• You cannot reply to this topic

My MultiCam-ish A5 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

EDIT:
Back from the dead! I got around to painting the receiver halves & cyclone back in April so here are the updated pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Definitely not perfect... I see a few spots that could use improvement. The beauty of MC is that I can go in, overlay new paint & the patterns will still look consistent!

Original Post:
I finally got around to posting some pics - finished it this past winter. It's all rattle can, mostly Krylon Fusion, and one Rustoleum color. This season it's seen three scenario days of play w/ plenty of marker hits, splatter, & scrapes off of trees, buildings, & rocks. With the exception of a few chips & scrapes the paint has held up remarkably. I only used clearcoat on the marker body & none of the accesories.

The first pic is what it looked like when I purchased it in Feb '07. In August '07 I decided I wanted to paint it to match my MC. I decided that w/ a few more days of play left before winter I would just do it all in olive drab, finish the season out, then do it right during the freezing months of Dec & Jan. Well the day after I finished it I managed to "break" my back during a non-paintball activity, lets just say I'm not as young as I used to be. It's not as serious as it sounds (although unbelievably painful), I got a compression fracture of my L1 vertebrae. Just imagine squishing a jumbo puff marshmallow between your fingers, yeah it was like that. Needless to say this ended my paintball play & pretty much any other physically strenuous activity for the next 4 months (i.e. 'til spring). Anyways, as a result I now had the chance to paint it up the way I wanted. Except that I had already taken all the tape off & had it assembled & ready for play. Well, i decided to leave the marker body the OD since those clamshells were too much work to prep. Since I was changing the setup, I decided that all the new accessories would be great candidates for the camo pattern.

In the end I was very pleased w/ it. I know it wasn't perfect, but the colors were close enough for rattle can, and I kinda liked it with just the accents of MultiCam-ish. But then freakin' Charlie Echo went & did an unbelievably nice job w/ his MultiCam paintjob this past year (props to you man). Now here I am, a year later, thinking about following his tips & doing it right this time. Like Mom always said, "If you're gonna do something, do it right, don't do it halfway." I have the patience & ability, I just don't know if I'll have the time... we'll have to wait and see!

Comments & questions are of course welcome / encouraged.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by ger: 26 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#2 User is offline   camo_man11 

• Carpe Diem
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:S.Neal

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

looks pretty good

#3 User is offline   Flesterage 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Wow! Nice paintjob you got there. What paint did you used for your MultiCam?

|98c Platinum|=> 14'' Stiffi Barrel, Cyclone Loader, Tac-Cap, M4 Stock, NcStar Raised Rail, Red-Dot Sight (NcStar Style), Clicky Pen Mod.
Tippmann Owner #118

#4 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

Krylon Fusion Camoflauge - Ultra Flat Olive
Krylon Fusion Camoflauge - Ultra Flat Brown
Krylon Fusion Camoflauge - Ultra Flat Khaki (medium tan color)
Krylon Fusion - Satin River Rock (light tan color)
Rustoleum - Satin Taupe (dark tan color)

I wish I could have found a match for the dark tan in Krylon - the Rustoleum is very near perfect though. I had a problem w/ it drying when painting over the Krylon. Plus when I painted over it w/ Krylon, it didn't bond as well & I got some very slight (almost not noticable) cracking. In both cases I had to apply extremely light overcoats, 3 or 4 instead of my usual 2 or 3. When I go to redo it I'll search harder so that I keep all the paint from the same family.

Thanks for the comments so far
ger

#5 User is offline   BRENDO~ 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BRENDO~

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Dude that's pretty cool how did u do it?
TIPPMANN OWNERS CLUB (A5) #115
I LIKE PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gibson ES 339 Owner!!!!!

#6 User is offline   RAYC22B 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:John Hatcher

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

Nice job!!! One of the best i've seen in awhile...wanna paint my TM-7...lol. That really came out great I'm a fan of the Krylon paint thats what I use also. AWESOME WORK!!! :laugh:

This post has been edited by RAYC22B: 05 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

#7 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys -

Ray: I really like the Krylon. Like I said, w/ the exception fo a few scratches it's holding up perfectly. Besides, the scratches add to the effect. Even though I clean off my marker after every day of play, I've had paint that sneakes into those little cracks sit like that for weeks, the Krylon still holds. I haven't had any issues w/ it on the metal or plastic parts. BTW - congrats on picking up a TM-7!

Brendo: A lot of patience! Honestly. It's all done w/ stencils, positive & negative. I hand drew them on painters tape, the wide stuff like 2", cut them out w/ an exacto, then started layering the colors. The green & dark tan as the base where I did most of the fading plus used some stencils - medium tan w/ some fading & stencils - then brown w/ stencils - then light tan w/ stencils. The key to painting MC (based loosely on suggestions from member cap4life here on the forum) is the lightest tan is always on top & in a hard pattern, never fading to another color & never covered by any other color - then brown is immediately below the light tan, also in a hard pattern & never covered by any color other than the light tan - the medium tan, dark tan, & green all appear to be on the same level, fading softly from one to another & w/ the use of hardlines as well. It's hard & easy at the same time, but much easier once you wrap your head around the concept.

It's not the perfect MC paint job, nor do I claim it to be. But, I didn't set out for it to be perfect in the first place, but I do like the result. If I get up the nerves this off season though - it will be as close to perfect as I can possibly make it.

Again, thanks for the comments.

This post has been edited by ger: 04 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

ger

#8 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Looks good man, you did a nice job!
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#9 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Now, that is what I call Multi-Cam! Good job. Everything came out nice and crisp, too. Ger, where did you get the pistol grip attachment? Is that a Lapco on the bottom of your grip? I'm diggin' your stock, too. It looks custom. Is that a machined adapter plate to fit the A-5?

~ Charlie

#10 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

That looks very very very good! The solid olive color with "splashes" of multicam in different locations on the marker was a great idea, and it turned out awesome.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had some troubles with different types of paint, but it still looks tremendous in those pictures.
Stellar work! :D
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Thanks drummer

Charlie: Yes, it's a Lapco grip bottom. The stock: it's not custom, just a modded Longbow. It's the original all-aluminum version not the new composite type. The whole thing breaks down into 7 pieces total, not including air fittings & screws, which made it easy to mod (w/ a little thinking). I could explain the mod process but pics will be much better - I'll try to take some this weekend. Thanks for the compliments. Like I said, I may be trying your technique this offseason, wish me luck (throw me some insider info too)!

Silent: The two brands did cause me a little heartache at the time but it turned out fine. Like I said there was some checking but it became less once it dried completely. Plus, I strategically (luckily) placed my brown & light tan splotches over some of the "problem" areas so now it's almost completely unoticable. I've been catching a little heat (not really) over on the A5OG for not doing the entire marker, but I think it looks kinda cool fading from camo to solid.
ger

#12 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

View Postger, on Sep 5 2008, 10:26 AM, said:

I've been catching a little heat (not really) over on the A5OG for not doing the entire marker, but I think it looks kinda cool fading from camo to solid.

Definitely - that's probably my favorite thing about it. It makes it unique, while still using an effective and well-known camo pattern.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

Ger, you definitely got the pattern down. Would really love to see you commit to the Duracoat next go.

And, you did a nice job on modding the stock.

#14 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

Added a topic to the Tippmann section showing the mod to the stock & mag: LINK
Bonus - you can see the updated paint job to the e-grip
ger

#15 User is offline   camo_man11 

• Carpe Diem
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:S.Neal

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

looks great what colors did you use??

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic