• You cannot reply to this topic

Mask Cleaning Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   RedAE 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:RedAE

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

I recently purchased a JT Proteus II Chameleon mask from a friend, he had said it was in good condition but now that I have its not so good. There are some small sratches on the lense(thermal) but what worries me more are smudges that are not coming out. They're small but a little distracting. I've got the mask stripped down and the lense out, is it okay to put a thermal lense in hot water, boil it? How about window cleaner?

What do you brigade members suggest?
Oh, my God, Mr. President, the Alien Overlords crashed a family reunion somewhere in Southwest Louisiana. Early reports indicate that the Conquerers of 10,000 Worlds made, and I quote: ‘A damn fine jambalaya.’ Unquote.

#2 User is offline   ImpLin 

• Undisputed king of FUNK
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Evan

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Never use glass cleaner, just water. If water doesnt do the job then I would get a new lense.
Legalize it.

#3 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

Jus use water and Lint Free Cotton Towels.

#4 User is offline   RedAE 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:02 PM

Now that I've got it apart it's looking like its in pretty rough shape, I might just buy a new thermal lense. We'll see how it works out ;)

Never use glass cleaner, just water.

Out of curiosity howcome?
Oh, my God, Mr. President, the Alien Overlords crashed a family reunion somewhere in Southwest Louisiana. Early reports indicate that the Conquerers of 10,000 Worlds made, and I quote: ‘A damn fine jambalaya.’ Unquote.

#5 User is offline   The Judge 

• Deranged Bystander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:A-5 Assassin

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

Get a microfiber cloth, it's a lot like under armor. It is better than paper towels, and it wont scratch. Also, use a 50/50 solution of rubbing alcohol and water. If micro cloth and alcohol don't do it, you need a new one.

Never use glass cleaner, just water.

Out of curiosity howcome?

Because thermal lenses have a thermal coating on them (DUH) which glass cleaner can remove. It's horrible.

This post has been edited by A-5 Assassin: 03 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

TAW Paintball: The best Scenario ball in the west! / Join Pumpers of America

The Sabre isn't "slashing and stabbing" so much as perpetually poking the enemy until they make a mistake. - Flakk

Sling mud and argue for my entertainment

#6 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

that's not the reason why.

majority of Window cleaners have ammonia in them, which will cause micro-fractures in the polycarbonate used for paintball lenses. it severly weakens them. depending on the concentration of ammonia, and the brand of lens, it can also pit the lenses.

If the lens you have is actually the single pane anti-fog lens, it will eat through the anti-fog layer (which is actually a thin layer of specially treated plastic that is baked onto the lens)

I generally use a dishsoap, like DAWN, and some hot tap water. You DONT want to use boiling water. you might cause the seal between the two panes to separate if it is a thermal lens.

This post has been edited by sartek: 03 April 2006 - 03:23 PM

"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#7 User is offline   ImpLin 

• Undisputed king of FUNK
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Evan

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:21 PM

View Postsartek, on Apr 3 2006, 03:20 PM, said:

that's not the reason why.

majority of Window cleaners have ammonia in them, which will cause micro-fractures in the polycarbonate used for paintball lenses. it severly weakens them. depending on the concentration of ammonia, and the brand of lens, it can also pit the lenses.

What he said.
Legalize it.

#8 User is offline   The Judge 

• Deranged Bystander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:A-5 Assassin

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

You'll find that sartek has an uncanny ability to make people like me look dumb. That's because I am :D. Way to go Sartek.
TAW Paintball: The best Scenario ball in the west! / Join Pumpers of America

The Sabre isn't "slashing and stabbing" so much as perpetually poking the enemy until they make a mistake. - Flakk

Sling mud and argue for my entertainment

#9 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

Is it that difficult jus to use Plain Water to clean a mask?

But nooooooo!, everyone wants to be so technical.....

#10 User is offline   RedAE 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Makes sense, I've determined that I need a replacement lense anyway. I'll keep this in mind, thank you.

#11 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

View PostEvil Fingers, on Apr 3 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

Is it that difficult jus to use Plain Water to clean a mask?

But nooooooo!, everyone wants to be so technical.....

Yup. :D
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#12 User is offline   Femur Breaker 

• ^^^HeadshotPhantom makes a sweet avatar
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Femur Breaker

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

Some of the ultimate mask cleaning information....just some suggestions.

Cleaning Your Mask:

Here is what you will need:
-Toilet paper
-A soft clean cloth
-Can of Plexus lens cleaner
-Fogtech bottle or wipes-what ever you prefer

Prior to playing paintball, follow these directions to insure a clean and fog free mask:

Clean your mask’s lens inside and out with Plexus lens cleaner. A little goes a long way here guys so spray the cleaner conservatively. There’s no need to over spray and throw valuable paintball money down the drain.

Now with your soft cloth gently wipe the lens until its dry and streak free. You may need to do this for a minute or two periodically turning the cloth to a dry spot. Your mask should be crystal clear and streak free. If you cannot get a hold of Plexus, then the next best solution should be a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol. Plexus is what we recommend for true clarity of your lens as water and alcohol may leave streaks.

Now apply a coat of Fogtech to the inside of your lens. Apply the Fogtech as if you were “painting” a thin layer onto the inside of your mask. Don't wipe it dry. It will dry crystal clear and may last well over a 4 hours, depending on your level of perspiration.

IMPORTANT: Do not get it wet, once it is dry!

Once Fogtech is applied to your mask do not get the inside of your mask wet with water. Fogtech has a chemical reaction to water and will need to be reapplied if it gets wet.

What about between games? The method used to clean and care for your goggles between games:

If you get gogged or have a lot of splatter from playing, wipe the lens first with a damp handful of toilet paper. Try to stay away from paper towel as it is more coarse and may scratch your lens. Be thorough in wiping the paint away from the lens, as you don't want your cloth that is used along with the Plexus to pick up any paint.

If your cloth does get any paint on it, the Plexus will cause it to smear and will degrade the clarity of your lens. Now, once the paint is removed thoroughly, apply Plexus to the outside lens and wipe clear. Do not over spray your mask with Plexus, as you do not want the Plexus to interact with the Fogtech you have applied to the inside of your mask.

Wipe the lens clean the same way you would prior to play. Using this method of cleaning your mask between games will keep your lens free of any paint, which can cause the integrity of the lens to degrade over time.

Thoroughly cleaning your mask regularly will insure that your mask will last much longer thus keeping your eye protection in good condition. Maintaining your gear such as your mask is an excellent way to play it safe while enjoying the sport of paintball, and playing it safe will keep you in the game for years to come.
I joined Myspace: Who wants to be my friend?...lol
Broken Bones Member (2 Femurs....!)
IPB Image

#13 User is offline   ^NightHawk^ 

• Member of SBA Team
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:^NightHawk^

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:27 AM

never use any type of window cleaner that wil reck your lens just use water and they shud come off.

#14 User is offline   D00M2007 

• Ohhhh...You touch my Tralala...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:D00M2007

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:59 PM

The cheapest solution was stated before, 50/50 water/rubbing alcohol mix, I use it, does wonders, even got some paint that was on for 6 months. Hey not my mask by the way lol.
I could use an electro for speedball, and a pump for woodsball, but I will/do use a mechanical for both.
Shoot the walking bushes.
In a Democracy, the Government is Afraid of the People, not the People Afraid of the Government.
If you can't see what you're shooting at, chances are you shouldn't be shooting.
View My Special Ops Brigade Page

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users