• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PB rookie Buying a gun and need help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   xHEADSTRONGxX 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys. I'm a paintball beginner and I'm about to buy a paintball gun but don't know what to buy. Does anyone have any suggestions for a starting gun and attachments? If you could help me I would be very grateful. Thanks :huh:

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

How long have you been playing? What rental markers have you used? What did you like/dislike about them? Do you prefer to play woodsball or speedball? What's your budget? Does that include money for a mask?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Puzuma has the right idea here, they are HUNDREDS of options to choose from, and some go quite further then just "Its 150$ you cant go wrong"

about 80% of us started with the basic tippmann 98 or A-5 but i'll be the first to say that for the same price, or even a little less you can get a marker which will be more usable in more of the situations that you will get yourself into.

2 things I will add for statements:

1) make 1 list of 3 markers you would like to have in each catigory
-> Mechanical
-> Electrophneumatic
-> Pump

(dont know what some of them mean? RESEARCH. your best friend)

thats 9 possible markers, narrow it down to any 5 markers. BUT have at least 1 remain in each category.
Find relevent info on each marker, cost. ease of maintenance, parts. ect ect.
Remove 1 catigory, OR drop to 3 markers.

Research further into each marker, upgrades. barrel threading, part changing. ask some questions
then its up to you.

2)
-> many people, like myself got into paintball with the "basic" stuff, low end marker, mask tank ect. and we got a few parts and upgrades for those markers, after a few years, like myself now. were looking to sell our starter markers, becuase we got jobs. picked up a marker which suits our play style more.
But like you, when we got out first marker. we babied it. heck I STILL air up, clean out and re oil my 98 every so often. aside from scratches on the outside, it works flawlessly. So we sell our noobie gear for basically 50% off, and its still the same as buying new. ( plus you usually can get a WHOLE load extra)

basically: Dont rule out buying used if you can. you can make buying used gear safe. if you can, do it.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 17 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

I'll throw it out there though...if you aim at an electropneumatic you're going to (probably) want to get a fancy (expensive) electronic hopper to let it shoot fast.

So, generally, in terms of cost of equipment: Electropneumatic > Mechanical > Pump

A basic gravity hopper is not going to be a big deal for most mechanical markers and not at all for pumps.

I say: do some serious research on High Pressure Air (vs. CO2 - I recommend Air), and research good masks - once you pick a few, go to a shop and TRY THEM ON (you can probably find for cheaper online after). You want a mask you'll wear all day in comfort, and that doesn't fog (has a THERMAL LENS).

Keep in mind that an air tank will cost about 2x what a CO2 tank will --> $70 minimum up in Canada... but most fields refill it for free, and it is more consistent than CO2 (allowing you to shoot more accurately).
A decent mask will probably cost you about $40, to $60, to over $100 for a really nice one. Worth it, IMO.
Then, add on the cost of the gun --> you can find good used guns for $100-$300. Less, sometimes, but they may need work. Make sure the marker fires if you buy locally, and make sure if you buy online that the seller has a bunch of good feedback from other players.

#5 User is offline   Spades 

• forum pizzimp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. spades

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

cdrinkh20... i agree to disagree. Depending on what the individual likes, it can be very expensive to get a pump. Legato for example, mentioned he wants a Redux pump, which is over $1200.

BUT!!!! guns are personal preference. A spyder, or a tippmann 98, or even a Azodin Kaos pump... are good choices for starters. Azodin makes really good entry level guns that are reliable etc; Look for something reliable, good reviews on PBreview.com.

Look through some guns on a website like Actionvillage (click)

By Guns I mean Marker... I can't break the habit of calling anything that launches a projectile down a barrel of some sort a gun.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

I said in general... :rolleyes:

You could find a gun that lots of others easily outperform...but it costs way more. IE. Custom markers, in particular...

Milling, anodizing, etc - but (almost) undoubtedly, he won't be looking at anything $1200 for his first marker.

Plus, I was largely referring to extra equipment...

People that play with electropneumatics *generally* prefer more expensive (lighter) Carbon Fiber tanks, prefer electronic loaders, prefer pod packs to carry lots of extra paint... etc. As you said though - personal preference.

