Special Ops Paintball: Your Favorite Books - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Favorite Books What are they? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   The Stuntman 

  • I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 2,722
  • Joined: 06-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santa Cruz CA
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

ALL the Tolkien books - Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, etc...

Gates of Fire by Pressfield

Good Omens by Gaimen/Pratchett

His Dark Materials Trilogy (Golden Compass etc.) by Pullman

The Hyperion Cantos by Simmons

Neuromancer by Gibson

I, Claudius by Graves

anything byf Hunter S. Thompson



..and many others beyond counting. I love classic sci-fi/fantasy horror - HP Lovecraft, Robert E Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Fritz Leiber, Isaac Asimov, HG Wells...
but Im also fond of history & biographies. Antonia Frasier & Allison Weir both write excellent books on European history, John Keegen for purely military history....I could go on for hours - I read ALOT. Compulsively.
0

#17 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

  • The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,296
  • Joined: 23-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Albert, AB
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

Only thing I didn't like about the Night Angels guy (if I remember correctly; this applies to Black Prism as well I believe...)...is his characters get bumped in the head and knocked out. A LOT. I may be mistaken...
0

#18 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 27 June 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

Only thing I didn't like about the Night Angels guy (if I remember correctly; this applies to Black Prism as well I believe...)...is his characters get bumped in the head and knocked out. A LOT. I may be mistaken...

They do that a bit. Meh, it goes with the story. I didn't like the Black Prism nearly as much anyway.
0

#19 User is offline   toxic t0ast 

  • If I cant dance, I dont want to be apart of your revolution.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 5,460
  • Joined: 22-November 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pensacola, Florida
  • Brigade Name:french t0ast

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Brave New World
Slaughter House five
Average American Male
Apathy
Doors of Perception
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Representing the Hate five oh! (850-Ska-core)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thespanx" target="_blank">The Spanx (Our folk/indie band)</a></div>
<div align="center"></div>
0

#20 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

  • The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,296
  • Joined: 23-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Albert, AB
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

View Postshadow_772, on 27 June 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

View Postcdrinkh20, on 27 June 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

Only thing I didn't like about the Night Angels guy (if I remember correctly; this applies to Black Prism as well I believe...)...is his characters get bumped in the head and knocked out. A LOT. I may be mistaken...

They do that a bit. Meh, it goes with the story. I didn't like the Black Prism nearly as much anyway.


If I remember correctly and it WAS him... it happened like every time something more interesting was about to happen :P I liked Black Prism, except I hate reading about kids that fail at everything and get knocked out all the time. Good twists, as stated previously.
0

#21 User is offline   LoD 

  • Lord of Death
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: 28-March 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ephraim, UT
  • Brigade Name:LoD

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

I love stuff by Garth Nix. My favorite of his (so far) is the Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, in that order. Those are some bad ass books. The second one was kind of slow for a bit, but picked up. Abhorsen was money. Another of Garth's is Shade's Children. I'm also reading the Diablo books from The Sin War trilogy. I'm on book two right now called Scales of the Serpent. Pretty decent if you're into Diablo. Author is Richard A. Knaak.

This post has been edited by LoD: 05 July 2011 - 01:03 PM


My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma
0

#22 User is offline   Invictusone 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 233
  • Joined: 26-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston, MA
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

I found "on china" by kissinger, "the future of democracy" by fareed zakaria, and the "investors manifesto" by an author I forget all to be fascinating books. Anyone whose interest is piqued by these titles who does not mind a dry read should go ahead and do it.

In fiction, I enjoyed catch-22, and animal farm.

Also, someone mentioned the night angel trilogy and the wheel of time, which were great as well.

@cdrinkh20- his characters did have a small problem of being hit in the head. They could definitely be helped by good helmets.

This post has been edited by Invictusone: 05 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491
0

#23 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostInvictusone, on 05 July 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

I found "on china" by kissinger, "the future of democracy" by fareed zakaria, and the "investors manifesto" by an author I forget all to be fascinating books. Anyone whose interest is piqued by these titles who does not mind a dry read should go ahead and do it.

In fiction, I enjoyed catch-22, and animal farm.

Also, someone mentioned the night angel trilogy and the wheel of time, which were great as well.

@cdrinkh20- his characters did have a small problem of being hit in the head. They could definitely be helped by good helmets.

I think I read Animal farm years ago. I can't remember. Off to google.
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users