• You cannot reply to this topic

OMG GLOBAL WARMING Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Driving in Pittsburgh in the winter. Doesnt matter if you have a smart car, or an SUV, some roads are just impassible. The roads here are insane. Until you drive here, you truly would not understand the extent of the suckage that is our road system.

"Dunedin, New Zealand claims to have the steepest street in the world (Baldwin Street). However, recent measurements have found the grade to be 35%, not 38% as had been previously thought. Thus, Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Beechview) could make a claim with its 37% grade."
--http://www.geographylists.com/list17y.html

I mistakenly went down Canton Avenue with 4 inches of snow covering ice during the winter. it was the scariest moment ever for me driving.
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#47 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have to agree with the 4x4 /= invincible theory. I drive a "4x4" for work and have seen it sit and spin all 6 tires and go nowhere with over eight thousand pounds over the axle. It's actually kinda comical. On the other hand my personal vehicle is a 2 wheel drive pickup with no posi, and have not been able to go somewhere only once and that was my parents uphill driveway covered in a sheet of ice. I've got some decent weight in the back, excellent snow tires (not studded tires, in fact I don't know anyone who has studded tires), and I know how to drive in the snow. I've been passed by 4x4s on the highway thinking they're all good with 4 spinning and then a minute later I pass them in the ditch or median. My brother drives an Eclipse, and he's never been stuck either. Good tires and knowing how to drive in the snow. So I think the best snow driving tips I can think of for those of you who don't get much practice at it have already been stated in previous posts: just slow it down, go easy on the curves and make sure you have decent tires. Or AAA. :) And avoid cities, too. The closer I get to one the more I run into those scary drivers who seem to lose their minds when white stuff is falling from the sky.

Bear

This post has been edited by The Bear: 13 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Ahaha did you make it through the storm? Haha my school has only gotten out two days of school this year and like twenty two hour late starts because my city is inefficient at snow removal
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#49 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Y'all should seriously consider doing a Canada road trip in the winter, honestly when pass a snow drift higher then your car, I can honestly say, with no doubt.
the entire thought of driving in the snow becomes very, very different lol

Also im still SO confused on why you south people close down schools when snow comes.
we had a student come last year from the south and right now, with snow up to his waist he CANNOT fathom, under normal brain function that our school is still open. and we all laugh at him.

#50 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostEskimo, on 17 January 2011 - 08:05 PM, said:

Y'all should seriously consider doing a Canada road trip in the winter, honestly when pass a snow drift higher then your car, I can honestly say, with no doubt.
the entire thought of driving in the snow becomes very, very different lol

Also im still SO confused on why you south people close down schools when snow comes.
we had a student come last year from the south and right now, with snow up to his waist he CANNOT fathom, under normal brain function that our school is still open. and we all laugh at him.

Totally. I'm on a cul-de-sac (spelling?) and we tend to just push all the snow on our driveways and the patch of road in front of our houses on to a central "island". In front of my house, it's at least 12 feet high, atm.... and that's ignoring that the sides of my driveway have drifts around 6ft or so, also (the lawn itself probably has 2-4 feet on its own?). :D

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users