I'll go one day with a vest (or I did, with my 98) and my Tac One in Longbow configuration...I'll probably run my Tac One with my new Prophecy and tank on gun... I play pump in shorts and a t-shirt with just a wrist piece for tubes on my arm and a dump pouch on my leg...

It's best to start cheap to see what you like - trying out other people's stuff is a good idea too. Though you maaaay want to avoid expensive markers for trying them out, or you may be disappointed with what you buy afterwards. What you want to keep in mind is it's for learning the play the game. You'll appreciate a nice gun a lot more after you've played with an entry level one for a while.

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 17 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

#7 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

go to PbNation.com or mcarterbrown.com and pick up and mag...automag, Xmag, pnuemag, etc.

dream to shoot, great for a beginner to play with.

as far as upgrades, get a HPA tank and a high-end regulator to go with it.

then a custom vest or podpack here from S.O. with anything and everything you want.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#8 User is offline   xHEADSTRONGxX 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:33 AM

View PostPuzuma, on 17 January 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

How long have you been playing? What rental markers have you used? What did you like/dislike about them? Do you prefer to play woodsball or speedball? What's your budget? Does that include money for a mask?

I played probably about five or six times now just using my friends 98, and I really enjoyed it. Paintball was always something I feared until I played and can't get enough of it.
Of course my friend's 98 wasn't exactly the best marker. So I'm not sure I have a good feel for it yet. We played woods ball and speedball and I prefer woods ball.

#9 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kiriyama9000

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

View PostxHEADSTRONGxX, on 19 January 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

I played probably about five or six times now just using my friends 98, and I really enjoyed it. Paintball was always something I feared until I played and can't get enough of it.
Of course my friend's 98 wasn't exactly the best marker. So I'm not sure I have a good feel for it yet. We played woods ball and speedball and I prefer woods ball.

There's really nothing wrong with a 98. Its a more than decent marker.
The A5, the 98's big bro, is a little better and doesn't cost much more.

My advice would be to stay in that same vein at first. You've used the 98 a few times, so you've gotten somewhat familiar with it. If you stick with the sport and want to invest the money, upgrade to something else.

Either way, you're going to have fun.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Once again, it's all a personal preference. I'm a woodsballer, and I tend to play the silent stalker type. I decided to go with the whole "ambush/sniper" side of things. I have my 98custom, and after a few mods, I loved it. It was probably the best starting marker for me. On the other hand, my buddy who got into paintball at the same time as me, he's a big fan of the Rambo movies. He's the one out there trying to get accuracy by volume. He's also the one who get's out on 99% of games, but he doesn't mind, he loves the addrenaline of running and gunning. He got the tippmann A-5. As someone said before, 98% of us started on Tippmann's. But don't rely on that. Spend time around this forum. see what other ppl are saying about markers. pbreview is also a great resource. Just remember, people on the internet aren't the end all say for what's good and what's not, don't trust everything you read/see.

Another tip, and this is my opinion but I'm sure most will back me up here. Before you sink money into the marker itself, get yourself a good mask. Go to your local paintball shop and talk with the people there. Most of the time they'll let you try on different masks. I would play with a wrist rocket (sling shot) and a Great mask before I'd play with one of them $1000 super guns and a crappy mask. My recommendation is the V-force Profiler, but once again, try them on yourself. If you wear glasses there are better or worse masks for you.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but You will have to decide. I don't play like you do, I don't play where you play, I don't have the resources you might. But since you asked for my opinion, I say start with a Tippmann. You can go with the basic 98custom, the A-5, or even the pump SL68II, all of which which can be slowly modded to any way you want to play, but five years from now, It'll still be a tippmann and you'll want to upgrade.

Last, and not least, check out Pawn Shops, go to craigslist, search forums for items for sale. EVERYTHING is negotiable. If you see a marker, that you've been researching, for sale used somewhere, talk them down in price and you get it cheaper than you would buy new, and under most circumstances you won't regret it. Alot of people buy a marker, use it a few times and decide it's not for them. So they may not have been used for more than a few games at most.

My opinion.

#11 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to the forums.

First, congratulations on becoming addicted to paintball. It's a lot of fun.

