roared a battlecry and advanced with all guns blazing. We actually scared the opfor out the bunker and my cousin then made the run back to base with the flag.
Only problem with this is that I was in the zone, not noticing anyone bar the safety of my cousin. So when I turned to see my right side flankers walking to the dead hut and my best mate running after my cousin while shooting, I was pretty PERTURBED. Then I noticed I was out of ammo :laugh: .
The reason we won the match is because my cousin is small and my mate hasn't drilled himself in the art of shooting while running.

That combined with the CTF match afterwards got me the nickname of 'Terminator', in the match afterwards I managed to pop a smoke, dodge the fire of the three opfor camping the flag and run i back to base without getting hit in the last minute of the game.
"May be the new kid on the block
but that don't really matter
'Cos I is from Gloucestershire
and I can drive a tra-ar"

#15 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

As far as playing with a flair for the dramatic, if you count dressing up in a bear suit(see ave) and playing then yes...the one game I did this my mask fogged instantly due to the foam head of the bear. So I wasn't much use to my team other than being a target. But I was a pretty good target. The entire opposition was so occupied with shooting the "blind" bear that my team was able to take them out rather quickly. The refs on the sideline couldn't stop laughing. They said that when I would peak out behind cover my entire head would stick out looking quite curious. The refs and my team loved. Haven';t done it since though...

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users