Special Ops Paintball: A Few Questions (And an explination) - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Few Questions (And an explination) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Meyou

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:13 AM

Okie, as most of you folks already know, I'm relatively new to the forums and paintball. I've played 8 or 9 games, mostly using rental gear, although sometimes using my own camo (And recently my own mask). Anyway, Yesterday I must have gotten noticed by the manager of Delta Force during a game, and afterwards he came over to me and offered me a weekend job being a Ref. One of the bonus's was free paint (Which is awesome, as I usually spend £100+ (About $180 US) a game on paint) So I happily said yes and handed over my details. I was kinda wondering:

Am I too inexperienced to be a ref?

Will reffing provide me with the experience I need to open my own field eventually? (Something I've been wanting to do)

What does Reffing usually involve, and how should I go about doing it?

What could I have possibly done to catch his attention?

And Finally, is reffing likely to make me a paint magnet?
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Tenacious Needs YOU! | WDR
Aspie 'Baller

#2 User is offline   loyats 

• Just a Regular Joe
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Loyats

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:36 AM

View PostMeyou, on Oct 2 2006, 05:13 AM, said:

No, and anyone telling you differently is a biggot on account of experience. You will learn, it's not hard to know the difference between right and wrong, especially since it's posted at most paintball feilds. And you will be able to learn from others while being a ref as well, you'll be able to see what works and what doesn't (kind of like what sports teams do reveiwing an opposing team) without actually having to get shot as well.

Will reffing provide me with the experience I need to open my own field eventually? (Something I've been wanting to do)

Maybe, it depends on how into you get, and how much outside of refing you do and ask about. Refing alone will not make you feild owner potential, but it can't hurt, and if you get buddy-buddy with the owner you may get him to teach you some valuable things.

Depends on how much you get into it. If you're reall passionate about paitnball get in there and show the players what's up, don't be afraid of getting shot and make your calls, and most importantly, stick by them and don't back down. Stay in the action, but not in the line of fire, try to balance focus and observation, and most importantly, be as fair and just as you are able.

Maybe he saw soemthing in you, maybe he saw you often enough to get stuck in his mind, maybe you happened to be in the tright place at the right time, or maybe he just plain figured you for a schmuck.

Depends on your player base, the calls you make, and how you treat getting shot. You will be hit, regardless, how often and why is mostly up to you.

#3 User is offline   Da Ref 

• too much work no time to play
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper257

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

I agree with what Loyats has to say execpt on the question of being a paint magnet I have always belived that if you are not being hit you could be in the wrong place. This is not always true but in means that you have to be were it is all happing. Good luck with the job there is always a need for more refs.
Its simple I saw the hit,
Your out!!

I need a job with more vacation time

#4 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:12 AM

at castle conquest if a ref dosent get shot he dosent get paid...... no they do but most all the refs get shot even working crono... but if your playing a close combat game you will get shot theres no doubt about that.
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#5 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

Cool, thanks for the quick response, this has kinda put some of my self-doubts at rest. I wouldn't mind getting shot while reffing, although some of my friends keep boasting about how they target refs, which might irritate me a lil if I get pelted on purpose.

And even though I'm new, I really love paintball. It drives my family and friends nuts, and they think I've become obsessed. I just think I'm normal.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Aspie 'Baller

#6 User is offline   loyats 

• Just a Regular Joe
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:31 AM

View PostMeyou, on Oct 2 2006, 07:14 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind getting shot while reffing, although some of my friends keep boasting about how they target refs, which might irritate me a lil if I get pelted on purpose.

Good, glad we could help, and if you can prove you got shot on purpose I would call that person out on it. There's no need as you'll be getting hit more than the players anyhow most of the time. Just never, ever back down from a call, or you might as well hand up your ref jersey, you just handed the power to the players.

#7 User is offline   Da Ref 

• too much work no time to play
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper257

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:11 AM

Watch out for those new players who when you see them they jump and shoot you a couple of times and then do it again 5 minutes later because they though you had left. I was shoot three different times by the same person because he would jump out from behind a tree and shoot down a trail without looking.
Its simple I saw the hit,
Your out!!

I need a job with more vacation time

#8 User is offline   mchainmail 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mchainmail

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

Of course, the other option is to pack a tac-8 in your belt...

#9 User is offline   Mars 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

You wrote:

#1, #3 & #5: Not neccesarily. Being a referee is more than knowing the rules, or knowing the game. It's about being judicious, fair, unbiased, impartial, et cetera. It's about knowing how to make a close call, and sticking to your decision. You'll need to get into the thick of the game sometimes, and you will get shot, but you'll also need to know when to not get in the way of the game, as well. You have to learn how to watch players without giving away their positions, have a quick eye for violations, a loud voice helps, and always keep a professional composure.

#2: No. One does not neccesarily bring you to the other. You'll have to have a head for business, obviously, which does not come from being a paintball referee. Being creative, having a passion for the game and growing the sport will help. Lots of capitol and learning all the in/outs of the liabilities would be good, also.

#4: Who knows... but you should ask him... not me.

Hope this helps

#10 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

a tip from an old ref, just do your best you will most likely get hit it comes with the territory but look on the bright side you getta wear as much padding as you want and carry a sheild if ya want.my playing freinds target me occasionally just out of jesting but anyone doing it out of hostility or revenge is gone remember you are the ref. the reason you might have been chosen is your ability to play fair and with good sportmanship take that attitude when you ref and youll be fine. also see posting how to be better ref
i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

#11 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

(Sorry about the delay, had a lot on)

Thanks for the advice and answers guys, it really means a lot to me. Its been over a month since I was offered the position, and finally, I'll be reffing a game this Sunday! I'm totally psyched up about it, and although its probably no big deal to most people, this has become something akin to my holy grail. I'm going to do my best, and try to make sure I make good calls all day, and as you guys have said, I'm gonna stick to my guns no matter what. Thanks again.

-Meyou
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Aspie 'Baller

#12 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

I hope all went well for you.

I can only repeat what others have said;

1. NEVER back down to a player.

2. Get IN the action, if someone is getting hammered from 3 directions at a time GET IN THERE and call him out before he gets bonused balled 40 times. If you're next to him yelling, "HE'S OUT! LET HIM OUT!", they're less-likely to overshoot him AND you.

If they keep on shooting the both of you continually, call THEM out, there's no excuse for that.

Getting in the middle of things will do ALOT for you. Yes, you will get shot a little bit more but, you'll get noticed by important people aswell. Trust me.

After my first game reffing with one of the head Refs, he complimented my Reffing skillzors ;) Just because I wasn't afraid of getting my jersey dirty while the other Refs (Who have been working there for a good while) were just watching with there arms crossed on the edge of the field.

It's a tough job sometimes,
but it's worth it to me and many others.

God Bless,
Doc

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#13 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

Just got back from my first day. MUCH FUN! And pain...My legs arent used to 10 hours straight stood up. And you guys were right about getting hit a lot. I got plastered! More than some of the players! The manager was well impressed at how I stuck myself in the middle of the action and kept things running smoothly.

Had some trouble with people lifting their goggles, but I have a loud voice and after the first time I think they were affraid. Very affraid.

I got shot in the rump too...ouch....

Definitely looking forward to doing it again next saturday!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Aspie 'Baller

#14 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'm glad it's working out for you.

I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us.........

God Bless,
Doc

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#15 User is offline   loyats 

• Just a Regular Joe
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

I'll just ditto Doctor Wiggy, since he said it all. Reffing is by far the second most enjoyable thing in paintball.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users