Special Ops Paintball: The Experimental Tank Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Experimental Tank Thread The Vehicle Kind, please vote Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Tank subsection (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the SO Forum implement a subsection devoted specifically to tanks?

1. Strong Yes (42 votes [50.60%])

Percentage of vote: 50.60%

2. Yes (26 votes [31.33%])

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

3. Indifferent/Don't Care (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

4. No (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

5. Strong No (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   aquateenjunkie 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:aquateenjunkie

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

when my buddy made his turret all he did was get 12 rollerblade wheels and fix them to the bottom of the turret. and made a track on the cap of his pick up for the wheels to rotate on. then he put the turret on the track and put some sort of metal thingy that kept the turret from falling off.

it worked quite nice and was desently smooth.
Chuck Norris, a cotton candy filled twinky and Aquateenjunkie walk into a bar. The building then immedietly explodes because it cannot contain that level of awesomeness.

Battlefront Paintball

Team Total Resistance

#17 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:L4NDSC4P3R

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

So, how is everyone's plans going? I want to color mine desert camo...
O'Connor: "Good to see you've gone with the times and put in electric fuel injectors..."
Torreto: "Buster became a gear head."

#18 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

View Postaquateenjunkie, on Apr 16 2009, 12:26 PM, said:

when my buddy made his turret all he did was get 12 rollerblade wheels and fix them to the bottom of the turret. and made a track on the cap of his pick up for the wheels to rotate on. then he put the turret on the track and put some sort of metal thingy that kept the turret from falling off.

Wow, that's a good idea. You can get wheels off an old pair of roller blades from a thrift store for fairly cheap.

This whole thread is a good idea, not to mention the subforum idea. There's always a tank thread floating around the GPD. While not cheap enough for all members to get, I know that there are some members who spend more on one or two markers than it would cost for a simple tank. I think it would be awesome. A picture thread here, a tactics thread there, and a smattering of anecdotes. Not to mention someone will likely post a how-to on building, or insuring, etc. Shucks, our OP also mentioned anti-tank possibilities as being part of the subforum.

Hey, they made a media section that is only limitedly active, and yet extremely valued. Even if this doesn't receive a massive load of traffic, that doesn't mean its not worthwhile.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#19 User is offline   L4NDSC4P3R 

• -COVERT SHOOOTER-
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:L4NDSC4P3R

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

I think I may become more intrested in anti-tank warfare now cause I need a buddy to help build my tank. So we should have a whole Armoured/Anti-Armour section...
O'Connor: "Good to see you've gone with the times and put in electric fuel injectors..."
Torreto: "Buster became a gear head."

#20 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

1. quick answer on your insurance question, if a vehicle has a governor at 24 miles per hour you dont need insurance, all you need is a "slow moving vehicle triangle" on the back.

2. if im not mistaken all tanks have a "kill shot" area somewhere on the armor [its like a 2" x 2" square on the exterior that will "kill" the tank] so you could practice pop shots until you can nail a 2"x2" tile consistently.

or if you are hell bent on getting a rocket launcher you could do that too (there sure are alot of cool options out there)
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#21 User is offline   rampant_sanity 

• for some reason i keep buying more paint than i need
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:rampant_sanity

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

View PostKa1iBuR, on Apr 15 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

A friend of mine owns a '76 4WD Dodge PowerWagon. It's old, it's beasty, and it's already green. We want to turn it into a quick-loading/unloading APC, with room for at least five passengers and a top-mounted MG. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make this?

if it's a regular cab:
  • build a canopy with a swing ring
  • replace the tailgate with some wide, deep steps
  • knock out all the glass the driver would look through and replace it with netting (cuz you'll get spray off your lens better than you'll get paint and shells off your windshield)
  • drop it in low range 4x4; 5mph limit!
if it s a club cab:
  • put the swing ring directly behind the driver through the roof of the cab
  • replace the tailgate with some wide, deep steps
  • knock out all the glass the driver would look through and replace it with netting (cuz you'll get spray off your lens better than you'll get paint and shells off your windshield)
  • drop it in low range 4x4; 5mph limit!

