Special Ops Paintball: Where did all the paintballers go? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where did all the paintballers go? Where did all the paintballers go Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

The paintballers in our area has greatly diminished.Talking to several others appears to be the same.Where has everyone gone?That is the question.Anyone who has NOT been paintballing yet this year, or knows ANYONE who hasn't,please state the nature of your inability to play;Economy, no money to play,injury, disease,lack of interest,Your too good,or you have become a sissy and can't take it anymore,your hen pecked and you can't come out and play,or what ever the reason,please help us others to understand and have some hope you are all coming back.Thanks for your input.

#2 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

Got to dang expensive for me. And after I quit every one else around here slowly stopped playing....and 4 fields shut down.
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Went with the economy. The fields nearby all had to close because no one could play, also due to the economy. The fields closing crapped on me not just because I have to drive a good ways to play now, but because I worked at the closest one. No job= no cash= no paintball for me
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#4 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Every extra $$ is going in everyones gas tank now.4 fields??Not good !Was the expense knocking out everyone else too do you think??

#5 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Life would be so much more fun if you didn't have to work and make money to live it!

#6 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

yeah every one else couldn't afford it any more...i mean we were sponsored and every thing.....we just all grew up, quit spending our paychecks on paintball, and it died VERY fast around here....sad
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

It will pick up again in a couple months, although maybe this year will be slower than next year...

Wait until the kids in school get summer jobs and can afford to go out and play, it may be proper paintball weather, but it's not always the season, ya know?

#8 User is offline   Incognito 

• Using Less Than 100 Paintballs A Day
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

I've been out of the game because I've been deployed for a year. But when I get back, I plan on starting up again full speed ahead! I already am stocking up on gear to get ready.

EDIT: Economy wise, I usually play stock class, so a bag of paintballs will last me a month. That's the way to do it if you don't want the wallet to hurt too much.

This post has been edited by Incognito: 09 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

~Christian Paintballer~CPPA Member #3565~Stock Class Paintballer~Automaggot~My Feedback
Posted Image
The Family: VSC Phantom, PGP, Classic Automag, Autococker, Pumpcocker
U.S. Army Infantry: Because Someone Needs to Take Out the Trash

#9 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

It's a combination of things.

The economy is really bad right now. It's no secret. That means luxury items and discretionary income go out the window. I've played a total of once this year (though I won some free paint out of the deal, so now I get to go another 1-2 times to burn it all)

For me, this is my biggest problem. I have to spend just under $20 in gas for a round trip to my favorite local field (and the other competition isn't that much closer either). Then tack on the $15-20 field fee. Then tack on paint at $65/case FPO.

You're looking at a hundred dollar day for just walk on play. Arguably, you could cut it down some by using less paint, but best possible case (buying a bag of paint for all day) it's still a $60 day, all expenses counted.

I can't afford to do that all the time, or even fairly often. It's not the field's fault, and if I could go more I would because I like the field and want to support the business.

A second factor is that a lot of the kids are still in school, and a lot of the college students are in and around finals week. Give it a few more weeks and the numbers will start going up.
Member of Team Akkadian

#10 User is offline   Riddler 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

I've been playing pretty regularly this year so far. Thankfully, my local fields are doing ok. I've been seeing more of an increase in local pump play than a loss of attendance, which is awesome.

#11 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

my biggest issue is life. I have money set aside to play paintball on average once or twice a month. BUT I have to work one weekend out of the year, I have a new son who we only get to spend all day together on Saturday's, I play music, and band practice takes presidence.... that sorta thing. I wish I simply had one extra day to play.

#12 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

Same as Riddler... there's a pretty strong community here in Western PA / Eastern OH - so we haven't seen too much of a drop off in players over the last few years. Pump play has definitely increased so that might have something to do w/ keeping some players around, but that's been offset a bit by a lot more players getting into higher-end electros though.

I think the difference in our area is the diversity of the crowds. Everything from 13 yr old renters to 60 yr old veterans w/ everything in between. 20+ yr old guys just out of college who played a few times in H.S. but want to check it out again will find a field full of players & that gives them the chance to work their way up to full-timers themselves. It's a good strong cycle we're in right now. If a local community is built mostly on 15-18 yr olds, those guys are going to be off to college/workforce & out of the sport very shortly. If they do want to come back then it would be like them starting all over again unless they were doing a good job of recruiting younger replacements back when they were in H.S.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#13 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

Geography also plays a big factor in how well paintball does. Here in Kingston we have a field just outside the city limits. 15 minutes by car, which I don't have. It would take me about 90 minutes to get there by cycling, but who wants to be worn out before they play? No buses go out that way.

I'd pay an extra $5.00 for shuttle service from their store to the field if they had one. We also have a large out of town school population that supplements the high elderly population. the majority of old people don't play and the students leave around the same time as the season opens.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#14 User is offline   scurvy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SCURVY

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

I think that most paintballers fall into two categories. There are committed paintballers that play on teams or at least have their own gear, and there are causal walk-on paintballers that play whenever a group is going, or a couple of times a year when they can. Both groups sustain the industry. The pro shops stay open mostly because of the committed players, and the fields stay open mainly because of the rental players. I think there will always be more casual players, because paintball is a demanding sport, both mentally, physically and economically. Accessibility is the key, and keeping causal players involved is important.
Learning curves, technological advantages, time commitments, and other factors that prevent smooth transition from one group to the other. The sport lives or dies because people make that transition. Most of us fluctuate between groups if we keep playing. Disposable income and free time are the largest factors in whether paintball thrives, and how much each of us can stay involved in paintball.
People have different reasons for getting into paintball, but most leave because of a shortage of time or money. As we get older, we get pulled in different directions. More things are competing for our scarce resources. We also tend to do what our friends do, and as we spend less time with our friends who are playing paintball, it becomes less important. A little bad blood between players goes a long way to making paintball less important.
Paintball demands commitment. It usually takes up most of a day when you play, and afterwards, you want to get cleaned up before you do anything else. Its also one of the more expensive ways to spend that much time. Add to that the fact that there are hundreds of other things that the same time and money could go to, and the temptation to drop paintball becomes clear. Paintball has to be a pretty high priority for people to stay with it.
Some day people will have the money to make paintball accessible to causal players again. Its up to the rest of us committed players to see to it that fields and shops are still around when they do. I think we should all help other players and support local fields and shops when we can. If we do that, then maybe paintball will be better for all of us.
AMAT VICTORIA CURAM

#15 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

The biggest reason really is the economy. Just give it time. When the economy picks up, so will paintball. B)

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users