• You cannot reply to this topic

ixradio.com - ear bone mic model XEM98D with remote PTT

#1 User is offline   katuil 

• Katuil
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:katuil

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

After reading many reviews or throat mics and not getting a real sense that there was one really great one I decide to see if there was something else out there. After some searching I came across the ear bone design and thought I would give it a shot.

This is the XEM98D model from ixradio.com and is inexpensive. I spent $50 for the mic and the remote PTT.

Construction

The construction is a little better than average. The length of the wire from the in-line PTT button to the ear piece is very nice, should accomidate anyone. The PTT button is very large if you decide to use it and has a clip bult into it so you can connect it where ever you want. From the in-line PTT button to the radio connector is a coil wire with a 90 degree connector. All wires and connectors are well made. The ear piece is very soft and does not dig in like other ear pieces do! Even after three to four hours! The remote PTT plugs into the in-line PTT assembly using a S-Video style male and female connectors. The length on the remote PTT is very nice, anyone no matter how long your arms are will not have any issues. There's also a volume control on the in-line PTT assebly.

Usage

One of the first things that I noticed is that I needed to pause for a second or two before I spoke, otherwise the first word or two would not make it. The clarity was extremely good! Once you learn where to position the ear piece, the quality of the sound is outstanding! Those that I communicated with said that I came across crystal clear without any background noise! All they haerd was what I said and nothing else! The remote PTT allowed me to keep my hands on my marker, which in the first game I used it was critical at points.

Design

Here's a simple explanation of how the ear bone mic works. It has pic up that is in your ear that pics up the vibratations from the bones inside of ear. The rest is just like a normal mic as far as converting and transmitting. So the mic and the listening piece are one in the same.

Well worth the money!

#2 User is offline   jungle_rich 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:04 PM

Very interesting! I had run across this mic and was curious about it. Are you still able to hear fairly well out of that ear?

#3 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:10 PM

I knew I could count on a fellow Colorado player to give me a good review on this. I may have to get one.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#4 User is offline   katuil 

• Katuil
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:katuil

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:21 PM

View Postjungle_rich, on Dec 14 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

Very interesting! I had run across this mic and was curious about it. Are you still able to hear fairly well out of that ear?

You can hear ok, but not as well as the other ear. It will take a little time and then you adapt to where it's not an issue.

#5 User is offline   Gero 

• Rent this space
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gero

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

I received my earbone microphone today. The product was delivered within 15 days as promised and it looks to be of better quality than what I expected for the money. The wire insulation is constructed of a nice rubberized material. Wires are well protected with bend protectors where it meets the "press to talk" button.

The concept of an ear bone microphone intrigues me. Nothing but an earpiece to wear. I don't like having anything press into my throat so I hope this works. I will be attending a large scenario game on Saturday so I will wait until then to comment on how well it works.

#6 User is offline   sTaLa 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

Can you still use the PTT of the FRS with that kind of mic or the PTT that comes with the mic desactivates the frs' PTT?

#7 User is offline   Ananahead 

• Well, you know what that means. Get the ductape.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ananahead

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:17 PM

Here's something I think is fairly important, Can you wisper with them? Or do you have to talk in a conversational tone?

#8 User is offline   soulofawarrior 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:soulofawarrior

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

mmm, i 2 am more courious about its performance when you wisper.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users