View PostKa1iBuR, on Apr 15 2009, 04:53 PM, said:

Good idea. I was also thinking of a way to be able to turn the turret 360 degrees in the limited amount of space of a truck bed. I was thinking using a magnetic bipod or tripod, something that would stay firmly in place during play but be pulled up and rotated when needed, or removed from the vehicle. Is this a good idea? Any others?

View PostL4NDSC4P3R, on Apr 15 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

I need a 3D design software to show you my idea...

i gave you links to 2 just a couple days ago. go back there: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...p;#entry2357094

View Postrcp_90, on Apr 15 2009, 05:06 PM, said:

At the risk of sounding negative, I'm almost sure that most fields don't allow tanks made out of road vehicles after '95 or some year around there. I think it's a liability thing, not sure how many fields actually follow that, but I saw it somewhere. I know Skirmish USA says that people in a tank are neutral outside a tank, so there an APC would be useless. I don't know how other fields would feel about that. The same would go with having a top mounted MG, field limits on full auto being what they are.

That having been said, from what I've seen a larger tank almost always have a traversing turret. Generally, the smaller ones have a fixed gun for the driver in the front, so there's no designated gunner. Smaller=easier to build, easier to handle, easier to transport, and importantly, easy to afford, lol

i don't know of any field that limits age of vehicle. my field doesn't. the only limits on my field are speed: 5mph; granny gear and/or lowrange 4x4. if you get stuck because you don't have positraction, i have a tractor to pull your tank out of the mud after the game is over.

APCs aren't the same as tanks. they would be subject to different rules; possibly restricted in capabilitites while being an APC.

any field that allows tanks allows whatever marker is on the tank. it's up to the gunner to restrict their own fire within the limits of ROF set by the field and watch their overshooting.

effective armor usage uses infantry to take on sporadic units (which is where an APC would be useful; drop infantry then support advance) and uses massive firepower to take on entrenched emplacements and other armor. too many peeps consider a tank a moving bunker. it's better as a support unit.

insurance isn't required for off road vehicles, to my knowledge.

if you're going to drive it on the road then yes, you'd need to have liability insurance unless it's classifiable as a tractor (my design is). should that be the case then you would need to mark it as a slow moving vehicle (the triangle sign, flashing yellow lights, etc.).

as for the swing ring:
that's a bit more difficult...

you'd need to support in spherical shape.

basically you'd need skate wheels that support the structure, confine it laterally and vertically, and retention for the unit. a pipe that has been split, expanded, and bent into a circle would do the job easily. essentially any channel type steel would do.

(yes, i have figured out how to do it. no, i'm not sharing quite yet.)

i agree the proposed thread should be an armor/anti-armor thread.

personally, i want a freakin' PB MECH!!! (anyone remember the timberwolf from mechwarrior 2? or the vulture? that's what i'm talking about!)

i doubt a 15-20ft tall (approx. 1/5th scale edit: turns out that IS full scale) walking machine would ever be allowed on a field (other than mine) but it would be awesome to have one!

This post has been edited by rampant_sanity: 16 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

http://www.flashpointpaintball.com
http://www.twitter.com/flashpointpb

<sings style="fall out boy" title="this ain't a scene">
i am an arms dealer...
</sings>

#22 User is offline   DaggerofBWUK 

• Theknightofbwuk-dagger styley
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I was thinking about trying to make a tank, base it on a coot. that rollerblade idea is pretty awesome though. I was thinking about just a bunker slit in a raised partition to shoot from but that works too.

As for the paint-mech, I'd love to have something like the walkers on the third matrix, twin chainguns *ooh rah*
"May be the new kid on the block
but that don't really matter
'Cos I is from Gloucestershire
and I can drive a tra-ar"

#23 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

Forget the Vulture, I want a Fafnir!!! :happy:

Anyways, I think a tank forum would be a good idea. It doesn't have to be super active to be a valuable asset, and it would make it easier for people to find threads with advice on building tanks and such, rather than posting questions that have been answered before. Just my 2cents.

