• You cannot reply to this topic

A Letter to KEE Action Sports The Future of Paintball Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Jan 2 2010, 03:33 PM, said:

It's like a rock concert where people want the experience of the event. I personally would like to see more manufacturers show up to these functions.

Me too Slinky - me too. Ask Dwayne what he charged the vendors to participate at D-Day last year :dry:
Never try to corner anything that is meaner than you are

#17 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

View PostPyrate Jim, on Jan 2 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 2 2010, 12:43 PM, said:

My plea with KEE is simply this: They have the cash... well, KEEs backers have the cash... believe me. They are in a position to bring paintball back from the brink. You guys know how many companies have been embraced by KEE thus far, right?

They may have the cash to bring it back, but is it worth it to them?
It's far more likely to come down to income, and if it ain't coming in then the corporate stance is cut the losses.
And if Kee cuts their loss, how many of these businesses they own go down?

The future of paintball is not in the hands of Kee or any other corporation. It's in the hands of the players.

You can take that a step further: And in today's economy - the players need a little more incentive to spend their money.

#18 User is offline   Pyrate Jim 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:18 AM

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 2 2010, 05:33 PM, said:

View PostPyrate Jim, on Jan 2 2010, 01:19 PM, said:

The future of paintball is not in the hands of Kee or any other corporation. It's in the hands of the players.

You can take that a step further: And in today's economy - the players need a little more incentive to spend their money.

Money spent and money spent wisely are two different things.
I never waste cash on "paintball" clothes, army surplus are comfortable, durable and cheap.
I can go to a scenario game and spend 8-10 hours having a great time, and my biggest expense is the fuel to drive there.

I remember paying $2.99 for 10 balls of oil-based paint in a Nelson cigar tube.
Yet now players complain that one-tenth of that is too expensive, and they can't afford to play.

Paintball does not need to be a "big ticket" item, unless you make it into one. Corporations care more about the almighty dollar, they want you to swallow the hype and spend, spend, spend. Like a parasite that feeds on its host until both perish.
CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6

#19 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

A little off topic but Valkin isn't a new company. I am not 100 percent positive on the name they ran under a while back but pretty sure it was APS (American Paintball Supply). They where bought out by KEE and signed an agreement to not reopen for 7 years. They reopened pretty much across the street from KEE.

#20 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

View Postsplntercell, on Jan 3 2010, 05:00 PM, said:

A little off topic but Valkin isn't a new company. I am not 100 percent positive on the name they ran under a while back but pretty sure it was APS (American Paintball Supply). They where bought out by KEE and signed an agreement to not reopen for 7 years. They reopened pretty much across the street from KEE.

In 2006 Gino Postorivo (ya - he's from "Joisey") sold National Paintball (now known as Kee Action Sports) and in 2008 opted to pursue other sports. They are a division of the larger company that manufactures all sorts of sports gear. I think the PB division has maybe 15 -20 employees now.

#21 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 3 2010, 06:44 PM, said:

View Postsplntercell, on Jan 3 2010, 05:00 PM, said:

In 2006 Gino Postorivo (ya - he's from "Joisey") sold National Paintball (now known as Kee Action Sports) and in 2008 opted to pursue other sports. They are a division of the larger company that manufactures all sorts of sports gear. I think the PB division has maybe 15 -20 employees now.

Ya i was just coming back to fix that after i did a little more research. It was one of our old sponsors i just couldn't remember the whole name. As soon as they reopened as Valkin they tried to get us to sign a new sponsorship.

#22 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 2 2010, 04:30 PM, said:

It's like a rock concert where people want the experience of the event. I personally would like to see more manufacturers show up to these functions.

Me too Slinky - me too. Ask Dwayne what he charged the vendors to participate at D-Day last year :huh:

Look at how much of that goes back into the field, the business and everything else. It's not like he's just making a fast buck and bailing out. Consider how much of the D-Day Adventure Park field is being completely revamped as we speak.

#23 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

View PostDigital Pirate, on Jan 4 2010, 10:05 AM, said:

Me too Slinky - me too. Ask Dwayne what he charged the vendors to participate at D-Day last year :huh:

Look at how much of that goes back into the field, the business and everything else. It's not like he's just making a fast buck and bailing out. Consider how much of the D-Day Adventure Park field is being completely revamped as we speak.

NEW SWORD BEACH!

the pointe du hoc or Brecourt I could care less about (sorry pathfinders and rangers- but I don't play up there! lol) But the new caen (with concrete buildings!) and the new sword have me super stoked.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#24 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

As a former professional bmx rider. I find the parallels between the sports amusing at times. I remember in the 90's when "bmx" died. The specialty bike shops stopped carrying high end bmx because all the riders bought it mail order to save a few bucks.

Did it kill the sport?...

Depends on who you ask. All I witnessed was the great riders lost sponsors. As lots of the money left the game. Less availability = less sales overall.

Hard to justify a bmx team when your dealers were switching to mountain bikes.

But, the sport didn't die, the guys having fun just started their own events, and it grew into what you see today.

This is a time of change, with the economy in the dumps and paintball stores dying. We lost our last local shop a few months ago here in Cincy. I broke a ratchet in my cyclone and had to steal parts out of my spare a-5 to get up and running for my event on Saturday.

But, it was the biggest event I have had to date. With over 30 players coming to play woodsball in my backyard. And it was 4 degrees when I got up in the morning...

