• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:32 AM

View PostJKLNHYD, on Mar 28 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

View PostPuzuma, on Mar 27 2008, 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthebostinian, on Mar 27 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

it's Canada, how hot can it get?

So many comments about ignorance and poor US education that I'm not going to say....

How hot can it get? Depends on where you live.
Calgary(Western Canada)I've seen temps of 400C(1040F) in the summer and very dry. Winter temps have hit -400C (-400F).

Last summer here in Kingston(Centralish Canada) we had several days of 25-300C(77-860F) with a few of 35-380C(95-1000F). Toss in the humidity of 75-90%....

Halifax Nova Scotia (East Coast) tend to hang at a 200C summer temp and -150C winter temps.

But...how do the dogs pull your sled to store to get oil for your lamps? :laugh:

Seriously, when i think of Canada, I think of snow and big trees and that is about it. And no, I have no Canadian education, nor have a huge interest in gathering info.

i don't deny being uneducated about the Canadian weather. hell, i'm pretty uneducated about the weather in my own country. but our average summer days in NY are about 85-90*F (~30*C), and it doesn't make sense that Calgary should be hotter than a state that's south of it.

then again, i am only an ignorant American, who's living on his parent's money and is a pure slacker. blame the school systems, not myself - i think i've spent 4 classes studying Canada in my life - and those were all from the French-Indian war.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#62 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:32 AM

View PostJKLNHYD, on Mar 28 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

View PostPuzuma, on Mar 27 2008, 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthebostinian, on Mar 27 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

it's Canada, how hot can it get?

So many comments about ignorance and poor US education that I'm not going to say....

How hot can it get? Depends on where you live.
Calgary(Western Canada)I've seen temps of 400C(1040F) in the summer and very dry. Winter temps have hit -400C (-400F).

Last summer here in Kingston(Centralish Canada) we had several days of 25-300C(77-860F) with a few of 35-380C(95-1000F). Toss in the humidity of 75-90%....

Halifax Nova Scotia (East Coast) tend to hang at a 200C summer temp and -150C winter temps.

But...how do the dogs pull your sled to store to get oil for your lamps? :laugh:

Seriously, when i think of Canada, I think of snow and big trees and that is about it. And no, I have no Canadian education, nor have a huge interest in gathering info.

i don't deny being uneducated about the Canadian weather. hell, i'm pretty uneducated about the weather in my own country. but our average summer days in NY are about 85-90*F (~30*C), and it doesn't make sense that Calgary should be hotter than a state that's south of it.

then again, i am only an ignorant American, who's living on his parent's money and is a pure slacker. blame the school systems, not myself - i think i've spent 4 classes studying Canada in my life - and those were all from the French-Indian war.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#63 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:45 AM

You have to look at the landscape, though. Calgary and Edmonton are right in the middle of the Prairies (Flat as hell, all farmland and oil rigs, basically Texas North), and it ALWAYS gets hot as hell in the summer and cold as hell in the summer. If you draw a line straight across, you go all the way from Vancouver, which basically stays wet and temperate all year around (No extremes either way) to northern Ontario and Quebec, which are closer to the territories (Dry, moderate summers and dry and cold as hell winters) to the Maritimes (Wet and cold as hell, what with the ocean being there and everything). It's the same way that all the cow states along a parallel line along from New York get a hell of a lot hotter in the summer and a hell of a lot colder in the winter.

#64 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

well, now it makes sense. thanks MP, though i didn't really care all that much.

#65 User is offline   CertifiedPaintballer 

• Forum Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:certified paintballer

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

I live in PA, and it is too cold...my family is hopefully going to move down to Florida in the next couple of years. I really would like to live by the beach too, despite the hurricanes.

#66 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Mar 28 2008, 06:45 AM, said:

and it ALWAYS gets hot as hell in the summer and cold as hell in the summer.

Paradoxical.

I love where I live. Lowest crime rate for the past three years for our size of a town and it's nice to breathe in the air. Then, the winter comes, and I hate it and wished I lived south.

