Special Ops Paintball: Sabre and flatline - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sabre and flatline your thoughts since im thinking about tryingit out Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

basically the title, post on your experences with the model 98 or A-5 flatline system playing sabre and especially those with response triggers since that is what i have
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#2 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:59 AM

for you, i wouldnt get a flatline because you are going to be doing everything, not just laying down fire like a heavy riflemen. you should get a regular barrel, maybe 12''. also with the flatline, the barrel is harder on the balls (it has a rough inside) and you will be going through too much paint to keep on buying the higher grade paint. Thats my say.
04 RX8 is my baby

#3 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

my friend is a sniper/broadsword (i know, odd combo), and he has an a-5 flatline and a response (for when he plays broadsword). i borrowed his gun once, and it was excellent for sabre. i especially liked the extra range.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

Unless you play in really dense woods, I don't see the flatline trade off being very advantageous. They will be less accurate than a standard barrel. All you have to do in order to gain that extra range is angle your marker up. Once you get used to how your marker performs, you can do this second nature. Provided you don't have any branches in the way- you will be able to shoot paint as far as you need to in a more accurate fashion with a standard barrel.

The maximum range of a paintball marker is up to about 300 feet with a standard barrel, in most cases engagements will be under 100 feet. Unless you are expelling out huge quantities of paint, the extra range of a flatline is defeated by its accuracy as the accuracy at those extreme ranges is rather poor and even more so with a flatline barrel.

I'm not saying don't consider it though - they can make playing easier as they take out a big human factor in determining how much to elevate your marker. Just be aware of the drawbacks associated with it.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#5 User is offline   Wanted 

• Team Iced
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

It all depends on the field really, if the field is more open then a flatline would be a better choice. If its more of a close up fight then go with a regular barrel. I personally would rather go with a lapco bigshot barrel that can accept apex tips. And putting an apex tip on there so I can have the best of both worlds.

Official Sniper #31
Automaggot # 142

#6 User is offline   Never Dead's twin 

• WARPAINT
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BLACK OPS RANGER

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

View PostGuy In Digi Camo, on Dec 3 2007, 10:13 PM, said:

basically the title, post on your experences with the model 98 or A-5 flatline system playing sabre and especially those with response triggers since that is what i have

DO NOT DO IT, I can't really fill in alll the positions and I know becuse I have one, I am now mainly a heavy rifleman, but I am also a master medium and light, get a stiffi barrel barrel like my twin.

This post has been edited by Never Dead's twin: 06 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

#7 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

thanks for the help guys its too cold to play here in alaska but as soon as the season starts ill get out there and try it, ive got plenty of other barrels to choose from.
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#8 User is offline   LCPaintball 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

Its hard to say. Ive played with a flatline for over a year now in this position and will probably never take the barrel off. The accuracy can be a let down at times, or if you have installed the barrel wrong you might as well sit out for the game. It also takes time to get use to how it curves your shots. And if you dont buy higher quality paint then you will be breaking balls very fast. My advice is to try to find a flatline that a friend uses and test it out. In the end its how the player likes it.

#9 User is offline   SNIPADUDE99 

• Stealin a pcinic baskets
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SNIPADUDE99

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:16 AM

Get an APEX, and mont it on an affordable barrel like the lapco bigshot, it will do the same thing as the flatline, and at normal ranges, you can turn the flatline effect off so you have the accurcy of a normal gun. Plus you can adjust the flatline affect with the apex, so you could not put it on at full strength and, and save some accurcy, as opposed to the flatline your stuck with the same effect and accurcy.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

#10 User is offline   Corporal Punishment 

• IM F.U.B.A.R.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:IM F.U.B.A.R.

Post icon  Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

I have used a Flatline on my A-5 for a few years now and I really love it. What others are saying about accuracy and the need for good paint I agree with, you really need to have good, quality paint. My accuracy is actually pretty good to about 75 feet, my brother who also has a A-5 with a Flatline.. not so much. We play on some fields that have dense coverage and the Flatline works well, it also keeps heads down on the open fields :ghillie:

I have heard some say they needed to take off the 2 end screws on their Flatline and realign the barrel, it's not hard if you need to do it.

I Love my Flatline for my A-5, I like my APEX for my X7.

Get a quality barrel and practice a bit, I've played with mine for 3 years and know how it shoots and it is just second nature now.

Yes, you need decent equiptment but it's you that will succeed on the field, not the barrel!

Good Luck!
Can't think of anything good for a sig.

#11 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

Being up in Alaska, you probably play in cooler temps, like in the 40's. I've found that with the flatline, those cooler temps along with paint becoming more fragile, it s bad combination. Pick up an Apex and a J&J Ceramic. Put the Apex tip on it and reap the rewards.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#12 User is offline   Corporal Punishment 

• IM F.U.B.A.R.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:IM F.U.B.A.R.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

View PostKnightwolf16, on Jan 4 2008, 12:44 PM, said:

Being up in Alaska, you probably play in cooler temps, like in the 40's. I've found that with the flatline, those cooler temps along with paint becoming more fragile, it s bad combination. Pick up an Apex and a J&J Ceramic. Put the Apex tip on it and reap the rewards.

Great point Knightwolf.. I play in Wisconsin and in the cold 40 or below, it is a very bad combination.
Can't think of anything good for a sig.

#13 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

I'm in northeastern Ma and play in NH and Ma. The weather can be rather weird in New England and I've learned from multiple games that going with a flatline in cold weather means a lot of busted paint.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#14 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:45 AM

APEX is that mush better then the flatline. But it does have its advangetes, it is not as hard on the ball, and it has more accuracy. The bad thing is that you have to adjust it if you want a different. And i have a friend that has one and he has gotten shot when he was trying to adjust it, i would go with a regular barrel, no attachments, maybe a J&J ceramics. Just my .02
04 RX8 is my baby

#15 User is offline   Huff n Puff 

• Elite Sabre
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HUFF N PUFF

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:53 AM

I don't like the flatline for the 98c. If you need to work on your gun there are a lot of screws to mess with, since I have never been able to unscrew the barrel adapter part. However it is easier to run a squeegee through than an A-5 flatline since you can just bring your feedneck down and run the squeegee through there.

I sometimes use my A-5 flatline. The extra distance is nice at times. It is much easier to take out an A-5 flatline, if I need to I keep the barrel adapter on another barrel so I can quickly swap my flatline for a normal barrel. However, if you break a ball you are screwed, unless you have a squeegee similar to a dye battle swab. On the field during play you won't have tools so you won't be able to take the barrel off, and you have to live with horrible accuracy.

I have mixed feelings, for an A-5 I like it more because in a staging area i can easily take it off and put on a normal barrel.
BTW if you take the time you can get the flatline tuned to reasonable acuracy, but you have to take the time to make adjustments. My flatline's best accuracy is not when the barrel is centered, but instead about 1/8 inch to the right.

Oh, and the cold is not good for your flatline because you will chop paint really bad. Last weekend a kid I know bought a 98c with a flatline and this was his first game with it, I gave him one of my 98c's cause most of his shots broke in the flatline (but it was about 20 degrees out for the high)

This post has been edited by Huff n Puff: 11 January 2008 - 12:56 AM

Elite Team 6 Rocks
Fire? Yes Please

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users