None of the guys that play with me are sponsored. Or want to be, as we just play monthly during the winter.

We play for fun. We don't have refs, as we play with honor. Many of us play with the $25 a case paint from wal-mart. And it works great. Almost all of us use tippmann, and we have a few spyders. No one carries an expensive gun. We all use Co2.

And we have a blast.

Fun is the key. If your not having fun, your doing it wrong. When you try to turn a hobby into your business you often ruin the fun. If you stay focused on the fun, it will stay good...

I haven't made a dime from paintball. And I've been actively running my own FREE field for 3 years, it is and will always be, for something more important than my next paycheck... I get tons of guys into the sport just so they can have the joy of playing.

Fun with friends, that is what it is all about.

Check out my helmetcam footage on youtube "trailsofdoom".

If you have any old markers you don't want, we can always use extra guns to get newbies into the sport. I have four spares that are always being lent out for new guys to try out the sport. If the paintball companies wanted to grow the sport they would focus on getting guns (markers, I know) into the hands of the newbies to try it out.

Once someone plays, then they see the fun of paintball. I don't know about speedball, as I've only played woodsball and fieldball.

#25 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

View PostDigital Pirate, on Jan 4 2010, 11:05 AM, said:

Me too Slinky - me too. Ask Dwayne what he charged the vendors to participate at D-Day last year :wub:

This will be the first time I was back since 2005 - It looks like last year there was a building boom there, and I hear there are some other things that are about to be re-done as well.
Dwayne just has a knack for rubbing people the wrong way at times. Several vendors didn't even bother to show - and a few others didn't even break even for their trip there. It's tough for store owners and vendors right now.

#26 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 1 2010, 10:54 PM, said:

By the way - most of my friends and store owners that I have asked would have sold all of their gear and found a new sport if the .43 cal paintball "deal" had gone through. Greed takes its toll though, eh?

Posted Image

I don't see the point of this letter. It seems like you just found a random company to send a letter to and told them your thoughts on the sport and it's "death." KEE isn't pushing the .50 paint like other companies and I don't see how suggesting another size paint shows greed.

#27 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

View PostFlippy the Wonder Bunny, on Jan 4 2010, 07:26 PM, said:

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 1 2010, 10:54 PM, said:

By the way - most of my friends and store owners that I have asked would have sold all of their gear and found a new sport if the .43 cal paintball "deal" had gone through. Greed takes its toll though, eh?

Posted Image

I don't see the point of this letter. It seems like you just found a random company to send a letter to and told them your thoughts on the sport and it's "death." KEE isn't pushing the .50 paint like other companies and I don't see how suggesting another size paint shows greed.

The smaller paintball size deal comment wasn't directed towards KEE - nor did KEE come up with the BS "or else" scenario that the deal included - it was simply a comment in general about greed taking it's toll on manufacturers.

Now - If you really doubt that greed was the reason for the deal that I am speaking of, let me know and I will enlighten you on how it all really went down.
And if you believe that KEE was a "Random" company that I chose - that is your prerogative; dead wrong, but still your prerogative.

#28 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

Go ahead and enlighten me then. Suggesting something new that can lower the costs of paint doesn't seem greedy to me, and that's exactly what .50 cal could do if it actually works the way companies are saying it will.

#29 User is offline   I Am Oz 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

View PostFlippy the Wonder Bunny, on Jan 4 2010, 07:57 PM, said:

Go ahead and enlighten me then. Suggesting something new that can lower the costs of paint doesn't seem greedy to me, and that's exactly what .50 cal could do if it actually works the way companies are saying it will.

The .50 cal paintball was to be produced on a condition with another manufacturer - I won't post who the two manufacturers involved are; I have no desire to push myself into a liable suit. One was to produce the paint, the other - the marker that fired them. There was a "deal within a deal" on the table here as well, that never came to fruition. It was dirty - and yes, Flippy... it was purely greed driven.
I will double check my info to be sure of the dates and the people involved etc, and if you'd like, I will email you.

#30 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

View PostI Am Oz, on Jan 4 2010, 04:27 PM, said:

View PostDigital Pirate, on Jan 4 2010, 11:05 AM, said:

Me too Slinky - me too. Ask Dwayne what he charged the vendors to participate at D-Day last year :dry:

This will be the first time I was back since 2005 - It looks like last year there was a building boom there, and I hear there are some other things that are about to be re-done as well.
Dwayne just has a knack for rubbing people the wrong way at times. Several vendors didn't even bother to show - and a few others didn't even break even for their trip there. It's tough for store owners and vendors right now.

There've been a few changes in the meantime, pretty much all positive. Coeville has been pretty much completely overhauled, a new Breacourt Manor and Sword Beach are being built for this year, the Omaha Beach boats are being completely replaced, he built 3 huge building for vendors to rent, new showers, a few new dead zones, more construction in the Valley and at Utah, an actual bridge at Pegasus...

And, to be fair, while a high vendor cost at OK D-Day may drive some people away, for those who can get in, it's a pretty much unmissable opportunity. I mean, it's not often that, say, Tippmann can get thousands of people who are all 1) captive, 2) fans of their products and 3) have loads of money to burn in one place. '08 and '09 were actually really good for vendors. We had a whole pile of smaller independent vendors this year, and the only really major company who didn't show was Smart Parts.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users