Second, you've already taken the first step towards deciding what gun you want to buy. You answered part of your own question here:

View PostxHEADSTRONGxX, on 19 January 2011 - 05:33 AM, said:

Of course my friend's 98 wasn't exactly the best marker.

So you didn't like the Tippmann. In that case, you will likely want to avoid the other Tippmanns (A5, X7, etc). The BT-4 series of markers are of similar design (though in my opinion better). If you liked aspects of the Tippmann but didn't like others, you might want to take a look at the BT-4.

One really good choice is to look for a used automag. Automags are, from a purely performance standpoint, superior to Tippmanns in every way. They carry a very loyal following online, and you can readily track down people who can walk you through maintenance/troubleshooting if it ever comes up. The only thing to pay attention to is the valve - if it's an X-valve, do not use CO2. The X-valve mags are HPA only.

I would personally recommend avoiding electropneumatics at this stage unless you can afford an HPA tank. If you are going HPA, then electros are great choices, and there are plenty of used ones in the $200-250 range to pick from. Find one you like and go for it.

As much as you may want to go out and buy a crazy fast hopper for that electro, you don't really have to up front. Most electros come with eyes, which prevent it from chopping paint. You won't be able to use the gun to its fullest potential, but you will be able to gain all the other benefits of an electro in the process.

But....

The number 1 investment you must make is in your mask!!! I cannot stress this enough. It's one of the easiest things to overlook, and when overlooked it can make a great day of paintball turn downright miserable.

I think that's about the summary. Feel free to ask more questions.
Member of Team Akkadian

#12 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Another suggestion, ask other players if you can "test fire" one of their markers or even play a game with it. That's how I've found some markers that I liked. Granted, some people will be total jack asses and tell you to go fly a kite. Others will be more then willing to let you try their marker out, even play a game or two with it. I've done that in the past. Someone comes up and is curious about my marker set up, I'll often let them play a game with it to see if they like the set up or the marker as a whole. Give them an idea what they want and don't want when they choose to buy a marker of their own.
If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#13 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

View PostThalion, on 19 January 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

The number 1 investment you must make is in your mask!!! I cannot stress this enough. It's one of the easiest things to overlook, and when overlooked it can make a great day of paintball turn downright miserable.

A mask is a definite MUST HAVE. Nothing sucks more than using a low end mask and it fogs up during play.

Something else for you to consider is HPA vs CO2. When you figure out what your budget is, tank price can be a huge factor too.

CO2tanks have the advantage of being a lot less expensive. In my area a 20oz tank is roughly $30.00 new. CO2also get more shots per volume than HPA.

HPA tanks vary in price based on size, material and manufacturer. I can get a 50ci/4500psi Ninja tank for $215.00 or a Pure Energy tank the same size for $193.00. the Ninja is carbon fiber and the Pure Energy is Aluminum with a fiber wrap. HPA has the advantage of being a lot more consistent in all weather conditions and during rapid firing.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#14 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

1st being the Mask, as always =3

2nd, just as important, and genuinely comes with all paintball gun, A barrel sock, No Plugs please, A barrel tip cover
....so...not to worry...unless the gun you buy ends up having just the plug...
3rd, HPA be a considerable investment, (for all the good things Puzuma pointed out) and you can utilize it on Any marker (Co2 not being preferred for electro pneumatic markers)

4th, IMO
in this kind of economy at the moment, If you go the route of an Electro Pneumatic marker, You'll most likely be paying and spraying more than the usual lump sum of players out there, Therefor...expending and dishing out More cash...

I'd heavily suggest either a semi auto (Tippmann comes to mind) or a pump.
it'll be more eco friendly, less expensive, and you'd be teaching yourself valuable lessons about precision, (not accuracy by volume) Not to mention, having a marker that works in every kind of weather condition known to mankind.

5th, good pair of cleats, soccer cleats can be cheap too, In tough terrains, Combat boots can be useful too (I roll with the first)

6th, while not nessessary, but If you feel the need for it, wear some basic BDU combat fatigues, jogging sweater, and pants. DO Not go extravagant and buy a crap load of tactical gear for the looks...or tournament gear.
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#15 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Alternative to cleats: trail running shoes.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users