• You cannot reply to this topic

newbs and guns Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tippmann addict 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:tippmann addict

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

haha so the other day, this kid i know wanted to start playing paintball with us and was like what gun should i get. and i told him the tippmann 98 cuz its cheap, easy to work with and upgradable. and he was like no way tippmann sucks, i think the viewloader and all them are better. so he went out and bought a viewloader???? wow dumb huh! for real i had my tippmann 98 custom pro for 4 years and have it upgraded with g36 stuff and scopes and all and it works as the best gun i ever shot. but i guess viewloader is better??
Si vis pacem, para bellum."

if u want peace prepare for war

official sabre, go for the gold! TIPPMANN GO ALL THE WAY!

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

It's all preference. Under the criteria you mentioned of, "cheap, easy to work with, and upgradable" Viewloaders work just fine. In some ways they are easier to work with than a 98 Custom since you don't have to deal with their clamshell design. Viewloaders have the same practical upgrades as every other marker in the sense that they can be outfitted with a different barrel and air source. That's generally the most any marker needs. Most everything else like your G36 modification is predominately aesthetic. There's also a point where having something that is upgradable isn't really a good thing - usually the more upgradable something is the more it was missing to begin with. For what a lot of people spend on buying parts for their markers they could have purchased a far nicer marker to begin with. With Tippmann's production moved to China I wouldn't necessarily say they use any higher quality of materials. They took a nose dive in quality one they started coming out with clamshell designs like the Model 98 and with their outsourcing they have taken another.

In that price range for a new marker I would probably chose a mechanical Piranha or one of the new inexpensive Autocockers that have come out. However, in that price range I think you get a better deal purchasing a slightly used marker. You can get used Automags and older Tippmanns like the Pro/Carbine for the same price and you can get a much more nicely crafted marker.

This post has been edited by Piller: 29 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Should be in GPD methinks. Anyways...

Viewloaders are cheap and easy to maintain. I tend to see a lot of the new players at my home field show up with them on their first day. Of course 90% of the time I end up having to replace the main spring before they even get a game in. Then about two weeks later I end up having to replace the o-rings.

While I am not a huge fan of the reliablity of the Viewloader markers and other Wal-Mart Spyder clones, I do love the fact they get more people into the sport. I would rather see kids start off with the Wal-Mart guns than have them start out with an Ego, Cyborg, or other high end. With a Spyder clone they can at least get the basics down and if they do not like the sport they are only out $100 instead of the $1800 of some high ends.

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hmm... Seems to me many members here would apply the description you used on you.

Why use a 98?

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...scAAAELXKkycbqV

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...yIAAAEZ4w6glGLY

Both packages are almost identical yet the Ion is $70.00 cheaper. Ion has lots of upgrades, it easy to work with....

Did you bother to find out if he was looking for something woodsball or speedball related or what kind of upgrade he was talking about? Did you find out how serious he was about playing? Once or twice a year? Monthly? Weekly? What kind of budget does have?

Calling him dumb for going for a Viewloader? I'd guess you didn't bother with questions.

Blind fanboyism certainly helps promote the sport.

Moved to GPD
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   light-u-up 

• Everybody needs seizures!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:light-u-up

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

View Posttippmann addict, on Sep 29 2008, 06:20 PM, said:

it works as the best gun i ever shot.

thats sad.

#6 User is offline   ikill4n2 

• speedball ftw
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:alec

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:23 PM

View Posttippmann addict, on Sep 29 2008, 05:20 PM, said:

haha so the other day, this kid i know wanted to start playing paintball with us and was like what gun should i get. and i told him the tippmann 98 cuz its cheap, easy to work with and upgradable. and he was like no way tippmann sucks, i think the viewloader and all them are better. so he went out and bought a viewloader???? wow dumb huh! for real i had my tippmann 98 custom pro for 4 years and have it upgraded with g36 stuff and scopes and all and it works as the best gun i ever shot. but i guess viewloader is better??

i agree that is quite sad

This post has been edited by ikill4n2: 30 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

HK ARMY
i rock a shocker
roll guns not blunts
Alabamian #5
free agent

#7 User is online   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:27 PM

View Posttippmann addict, on Sep 29 2008, 03:20 PM, said:

Ha, what an idiot, a Tippmann 98c is the perfect starter gun!!! Its a Tippmann, its simple to use, easily upgradable(Just like all tippmanns), and it is really cheap, but durable, the PERFECT gun for a new player. -MNSC :P
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#8 User is offline   WoodsSniper 