View PostWrzesinski, on Apr 16 2009, 09:29 AM, said:

what you could to is attach a Steel pole to the bed of the truck, then take a piece of pvc pipe with an inner diameter just big enough to fit over the steel pole , attach a T-joint to the top of this pole and create a square with 90 degree joints and pvc pipe cut out just enough space in the top of the square to fit in another T joint, but sand the inside of this T joint so that it can rotate freely in place [to allow rotation vertically] cut a line in the top of the T joint [this is where your marker will sit] if need be you could install extra length of pvc pipe in the front or back of the t joint to hold the marker more stable and install straps through the pvc to hold it in place.

I have attached pictures to give you a better idea.
[pic]

That's not a bad idea if your tank has the space for it. It forces the gunner to move around rather than just spinning in place, but it'd be VERY simple to build.

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 18 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   rampant_sanity 

• PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

View PostDaggerofBWUK, on Apr 18 2009, 12:42 PM, said:

As for the paint-mech, I'd love to have something like the walkers on the third matrix, twin chainguns *ooh rah*

yeah i thought about those but decided that the loading system would be a bit difficult to keep going since it was lower than the firing point.

View PostSilent-7, on Apr 18 2009, 12:54 PM, said:

Forget the Vulture, I want a Fafnir!!! :P

i don't remember that one...

then again... i'm old school and played Mech2 in wireframe. (never played 3 and didn't finish 4.)

the reason that i thought of those were the missile launchers in the shoulder areas.

load up some rocket sized paint 'nades into groups of tubes and fire off maybe 5 at a time. pack 30 or 40 tubes into the shoulders of each type and you have the capabilities to lay some significant waste to the OPFOR.

you could easily go with the mech4 variants and do up a catapault with just the tubes as an artillery piece. you'd have to have it guarded all the time though cuz if someone got inside of about 40ft they would be inside the firing zone.

i am an arms dealer...
</sings>

#25 User is offline   tippmann14 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

View Postaquateenjunkie, on Apr 16 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

thats a great idea
thanks

#26 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

View Postrampant_sanity, on Apr 18 2009, 07:47 PM, said:

Forget the Vulture, I want a Fafnir!!! B)

then again... i'm old school and played Mech2 in wireframe. (never played 3 and didn't finish 4.)

the reason that i thought of those were the missile launchers in the shoulder areas.

load up some rocket sized paint 'nades into groups of tubes and fire off maybe 5 at a time. pack 30 or 40 tubes into the shoulders of each type and you have the capabilities to lay some significant waste to the OPFOR.

you could easily go with the mech4 variants and do up a catapault with just the tubes as an artillery piece. you'd have to have it guarded all the time though cuz if someone got inside of about 40ft they would be inside the firing zone.

Ah, well I only played Mercenaries. The Fafnir is a big ol' 100-ton mech that could mount twin heavy gauss cannons and twin extended range PPCs at the same time. It wasn't even fair. :D

A catapult would be pretty sick too - just an endless barrage of nerf rockets! But yeah, you'd definitely have to protect it. Build a pair of Ullers to go charging around at top speed, blasting away at 30BPS! LOL...

This mech thing deserves it's own thread too! :facepalm:

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 18 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Posted Image

#27 User is offline   rampant_sanity 

• PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

View PostSilent-7, on Apr 18 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

Ah, well I only played Mercenaries. The Fafnir is a big ol' 100-ton mech that could mount twin heavy gauss cannons and twin extended range PPCs at the same time. It wasn't even fair. :D

A catapult would be pretty sick too - just an endless barrage of nerf rockets! But yeah, you'd definitely have to protect it. Build a pair of Ullers to go charging around at top speed, blasting away at 30BPS! LOL...