#67 User is offline   Sherman 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

Too cold where I live. I want to live in Australia, looks warm and friendly.
/signature

#68 Guest_SaltandVinegar_*

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

View PostSherman, on Mar 28 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

Too cold where I live. I want to live in Australia, looks warm and friendly.

YES! You and me both. Kangaroo steaks, and warm weather playing with the koalas.

#69 User is offline   Sherman 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

View PostSaltandVinegar, on Mar 28 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

YES! You and me both. Kangaroo steaks, and warm weather playing with the koalas.

:happy:
/signature

#70 User is offline   Seizureman 

• Designated Idiot
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seizureman

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Bostinian - Alberta has "chinooks" (random warm winds). a lot of the time from being between the mountains and plains. It could be -20 one day, then tshirt weather the next. I learned that somewhere but I forget the rest of the details

Cant have a Shameless Quote if they won't tell me what it is...
401 BP

#71 User is offline   CdnNinja 

• The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

My immediate area is pretty boring. I live in a small town so there isn't a lot to do. The only real good thing is the fact are tonnes of wooded areas all around me. The two local paintball places aren't exactly close either and there is one paintball store that I'm not very fond of that is the next city. Even though it sucks I can't really imagine living anywhere else. I guess I've got a good spot. The Southern most tip if Ontario is a pretty nice place. We have hot summers and cold winters. Although the constant supply of pollution blown over from Detriot isn't exactly awesome.
Posted Image

#72 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

I love nothing...

...but, Southern California is the best I have ever lived, and I have never lived anywhere better. I have been to all states west of the Mississippi. C'mon, man, there is no best place to live, there are drawbacks wherever you go. But, as noted by my fellow Californians, we can have whatever we want here. Yeah, I will be happy paying more for 5+ fields and unlimited outlaw ball and 1,000 ball shops within 1 hour drive...

This post has been edited by JKLNHYD: 28 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#73 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

View PostSeizureman, on Mar 28 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

Bostinian - Alberta has "chinooks" (random warm winds). a lot of the time from being between the mountains and plains. It could be -20 one day, then tshirt weather the next. I learned that somewhere but I forget the rest of the details

I loved the Chinooks. Go to bed on Monday night and it's -250C, wake up Tuesday morning to +150C, snowballs appearing everywhere and depending on how long the Chinook lasts the odd exploding tree.

The winds blow across the snow and can get a small piece of it rolling. Because the snow is now sticky it would roll into a larger ball. Biggest ones I've seen were about the size of a bowling ball.

If the Chinook lasted more than an week the sap in some trees would start to flow. Once the Chinook passes the temps drop below freezing again. Since sap is mostly water and water expands when it freezes trees can sometimes be heard popping as they bulge and break off chunks of bark.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#74 Guest_Cesar_*

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:59 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Mar 29 2008, 09:55 AM, said:

View PostSeizureman, on Mar 28 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

I loved the Chinooks. Go to bed on Monday night and it's -250C, wake up Tuesday morning to +150C, snowballs appearing everywhere and depending on how long the Chinook lasts the odd exploding tree.

The winds blow across the snow and can get a small piece of it rolling. Because the snow is now sticky it would roll into a larger ball. Biggest ones I've seen were about the size of a bowling ball.

If the Chinook lasted more than an week the sap in some trees would start to flow. Once the Chinook passes the temps drop below freezing again. Since sap is mostly water and water expands when it freezes trees can sometimes be heard popping as they bulge and break off chunks of bark.

ah, so you Canadians dont even make you own snowballs...I KNEW IT!!

thats really kinda cool though...

#75 User is offline   GHOSTRECON12 

• is an alaskin with night vision goggles
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GHOSTRECON12

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

Ugh no. I hate New Jersey. It's too strict and expensive here. I would like to move to Alaska, but that would never happen. I'm thinking about New Hampshire. No New Jersey laws, moose hunting..What more could I ask for? I always wanted to move to Miami Florida, but I don't think it's for me.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender--Winston Churchill

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users