• R.I.P. Dime
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

View PostMinnesota Sn1p3r, on Sep 30 2008, 05:27 PM, said:

View Posttippmann addict, on Sep 29 2008, 03:20 PM, said:

Ha, what an idiot, a Tippmann 98c is the perfect starter gun!!! Its a Tippmann, its simple to use, easily upgradable(Just like all tippmanns), and it is really cheap, but durable, the PERFECT gun for a new player. -MNSC :P

You too have probably never shot anything other than a Tippmann. I too love Tippmann but my angel and autococker greatly outperform my a-5. Calling someone an idiot is not going to solve anything.
All I'm gonna do is just go on and do what I feel. - Jimi Hendrix
Feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=164293

My teams home field, take a look, especially if your from Mississippi
http://thomaspaintball.weebly.com/index.html

#9 User is offline   Iron Eagle 

• Emotionally Exhausted & Morally Bankrupt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Angry Badger

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

Its all about personal preference. If he doesn't like Tippmann, thats ok. Not every gun is right for everybody.
Ambassador of intelligence, deliverer of logic, mirror to the obvious

#10 User is offline   mass destruction 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

I reallyneed to find out tippmanns secret mind control techniques.

A truly good gun doesn't need much or any "upgrading". A truly good gun is one you can buy the way you want it, or put it together yourself, like a palmer, a phantom, or a carter gun, or a completely custom autococker. The "perfect" starter gun is the one that you play with the first time.
(quote-Iron Eagle) This is why my preferred way of death is strapping a bomb to myself, walking into PETA HQ and detonating it.
(Quote-weltmaker2000) I don't call my guns pumps. I refer to them as euthanizers of the stupid.

#11 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:59 PM

The ONLY thing that I like about the clam shell design of 98s (my first marker) was that I was able to see how it worked. Otherwise, it's really a pain and why I cut mine into 3 pieces (see sig).

I think that the 98 is a good starter, but a really good one might be an obsolete field rental, like a Piranha or Pro/Carbine. They are soo cheap, and most can be picked up at the fields themselves. A better barrel and some new consumable parts (o-rings) and you're good to go with a good marker.

#12 User is offline   Buckfrenzy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Buckfrenzy

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Tippmann makes really crappy guns out of solid materials. Good for them. I had one for almost a year, and it sucked. Every other gun I have ever used/owned has shot better.
Proud member of Shogun PSP and Jolly Green.
JOLLY GREEN
BUY MY PUMP

#13 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:46 AM

So here's what I've got so far. tippmann fanboi- check.

a YEAR somewhere between april of 2008 and yesterday (september 29, 2008) - check

other tippmann fanboi with obligatory "sniper" somewhere in the name - check.

.... I need beer.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#14 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:45 AM

View Postmass destruction, on Sep 30 2008, 09:39 PM, said:

I reallyneed to find out tippmanns secret mind control techniques.

A truly good gun doesn't need much or any "upgrading". A truly good gun is one you can buy the way you want it, or put it together yourself, like a palmer, a phantom, or a carter gun, or a completely custom autococker. The "perfect" starter gun is the one that you play with the first time.

Agreed. I need to find out what they are using to make so many blindly follow them without ever looking away. It must be some serious stuff, either something they make you eat, or they coat the markers in it and it seeps into your skin, making you addicted. I think there are people addicted and wasted in opium dens in china that have less of a blind following of the opium then some of the tippy fan bois.

And totally agreed on your second point. A truly good marker needs no upgrades. It is perfect out of the box. The only thing you may change would be the sticky grips on it, and possibly a feedneck (grips are a personal preference thing). If you buy something and HAVE to spend X many hundred dollars "upgrading it and making it yours" you wasted a boat load of money then. Should have just spent all the money on one marker that needed no ups.

View PostEthrealwolf, on Oct 1 2008, 04:46 AM, said:

So here's what I've got so far. tippmann fanboi- check.

a YEAR somewhere between april of 2008 and yesterday (september 29, 2008) - check

other tippmann fanboi with obligatory "sniper" somewhere in the name - check.

.... I need beer.

yesh, go have your beer. Bad wolfy. :D And get me one too.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#15 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:36 AM

I know Im a catch Hell for this...my Spyder MR1 performs alot better than my A5 and not to mention, its alot easier to use and maintain while standing in the rain...hey that rhymed, I should be a Rapper!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users