This mech thing deserves it's own thread too! :dodgy:

(maybe i should finish that game)

i hated ullers... they weren't fast enough to account for their low firepower.

ah yes
i can see it now: "fantasy paintball vehicles - mechs, powered suits, etc."

you know those mechs were supposed to be 100ft+ tall.

for those who don't know what we're talking about...

i believe this to be images of a Mad Cat from MW4: Mercenaries

Posted Image

Posted Image

the mech in these images fit the Vulture/Mad Dog description.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the catapault.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a big one for the Uller

Posted Image

i found some animations for a number of the MW4 mechs.

you can see them here.

i only found the Fafrota though... is that the one you were talking about?

i am an arms dealer...
</sings>

#28 User is offline   Spektre 

• Forum Stalker
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPEKTRE

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

View PostSilent-7, on Apr 19 2009, 01:54 AM, said:

This mech thing deserves it's own thread too! :P

lol AWESOME. This thread just got a lot more interesting.

First, a Nerd comment: A Mech that can load twin heavy Gauss and ER PPCs is just absurd. :dodgy: Overkill is an understatement... You can just snipe everything before it gets in range...

Now, a comment related to the currently discussed topic: A paintball Mech would be awesome! Mad Dog's are sexy, but I think some power armor would be even better (I realize that was the original concept and that no one is proposing the use of 40' Mechs, but hear me out). Get some Elemental's out there and you have a shoulder mounted single tube missile launcher and a couple full auto markers on the arm, plus jump jets! Who needs to get bottle necked on a bridge when you can jump jet over?? :alien: :wacko: :P *ended up being a nerd comment as well*

Now, in regard to the original topic: I have been working on an idea for a jeep wrangler "Warthog" light support vehicle/tank. :) It would utilize a system similar to the Rollerblade idea mentioned to mount a turret in the back of the jeep plus the passenger space to make it just like the Warthog from halo. Just throw an anti-tank weapon and a box of grenades in the passenger seat and you're good to go. :D B)
SPEKTRE, Recon Element
Grim Reapers Paintball

#29 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

View PostSpektre, on Apr 19 2009, 05:33 AM, said:

First, a Nerd comment: A Mech that can load twin heavy Gauss and ER PPCs is just absurd. :panzer: Overkill is an understatement... You can just snipe everything before it gets in range...

100% true. My brother would use a Daishi or Atlas or something similar, and one well-placed shot from all four weapons had his center torso at critical damage. One more shot from any of the four would finish him before he ever hit me. Like I said, not even fair.

@rampant_sanity:
I don't know what the Fafrota is. Here's the Fafnir...

Posted Image

Trying desperately to stay on topic:
Spektre, I like the Warthog idea. A Wrangler seems a bit too tall to truely resemble a Warthog, but with the proper paint-job it would certainly get the point across. The trick is getting that turret mounted well. But if you can pull it off, I'd love to see it!

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 19 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Posted Image

#30 User is offline   DaggerofBWUK 

• Theknightofbwuk-dagger styley
  • PipPip

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

Talking about Warthogs (See no Mech comments here baby (oh wait...)) I was thinking maybe a landrover freelander, the three door version with the rear top that comes off... Take the rear seats out, take the doors and the rear roof bit off whack a dt tippy on the back and you have yourself a warthog...

Freelander w/ roof rail
Posted Image

Warthog (real-ish) (only side on in the right direction I could find in a hurry)
Posted Image

Maybe a little body work if you want to be serious, extend the windshield to about halfway up the bonnet. tear away the roof and replace with a supporting metal bar (stop the car folding in on itself), replace the rear window with metal and take away the material bordering it, and serious work on the hydralics and wheel arches. As you can probably tel I know nothing of car mechanics so if I was given one of these for the purpose of making a warthog I'd fudge it up a treat =D

This post has been edited by DaggerofBWUK: 19 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

"May be the new kid on the block
but that don't really matter
'Cos I is from Gloucestershire
and I can drive a tra-ar"

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic